JonEV

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hopefully someone a little smarter than myself knows the answer to this.

I have the 12V drain issue which I should be resolved by a quick software update.
However, until my local MG garage find the time to fit me in, am I okay to jump the 12V system using jump leads and a nearby ICE car (with the owners permission of course).
I see a lot of talk about boosters and assume they will perform the same function, just wanted to check.

Solution
It is ok to jumpstart the MG4 from another car, but what must never happen is the other way to other car than an EV.
In other words, never jumpstart an ICE car from an EV as the EV startbattery is to smal and you risk to kill your EVs battery charger (very very expensive). I think this is highlited somewhere in the manual.

The jumpstart procedure is found in page 263-264 in the manual.

P.s. No need to have the ICE car running when jumpstarting an ev and be sure to remove the jumpstarting cables as son the MG4 is in ready state.
It is ok to jumpstart the MG4 from another car, but what must never happen is the other way to other car than an EV.
In other words, never jumpstart an ICE car from an EV as the EV startbattery is to smal and you risk to kill your EVs battery charger (very very expensive). I think this is highlited somewhere in the manual.

The jumpstart procedure is found in page 263-264 in the manual.

P.s. No need to have the ICE car running when jumpstarting an ev and be sure to remove the jumpstarting cables as son the MG4 is in ready state.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240115-094526_MG iSMART.jpg
    Screenshot_20240115-094526_MG iSMART.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Solution

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No