Journey planning and charging

I have been looking to get one of these full Android boxes but the prices have gone quiet a bit up in recent months. I have seen people buying the 4+64GB latest specs for as low as Ā£75 here but now nothing less than Ā£150. So waiting for them to come back down in price. Itā€™s just a small android box at the end of the day which shouldnā€™t be more than Ā£50-Ā£70 ideally.

I tried all but nothing worked consistently until I bought AAWireless, which so far is working like a dream.
Question for @Gomev - thanks for posting this. I have the AAwireless box too but cannot get Android Auto/Google Assistant to function properly. It's driving me crazy. The one thing that doesn't work properly is "Hey Google". It will respond with the bar at the bottom of the screen but won't accept the instruction. It just disappears. It will work once, when first powered up but after that, nothing. It isn't the AAWireless box, that works fine and it is the same if I unplug AAwireless and use a cable direct to the phone (Galaxy S21 Ultra). Any ideas?

...sorry if this is a hijack but I am seriously considering the AI box that @MichaelJHunt is using. Looks like it will do the job and let me sleep at night!

Question for @Gomev - thanks for posting this. I have the AAwireless box too but cannot get Android Auto/Google Assistant to function properly. It's driving me crazy. The one thing that doesn't work properly is "Hey Google". It will respond with the bar at the bottom of the screen but won't accept the instruction. It just disappears. It will work once, when first powered up but after that, nothing. It isn't the AAWireless box, that works fine and it is the same if I unplug AAwireless and use a cable direct to the phone (Galaxy S21 Ultra). Any ideas?

...sorry if this is a hijack but I am seriously considering the AI box that @MichaelJHunt is using. Looks like it will do the job and let me sleep at night!
I usually use the 'speak' button on the steering wheel rather than addressing Google directly, just press and hold the button and speak without saying Hey Google.
I have found though that you have to give the right commands (whatever the hell they are I just guess!!!) or it just ignores you.
For example when setting the satnav for a destination I preface with 'Navigate to.....' This then uses whichever navigation app I last used - I'm experimenting between Google Maps, Waze and AmiGo (Tomtom). At the moment leaning towards AmiGo for day to day but hard not to use the trusted Google maps for longer journeys.
P.S. I always set the satnav these days (on silent) regardless of length of journey or whether I know where I'm going or not. It has saved me on several occasions from long delays on routes I know like the back of my hand when something unexpected has happened ahead of me.

Ah, I see. Somehow I thought the wheel button was for the cars system only, not to connect to Android Auto. I have rarely used the onboard satnav, I mainly use Google Maps and ABRP for longer journeys (I have a dongle in the OBD port full-time).

I have to go from Swansea to Newport today, 70-odd miles each way so no need for ABRP. I will experiment with this.

FYI, if I have AA connected and I say, when stationary, Hey Google, wait for response, what's the weather today, it will work perfectly. Once I am moving however (which is when you need the handsfree) I get no response.:cry:

Ah, I see. Somehow I thought the wheel button was for the cars system only, not to connect to Android Auto. I have rarely used the onboard satnav, I mainly use Google Maps and ABRP for longer journeys (I have a dongle in the OBD port full-time).

I have to go from Swansea to Newport today, 70-odd miles each way so no need for ABRP. I will experiment with this.

FYI, if I have AA connected and I say, when stationary, Hey Google, wait for response, what's the weather today, it will work perfectly. Once I am moving however (which is when you need the handsfree) I get no response.:cry:
Interesting, I will experiment with Hey Jude Google.
You still need to wait after pressing the speak button for the box to appear and be ready, and keep that button pressed until you are done.
The Hey thing should be easier in theory but I feel like a wally saying it. šŸ˜‚ Curiously though I have no similar thoughts in addressing her in the corner as Alexa. Perhaps it a name thing.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom