Ker’s Energy Recovery

Headgas1

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Good evening everyone

Kers what do we actually get back ?? i drive in normal mode with kers 3 everywhere I go, today for example I did a 88mile round trip 1hr there and 1hr back average speed 60mph and I don’t really see what if any benefit !!!! Can you calculate what your getting back at all or is it far to complicated how many times you brake or don’t etc…..

Probably the only real way you could calculate would be to repeat the journey in kers1 and see if the economy changes any. If you look at the power page on the dash, you'll see the current that's flowing back into the cells.

When I head into work (about 20 miles), there's a few downhill stretches where I vary the kers over them. Even with the lower temps we've been having recently, the average economy improves by 0.3-0.5 miles/kWh over the downhill sections (maybe just over a mile in total, usually in kers 1) so there's definitely a good reason to let kers take the strain.

Kers is of most benefit in A/B road and town driving. In motorway driving kers will have little or no affect.
Agreed. Our local big supermarket is 2 miles away all downhill there and uphill going home.
I invariably arrive at the supermarket with the same or sometimes an extra 1 mile of range (I guess depending on fractions of a mile).
Of course the return journey takes 3 miles out of the range going uphill for a 2 mile journey... but overall 4 miles travelled, 3 miles off GOM, so yep KERS works for me.

I like using the EV watchdog app (thanks to the developer of that app 👍) with the OBD port Bluetooth adapter , it gives you a lot of information regarding how much energy has used for any journey and how much has been put back in to the battery with regen and lots of other useful info as well 🙂 I disagree a little bit with regen on a motorway , if you're on the flat (with no head wind) or on a down hill stretch you don't need to stick to 60 mph you can go much faster with little or no throttle and regen at the same time while going downhill , normally on a motorway I stick to regen 2 it lets you keep the momentum of the vehicle going and its good to see regen at certain points while still doing 70 mph 😁

Good evening everyone

Kers what do we actually get back ?? i drive in normal mode with kers 3 everywhere I go, today for example I did a 88mile round trip 1hr there and 1hr back average speed 60mph and I don’t really see what if any benefit !!!! Can you calculate what your getting back at all or is it far to complicated how many times you brake or don’t etc…..
Converting momentum into DC current and storing this into the battery
According to some engineering sources online, converting the car's momentum into electrical energy through Kers converts only 40-70% of the energy that would otherwise be lost in conventional braking into stored electrical battery power. So probably not worth using on motorway driving involving minimal braking and just a little coasting. In this case I just use Kers1. Kers3 is more useful in town or busy winding, hilly roads where frequent braking is hard to avoid ( unless you want to irritate the ***t out of other drivers by being ultra careful :) ) especially in busy traffic with lots of stop/start. In this case, with Kers3, then you are at least converting some of the energy, that would otherwise be used to grind down your discs and pads, into battery power. I've actually found that Kers3 slightly spoils economy on motorways but definitely helps economy a lot in town driving. If you have a regular town route with frequent braking, it may be worth checking m/kwh with Kers1 v Kers3. I'm quite sure you'll see quite a difference. The only way to calculate the benefit of Kers settings it to try them on frequently used routes, but you need do this in similar weather and ambient temperature with your aircon, heater and fan settings the same.

I like using the EV watchdog app (thanks to the developer of that app 👍) with the OBD port Bluetooth adapter , it gives you a lot of information regarding how much energy has used for any journey and how much has been put back in to the battery with regen and lots of other useful info as well 🙂 I disagree a little bit with regen on a motorway , if you're on the flat (with no head wind) or on a down hill stretch you don't need to stick to 60 mph you can go much faster with little or no throttle and regen at the same time while going downhill , normally on a motorway I stick to regen 2 it lets you keep the momentum of the vehicle going and its good to see regen at certain points while still doing 70 mph 😁
Was going to say the same thing, I use it sometimes and see some interesting stuff.
I've found a few photos I've taken of the app, showing the regen etc.

Attachments

• IMG_5555.JPG
    IMG_5555.JPG
    349.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_5564.JPG
    IMG_5564.JPG
    519.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_5584.JPG
    IMG_5584.JPG
    786 KB · Views: 129
Regen efficiency (recovery of kinetic energy to chemical energy) is actually quite low, but every little helps. Waiting for super capacitors to have their day, if that ever comes!

@Alan5 do you have the link to the adapter you bought. Thanks.

I've seen the figure of 12% efficiency for energy regeneration. Travelling on the flat it is more efficient to have no regen and let the car coast, you travel further at no cost, where as the regen will slow you down and you won't travel as far. On a long downhill or in stop start traffic is where regen braking comes into its own. From the top of Cheddar Gorge to the bottom I can get 2 - 3 miles of range back. :)

I've seen the figure of 12% efficiency for energy regeneration. Travelling on the flat it is more efficient to have no regen and let the car coast, you travel further at no cost, where as the regen will slow you down and you won't travel as far. On a long downhill or in stop start traffic is where regen braking comes into its own. From the top of Cheddar Gorge to the bottom I can get 2 - 3 miles of range back. :)
On long straight runs ie motorway/dual carriageway I run on cruise control with no regen, then approaching the exit switch up the regen and leave it on when regularly slowing down on twisty roads, in traffic or in town.

Each to their own on this one too I suppose.

Good evening everyone

Stick the dash meter into the battery/motor screen and you'll see how much power you are pushing into the battery - trust me, K3 at 90A makes a difference! :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom