Lane assist help

10 Ell

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi I keep turning my lane assist off on my MG4 but every time I turn car on the next day the lane assist is back on? is this correct? is there a way of keeping it off?

Last edited:
Hi I keep turning my lane assist off on my MG4 but every time I turn car on the next day the lane assist is back on? is this correct? is there a way of keeping it off?

Follow the steps in post 9 on this thread

you cannot and never will be able to turn it off completely as its part of the safety controls that gets the car its NCAP rating, but you can minimise it by making it alert only with low volume so no tugging at wheel

Oh how I wish!!! Using mine in the wet/ice last week caused the back end to skip out as it dragged me back to the nearside as I crossed the white line. Inconvenient yes, dangerous, possibly.....

Where’s the safety in being able to turn it off? I don’t like LKA personally but I can acknowledge the potential safety rating (even without agreeing).
However what I don’t understand is that you can disable it. Even If it is enabled at every start up it can still be disabled, so where’s the safety assurance there?

Bloody dangerous IMO. Pulled out to avoid a parked van the other day and it tugged the steering incredibly hard back towards said van, came close to clipping it.
The other thing that drives me nuts is the 'slow down' accompanied with the obligatory 'bling' every single bloody time I press the accelerator even moderately.
These nanny aids are actually ruining an otherwise good car :mad:

Bloody dangerous IMO. Pulled out to avoid a parked van the other day and it tugged the steering incredibly hard back towards said van, came close to clipping it.
The other thing that drives me nuts is the 'slow down' accompanied with the obligatory 'bling' every single bloody time I press the accelerator even moderately.
These nanny aids are actually ruining an otherwise good car :mad:
What setting is causing the "slow down" and blinging associated with the throttle? Have you got speed restriction recognition set to warn, as it's not something I've noticed?

What setting is causing the "slow down" and blinging associated with the throttle? Have you got speed restriction recognition set to warn, as it's not something I've noticed?
It did it today joining a dual carriageway, started nagging while I was still under 40 !
I thought I switched every conceivable annoyance off but I will check again.
All I want as a driver is to be left alone to drive !

Does that mean all Trophies have the ability to turn it off so it stays turned off?
You CANNOT permanently disable it. You have to remember to change the settings before any journey. I honestly feel there will be a claim/class action against MG where accidents , God forbid, fatalities occur as a result of this function!!!

You CANNOT permanently disable it. You have to remember to change the settings before any journey. I honestly feel there will be a claim/class action against MG where accidents , God forbid, fatalities occur as a result of this function!!!
Mine is permanently disabled. It annoyed me on the first drive so I turned it off and it hasn't turned back on since. I'm wary of having any software "upgrades" as I don't want this to change.

Mine is permanently disabled. It annoyed me on the first drive so I turned it off and it hasn't turned back on since. I'm wary of having any software "upgrades" as I don't want this to change.
Same here on my Trophy. I too have decided not to push for every software upgrade yet, although they did actually upgrade LKA when they had the car for other things. So I guess I'm lucky that LKA still remains disabled all the time.
Having said that, I think the update might have helped as when I drove it home from the dealer they had turned LKA on and I hadn't checked so I drove home with it active. I didn't notice any wayward behaviour. I did, however, turn it off when I realised and it has never come back on again.

This behavour by the LKA worries me as some owners say it stays off when disabled and some say it keeps coming back on and has to be disabled at every restart. As the late Professor Sumner Miller once said..."why is it so".
Also some do not have other software issues, oil leaks, bulging undertrays, wonky SatNav etc.
How can some of the same model vehicle react differently with LKA and be so different to others with these other issues?
Says very little of the quality control in manufacture as you could hardly call them teething issues in my view.
It is putting buyers in 'a luck of the draw' situation as currently there does not appear to be any pre delivery checks regarding these issues and MG/dealers seem to be just taking a 'hope for the best' attitude and addressing problems as they arise.
It is certainly no way to promote a new brand in my view. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
As has been said before. I think it depends on how proactive the dealers are.
Some are fitting the modified oil breather during the PDI check and making sure all the updates are installed before releasing it to the customer which means taking up garage space and the fitters time.
Others are just shoving them out of the door letting the customer in effect check that everything is OK especially if they've travelled a long way to collect it hoping they will go to their nearest dealer to get things corrected. Or am I being too cynical?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back