Its amazing how ice drivers are environment experts

The one I hate the most is the argument of "I just don't think electric cars are ready yet".
It's a poor argument. Who will announce when they are ready... Brian Cox? Martin Lewis? Jeremy Clarkson?
We now have Liberty Charge units and reserved EV bays in the terrace streets of our town, so that argument is gone.
The 250 mile range is enough for 360 days a year, with rapid chargers next to motorways for the other days.
The only argument I can't ever win is... my spreadsheet proving 5.7p per mile is somehow not as reliable as some stranger who they once met that said that they have an electric car but haven't noticed it being cheaper... seriously? Did you check it wasn't a hybrid?
5.7p per mile!? You're being robbed. My MG5 is running at 1.1p per mile.

Lol the ice brigade know all but when they see your car and all the benefits they go quiet 👍😊

I bought a new really expensive kitchen = Wow that looks good.
I fitted solar panels = Are they really value for money, what's the payback?

I bought a flashy sports car / large SUV = wow, nice car
I bought an EV = Aren't they more expensive?

I bought a new really expensive kitchen = Wow that looks good.
I fitted solar panels = Are they really value for money, what's the payback?

I bought a flashy sports car / large SUV = wow, nice car
I bought an EV = Aren't they more expensive?
They're not altogether comparable, especially the kitchen /solar panels one. You haven't bought solar panels for the aesthetics, you've bought them as an alternate supply of electricity, and whether or not that makes sense economically is the key aspect, unless you've bought them solely to avoid use of fossil fuels. Kitchens beyond their basic functionality are a lot about their looks, especially a "really expensive kitchen", with absolutely no payback, unless you're running a commercial kitchen. So people are addressing the key aspect of each item.

With the cars it's more nuanced, EV's are unfamiliar to people, so if people are asking questions based on what they're heard in the media, that's a good thing, as long as they are willing to listen.

How are you guys getting this kind of p/mile?
I'm assuming you have solar or something? Or using mainly free chargers?
Go at night at 5p/unit plus solar around 50% of total.
Some free charging, 22kw at Osprey plus a free Pod Point at Tescos

Also factor in the disposal of lithium batteries as well as mining the stuff. I'm not against EVs in any shape or form, indeed driving one is a revelation. I'm merely pointing out that they are not as green as you'd think. Having said that there's no question that they are the future, unless a form of non polluting fuel for ICE engines can be found that could be manufactured cheaply, which isn't likely I'd admit.
Batteries are recycled, or reused as storage. Not much waste of them. Wonders how much old oil is recycled and how often 🤔

Go at night at 5p/unit plus solar around 50% of total.
Some free charging, 22kw at Osprey plus a free Pod Point at Tescos
Ah right, for us, I will have to work out if it works for us as we use quite a bit during the day too which will be more expensive on off peak tariff.
But yes, Tesco point will work for wifey as she has two old ladies she takes shopping so that's 4 hours of free electricity per week. Happy days!

Oh if we're including not paying for it.. I've just hit 3500 miles for £3.50 the cost of 2 monthly balance charges at home. Works solar covers the rest and the 1 time I've used ccs for a longer round trip it was a bonnet freebie. Until the government starts throwing some tax into play, my car is going to buy itself in savings.

The environmental impact of EVs is greatly reduced by taking out the batteries when they become tired and repurposing them into home energy storage where weight and volume are not an issue.
In this way an EV battery might have a life of 20 plus years before being responsibly recycled.
Have not yet seen this done at a large scale although there are some eccentric people, mainly in the backwoods of the US, who do all sorts of useful things with discarded EV batteries.

My 5 also costs me less than 1pence pm to run, I currently charge 95% on solar energy as I'm lucky enough to have the time a facility at work and home. So although I purchased it for life time cost saving and drivability I feel it also is much greener than my ICE car was. However I'm happy for all ICE drivers to rubbish ev's and not get one, always been flat earthers and that won't change.

A guy at work finally got his hands on a tesla model 3 company car, he got rid of it after a month :unsure:.
When i asked why he said the company only give him 5p per mile for the fuel so it cost him to recharge it.
So i asked how much he was saving in the reduction in tax.
That's when you could see his realisation of oops.
Then came the but i can't do the mileage without charging, i need to do 370 miles in a day.
So i said don't you take a break while your driving such distances for food/toilet, so you could charge in that time.

Tbh he's a tad simple but clever enough to butt lick his way up.

A guy at work finally got his hands on a tesla model 3 company car, he got rid of it after a month :unsure:.
When i asked why he said the company only give him 5p per mile for the fuel so it cost him to recharge it.
So i asked how much he was saving in the reduction in tax.
That's when you could see his realisation of oops.
Then came the but i can't do the mileage without charging, i need to do 370 miles in a day.
So i said don't you take a break while your driving such distances for food/toilet, so you could charge in that time.

Tbh he's a tad simple but clever enough to butt lick his way up.
Luddites abound through all ages, the need to look at the whole picture.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom