Lane assist help

This is super dangerous! only had it a week and I think I've almost had a dozen accidents because of the LKA... starting to pester them on twitter about it. Whoever cares enough about it can you retweet your storey and why they need to deactivate LKA ->

Check with your dealer that they did the LKA software update during the PDI. Mine only gives a slight nudge mainly if I forget to indicate.

I've been religiously turning mine off every drive but yesterday I forgot on my 25 mile drive home and it was fine. It worked perfectly well on the A roads, and even my local country lanes were no bother. Odd really as both the demo trophy and mine gave a violent tug to the right in the same spot on a narrow road but it seems to have calmed down now.

Check with your dealer that they did the LKA software update during the PDI. Mine only gives a slight nudge mainly if I forget to indicate.
Yeah, mine's only a nudge since I set it to low sensitivity and only if I cross the white line.
The one I test drove was a bit more aggressive and seemed to pull the wheel when you went near the white line or the kerb.

The MG4 is not the only EV that has this LKA issue. BYD and Tesla also have it to a degree and probably others as it is now deemed a 'safety' feature which is why you have to disable it at each restart which is a nuisance as it is easy to forget and could create issues if someone else in the family or whoever drives the car unaware of this.

Obviously this has been incorporated in many EV's without proper fine tuning.

Can I be completly daft here, but I dont see LKA - I only have ACC & TJA in the MG Pilot system - I've only ever used TJA a few times I hated it (albeit on A roads) - but on ACC - I can have either off, beep only, or beep + steer

So when I get in to the drivers seat I have:

1686725052184.jpeg

... and as soon as I hit the brake pedal it shifts to:-

1686725028382.jpeg

is that not what happens to everyone else?

Last edited:
Lane Assistance is LKA.

As an aside is your display in permanent dark mode? If so switch to light and see what happens then when you re-enter the car.

Thanks for that. You appear to be one of the lucky ones whose LKA setting remains off, it will probably change after a software update.
... cheers - I'll watch out for that (when considering servicing), as am not sure I'd like to faf with the menu each day (if as i understand what some need to do?) - having said that its been in for a "locking recall" software update.

EDIT: As as an aside (to mine automatically sliding to off on pressing brake), do others not have in Lane Assistant:
Assist mode option:
Alert or Lane Departure Assist

I have Alert, then sub-options (as sliders) of
Audiable warning
Vibration Reminder
photo 1 #45

Last edited:
Thanks for that. You appear to be one of the lucky ones whose LKA setting remains off, it will probably change after a software update.
Mine is a SE and stays off aswell, I’ll be getting them during the service to put it in writing that I don’t want this updating.

Where’s the safety in being able to turn it off? I don’t like LKA personally but I can acknowledge the potential safety rating (even without agreeing).
However what I don’t understand is that you can disable it. Even If it is enabled at every start up it can still be disabled, so where’s the safety assurance there?
Its switchable for legal reasons, If its always on without option then it has to work perfectly in all conditions, if it goes wrong and there is an accident you have a claim.
Of course there are disclaimers in the user manual.
As it is, the onus is on you to use it correctly and gives the manufactures and authorities a get out clause. What! you left it on, What! why did you turn it off?

Mine is a SE and stays off aswell, I’ll be getting them during the service to put it in writing that I don’t want this updating.

Tricky. It may be essential to apply that update for other reasons and I don't think you can pick and choose like that. It's now a legal requirement for the safety certification that it defaults to on.

Tricky. It may be essential to apply that update for other reasons and I don't think you can pick and choose like that. It's now a legal requirement for the safety certification that it defaults to on.
Technically mine defaults to on - just that I've selected alert only (with audible warning off & vibration off & autosteering off)... but agree its a tricky one, thinking of it, when I got it it was a pain to get insurance (and was double what I was expecting), as it didn't come with NCAP, hence thats why later users have different defaults as per NCAP requirements.

I do not describe how and how much I was close enough for accidents on MG4. How I tried to find solution at services. FINALLY I FOUND SOLUTION. It is radical. I took out fuse #56 from front compartment fuse box. It responsible for front radar. Now I have error sign on the screen but (HAPPINESS!) all f*king "life saving" systems are turned off. Icons of LKA, Collision ass** are yellow. Better to have this error sign than afraid to drive with such "helpers".

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back