iSmart Cost?

MoDolph

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
My LEAF's app is still working (most of the time anyway) after 8.5 years without having to do/pay anything so I assumed it was the same for everybody.

However, I've recently learnt that the Kia app is only free for 7 years and the Hyundai version for 5. After this there may be a substantial subscription fee.

Does anybody know what the situation is with the MG iSmart app? Since I plan to keep the car for 10+ years this is something to consider.

My LEAF's app is still working (most of the time anyway) after 8.5 years without having to do/pay anything so I assumed it was the same for everybody.

However, I've recently learnt that the Kia app is only free for 7 years and the Hyundai version for 5. After this there may be a substantial subscription fee.

Does anybody know what the situation is with the MG iSmart app? Since I plan to keep the car for 10+ years this is something to consider.
I've looked into this and at the moment it's free, let's hope it stays that way.

I've looked into this and at the moment it's free, let's hope it stays that way.
Have we had any further developments on this? Have had one reviewer suggest it is free for 1 year only?

I would be very surprised if they started charging for the app seen as it is a feature of the car and was sold with no possibly charges being mentioned.
Nothing surprises me anymore. Toyota is doing it. Tesla is doing it. A car is no longer just a car. Attached photo is a screen grab of the Australian terms and conditions for the iSmart app.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 211
The App provides a few features more than can be obtained from the car but I can't say that I place huge value on it. The most potentially useful function of preheating not working whilst plugged in hardly helps.

The App provides a few features more than can be obtained from the car but I can't say that I place huge value on it. The most potentially useful function of preheating not working whilst plugged in hardly helps.
The most useful of which being the ‘Find my car’ function. :ROFLMAO: In my case anyway.

All Connected Services, including the app are for 5 years from date of registation.

The Car Display screen is very clear that all services will terminate 5 years from registration , if they allow you to pay to reactivate them after that has not been made clear by MG

So the best you can do is know it will work for 5 years and no more. (any renewal is a bonus)

IMG_5526.jpg

I must be lucky. My car will preheat from the app even if it is plugged in from an overnight charge. It does start the car charging again, but on these cold mornings I'll take paying for 10 minutes charging at peak rate for the comfort and ease of window clearing.

My car doesn't send the signal to the wall box to engage charging again, so preheating doesn't work if plugged in but not charging.

One thing which I don't know if anyone else has tried yet - I haven't, it's just come to me - use the charge screen in the app to Start Charging and then try preheating?

My car doesn't send the signal to the wall box to engage charging again, so preheating doesn't work if plugged in but not charging.

One thing which I don't know if anyone else has tried yet - I haven't, it's just come to me - use the charge screen in the app to Start Charging and then try preheating?

I have found if I charge to 90% then in the morning I move the slider to 100% in the app I can start preheating without going out in the snow, but as I charge to 100% normally, I just go out unplug it and start preheating from the battery as I would rather preheat with the cheap 5p electric from overnight than expensive day electricity.

I think the preheat checks cp/pp signalling to check if charging is active before using battery power. When plugged in it must be seeing the signalling as non active and errors instead of using battery power..all theory. When an active charge is discovered life is hunky dory

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back