CathP

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi. Beginners question
Is it possible to jumpstart a traditional vehicle from my MG4?
If so how would I go about it?
Thanks in advance

It's a 12V battery, probably at the same Ah as a Nissan Micra. Given that either is backed by their running engine (ICE or mega 400V battery) I'd say the recipient car will start and if not, the 12V battery is still being charged by the traction battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't risk it, IMO there are too many electronics that may get fried when the ICE car starts up and starts throwing 100A or more out from its alternator to fill its 12V and yours.
I'd just lend them my 12V boost starter pack.

I wouldn't risk it, IMO there are too many electronics that may get fried when the ICE car starts up and starts throwing 100A or more out from its alternator to fill its 12v and yours.
I'd just lend them my 12v boost starter pack.
What’s a 12V booster starter pack?

From the handbook........

20240419_185119.jpg

20240419_185557.jpg

Think that’s to jump start your mg4. I want to jumpstart my motorhome from my mg4
It's generic.
It just shows two cars.
The principle is the same whatever your jumping.

The worst thing that will happen is that it won't jump your motor home.

Agreed above, you are probably asking too much of the little 12V battery in an MG4 to jump a 2.0D?? engine.

Either have a battery optimiser (trickle charger) set up for your motor home or as per another post get a suitable jump pack.

The cheapest option is make sure the battery is fully charged, then disconnect it til you want it to start the engine.

You could use the booster (jump start) cables to charge up (boost) the motorhome battery*, but there's no way I would leave them connected to my EV whilst turning the ignition on the motorhome. The voltage spikes coming back down the cable to the EV could cause all sorts of issues. (The electronics may not be designed to withstand such conditions, as they're not typically present in an EV given that there's no alternator).

* In this case you may be better using a normal battery charger.

Even if it's possible to do so I wouldn't. Apart from frying the electrics the MG4 only has a small 12v battery and probably hasn't enough power to start the motorhome anyway.

The safest option is to get lithium starter pack. Not only will it start your motorhome safely but handy to keep in the MG4 just in case.

https://amzn.eu/d/9tmUyZo

Hi. Beginners question
Is it possible to jumpstart a traditional vehicle from my MG4?
If so how would I go about it?
Thanks in advance
No and you must never try this.

It isn't just about the weedy size of your 12V battery, the loads on the system could damage your MG4's electrical system (it is not designed to do this).

This is something that needs to be advertised more widely with EVs: never jump start an ICE vehicle.

Last edited:
I'm like most of the people above - there's no way I would try and bump start any other car from mine as there's too much risk of frying something.

Just to reinforce the above. The MG4 battery is probably intended to start a small car which requires about 150A. A 2L diesel requires 250 to 400A to start.
Add in the possible problems of frying the MG4 electrics and it's not worth the risk.

Just to reinforce the above. The MG4 battery is probably intended to start a small car which requires about 150A. A 2L diesel requires 250 to 400A to start.
Add in the possible problems of frying the MG4 electrics and it's not worth the risk.
Although the battery is small at 45Ah it does have a 450A cold cranking rating, frying the electrics the the main problem.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back