Key fobs not working (solved)

dmaudsley82

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hello all, went to use my car today and the key fob wouldn’t open the car, also tried the spare fob, same thing. Buttons on the fobs do nothing and can’t open the cars using either button on the driver/ passenger doors. Same story for the tailgate.
I used the car yesterday and it has 70% charge, the other battery was showing the usual 14 volts.

I’ve only done 2000 miles in the car so surely both key fob batteries haven’t died at the same time?

Anyone had this experience before I call out a breakdown?

Cheers

Use the physical key to get the door open and pop the bonnet. Sounds like a 12v issue. Some mg5s were sitting dockside for some time and their 12v battery isn't in the best of health.

You'd have thought that a car costing as much as these do would automatically switch off the headlights when the vehicle is vacated. Strewth, even our Dacia run around does that.

Makes sense, but isn't there an audible warning? My van is fairly low tech in as much that you have to switch the headlights off, but it makes noises if you forget. Not sure if it would automatically go to parking lights rather than main beam as well.

Makes sense, but isn't there an audible warning? My van is fairly low tech in as much that you have to switch the headlights off, but it makes noises if you forget. Not sure if it would automatically go to parking lights rather than main beam as well.
Yes there is an audible warning. I usually have mine set to auto but on occasion I override that and have been known to forget.

Yes there is an audible warning. I usually have mine set to auto but on occasion I override that and have been known to forget.
Audible warning and a message on the drivers display, (I've triggered it a couple times)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom