Lane assist help

Yes those were the days
While I wouldn't dispute that advances in safety features and changes in car design have massively reduced fatalities - along with enforcement of existing laws and changes in driver behaviour - that graph shows no benefit from the introduction of lane departure warning systems as the rate of decline has remained roughly constant since 2012 (pandemic weirdness aside).

While I wouldn't dispute that advances in safety features and changes in car design have massively reduced fatalities - along with enforcement of existing laws and changes in driver behaviour - that graph shows no benefit from the introduction of lane departure warning systems as the rate of decline has remained roughly constant since 2012 (pandemic weirdness aside).

Not keeping in lane is the 5th highest cause of road fatalities, 3,337 deaths...

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember a time many years ago when you could just get in the car, put on your seat belt, start the engine and drive off....those were the days. :)
My first two cars even had no seat belts. Fun fact - one of them was a MG.
...cool memories....

Not keeping in lane is the 5th highest cause of road fatalities, 3,337 deaths...

And falling asleep on motorways is probably one of the contributory factors to those stats.

I'm not a fan of LKA myself (apart from on longer motorway journeys) but having worked in the Traffic / Transport Consultancy business for many years I've seen the Motorway Accident Stats on falling asleep at the wheel and recognise why all these safety features are being introduced. I'm afraid we will all either have to accept them or just buy and and maintain an older car that has not got them. They are only going to increase in the future too !!

An extract from a Journal of Safety Research on Motoway Accidents :-

"Driver fatigue appears to be one of the most often reported factors in road accidents. According to Karrer and Roetting (2007) falling asleep at the wheel is one of the leading causes of fatal accidents and injuries, accounting for up to 15–20% of all traffic accidents in developed countries. However, it is often overlooked in police reports, as some drivers are deceased in the accidents, while surviving ones may be unwilling to admit that they may have been asleep (Corfitsen 1999)........."

Source :-

LKA status is shown as a /|\ symbol at the top left of your dashboard. Note the colour of this.
/|\ = Ready (green)
/|\ = Active (white)
/|\ = Disabled (yellow) <- This is what we want

To get there:-
  1. Get the car "ready" by pressing the foot brake
  2. Tap the car symbol on the right side of the screen
  3. Tap "MG Pilot" at the top
  4. Look for "Lane Keeping Assist"
  5. Tap the switch to turn it off
  6. Tap "Disable" to confirm you mean it
Note that this doesn't work if you skip step 1!
My copy of the manual says that White is the colour of the Ready state, changing to Green when active.

My copy of the manual says that White is the colour of the Ready state, changing to Green when active.

I've seen it blue, too. I agree, if it's not amber, make it so.

And falling asleep on motorways is probably one of the contributory factors to those stats.

I'm not a fan of LKA myself (apart from on longer motorway journeys) but having worked in the Traffic / Transport Consultancy business for many years I've seen the Motorway Accident Stats on falling asleep at the wheel and recognise why all these safety features are being introduced. I'm afraid we will all either have to accept them or just buy and and maintain an older car that has not got them. They are only going to increase in the future too !!

An extract from a Journal of Safety Research on Motoway Accidents :-

"Driver fatigue appears to be one of the most often reported factors in road accidents. According to Karrer and Roetting (2007) falling asleep at the wheel is one of the leading causes of fatal accidents and injuries, accounting for up to 15–20% of all traffic accidents in developed countries. However, it is often overlooked in police reports, as some drivers are deceased in the accidents, while surviving ones may be unwilling to admit that they may have been asleep (Corfitsen 1999)........."

Source :-

Great Heck train disaster, anyone?

(Which was really a road accident that involved two trains by the time the dust had settled.)

Hi, my dealer updated my infotainment to R46 today. But i don't think they updated the LKA module. It's still dangerous.

Can i see the version in somewhere in tge menus? (Maybe engineering menu).

BTW, left star can be programed after the update. Its going back to Energy recovery everytime.

I have normal colour vision after that op, but many people report enhanced blue colour and indeed being able to see into the near ultra-violet. I think it's related to the material used in the implants.

Sorry, but my post was more about your approach to life rather than physical reality. Unfortunately I have no understanding of emojis so cannot add any to my posts. However, interesting detail about perception after cataract operations. One down, one to go.

Yes those were the days
Yep, that graph you posted points to a steady decline in road deaths over the last 20 years but that can be hardly attributed to LKA assist features etc. as they haven't been around that long and in some cases are more likely to cause an accident rather than prevent it based on some comments here.

There are many factors involved that have reduced road fatalities over the years regarding car design.
The introduction of air bags and more of them in vehicles over the years, better construction of vehicles to collapse in sections in a head on crash, engine installation designed not to join you in the cabin upon impact, strengthening of panels to assist in side impacts etc.

Last edited:
Great Heck train disaster, anyone?

(Which was really a road accident that involved two trains by the time the dust had settled.)

Yep, I remember it well as it was local to me. Guy in a Land Rover fell asleep/was very drowsy and veered off the M62, down an embankment and onto the train tracks, causing two trains to crash with fatalities. 😒😒.

Yep, that graph you posted points to a steady decline in road deaths over the last 20 years but that can be hardly attributed to LKA assist features etc. as they haven't been around that long and in some cases are more likely to cause an accident rather than prevent it based on some comments here.

There are many factors involved that have reduced road fatalities over the years regarding car design.
The introduction of air bags and more of them in vehicles over the years, better construction of vehicles to collapse in sections in a head on crash, engine installation designed not to join you in the cabin upon impact, strengthening of panels to assist in side impacts etc.

I don't disagree with your comments but please have a read of the article below and tell me if you think LKA could have prevented this disaster? LKA is just one of many safety features that if well implemented could have prevented the tragic disaster below IMHO.

As said in the article above "Driver fatigue appears to be one of the most often reported factors in road accidents. According to Karrer and Roetting (2007) falling asleep at the wheel is one of the leading causes of fatal accidents and injuries,"

The main issue that was highlighted after that disaster was that the crash barrier didn't extend far enough down the approach to the road bridge over the railway. The Land Rover just missed the end of it and continued down the field on to the track. I don't think LKA was on anyone's radar at the time.

Didn't someone report their MG4 slamming on the brakes under circumstances suggesting the car might have thought the driver had fallen asleep? I think that might be the more effective intervention, if it was implemented reliably and didn't deploy in spurious situations.

Yep, I remember it well as it was local to me. Guy in a Land Rover fell asleep/was very drowsy and veered off the M62, down an embankment and onto the train tracks, causing two trains to crash with fatalities. 😒😒.

I don't disagree with your comments but please have a read of the article below and tell me if you think LKA could have prevented this disaster? LKA is just one of many safety features that if well implemented could have prevented the tragic disaster below IMHO.

As said in the article above "Driver fatigue appears to be one of the most often reported factors in road accidents. According to Karrer and Roetting (2007) falling asleep at the wheel is one of the leading causes of fatal accidents and injuries,"

I agree that if the system worked as it should it would be a great feature that certainly could prevent an accident especially involving a driver that might fall asleep momentarily.
The problem is that the LKA 'feature' on the MG4 like many others I have read about such as BYD and Tesla is far too aggressive and can easily steer you into a parked car on narrow roads or steer you into oncoming traffic if it encounters or misreads a poor lane marking.

Is there anyway of setting lane assist to off as default?
I travel along a really narrow road, the car is like a pinball correcting from verge to centre it’s actually quite dangerous.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back