Lane assist help

I'm struggling to see what the big deal is, on my Trophy it's a slight annoyance when it struggles with the condition of lane markings (or the lack of them) on British roads. It's a slight twitch of the steering wheel, less a nudge and more of a vibration in a specific direction. It's about the same as my previous Astra (2016), although that had a switch to turn it off next to the gear knob which was better.

I'm struggling to see what the big deal is, on my Trophy it's a slight annoyance when it struggles with the condition of lane markings (or the lack of them) on British roads. It's a slight twitch of the steering wheel, less a nudge and more of a vibration in a specific direction. It's about the same as my previous Astra (2016), although that had a switch to turn it off next to the gear knob which was better.
Unfortunately not everyone has as toned down version and therein lies the problem, it transpires the dealers don't actually know what updates actually fix stuff

Why can't they add a LKA icon to the simple drop down menu where you can turn on Auto hold etc. ?

Or .... spend less than 1 minute turning off LKA (and making any other settings you want) before you drive off. 🤷‍♂️
Perhaps, but why should you have to do that to eliminate a possible dangerous feature. Any other car I have owned over the last 60 years or so of driving only requires you to start the engine and drive off.

Also you have to rememember to tell your wife, kids or anyone else who may drive the MG4 to remember to turn off LKA or whatever before every drive otherwise they may be putting themselves in danger....ridiculous. :confused:

This 'feature' can be permanently disabled in ICE cars and other EV's to my knowledge, especially Teslas as similar 'technology' is an issue with many of them also.

Other vehicles also tend to retain any other settings made previously so it is not necessary to waste time checking everything at each restart.

Last edited:
Perhaps, but why should you have to do that to eliminate a possible dangerous feature. Any other car I have owned over the last 60 years or so of driving only requires you to start the engine and drive off.

Also you have to rememember to tell your wife, kids or anyone else who may drive the MG4 to remember to turn off LKA or whatever before every drive otherwise they may be putting themselves in danger....ridiculous. :confused:

This 'feature' can be permanently disabled in ICE cars and other EV's to my knowledge, especially Teslas as similar 'technology' is an issue with many of them also.

Other vehicles also tend to retain any other settings made previously so it is not necessary to waste time checking everything at each restart.
As has been pointed out several times before, all newly designed cars now have to have LKA enabled by default. Some manufacturers have made it easier than MG to switch off but it still has to be switched on every time the car is started.
If you find yours too aggressive have you taken it to your dealer to update the LKA software?

On early MG4s, LKA defaults to "Emergency Lane Keeping", which seems to mean ripping the wheel out of your hands and steering into oncoming traffic!

Last edited:
As has been pointed out several times before, all newly designed cars now have to have LKA enabled by default. Some manufacturers have made it easier than MG to switch off but it still has to be switched on every time the car is started.
If you find yours too aggressive have you taken it to your dealer to update the LKA software?
I understand that but it is still ridiculous that it cannot be permanently disabled if it puts lives at risk.

My 2017 model ICE SUV has LKA which works fine and is certainly not dangerous but it can be permanently disabled along with other 'features' so it is a step backwards in my view with the latest models to have to remember to disable it at every restart if it worries you.

It appears new vehicle manufacturers cannot trust us to steer the car correctly and have 'overdone' the LKA function with some models.

Has anyone taken their MG4 to a dealer to have the sensitivity of their LKA updated/reduced so it doesn't take control in some situations? I have only heard of software updates making the LKA situation worse in posts here.

I understand that but it is still ridiculous that it cannot be permanently disabled if it puts lives at risk.

My 2017 model ICE SUV has LKA which works fine and is certainly not dangerous but it can be permanently disabled along with other 'features' so it is a step backwards in my view with the latest models to have to remember to disable it at every restart if it worries you.

It appears new vehicle manufacturers cannot trust us to steer the car correctly and have 'overdone' the LKA function with some models.

Has anyone taken their MG4 to a dealer to have the sensitivity of their LKA updated/reduced so it doesn't take control in some situations? I have only heard of software updates making the LKA situation worse in posts here.
There are some that have had it improved, but the way MG do updates the dealers don't have any idea which one has improved it or left it the same

Pray OBD11 get onto providing a dongle to switch off LKA permanently.
Best £50 I’ve ever spent, it brilliant getting into the car and just not even thinking about LKA.
Weird I don’t think it’s supported yet, given it’s such a high selling car.
Suggests the software is maybe unfathomable to the OBD people. 🤷‍♂️

MG4 EV my first and nearly new electric car, elderly lady driver ! Nearly jumped out of my skin when the car started jumping sideways on country lanes, uncalled for. Ready to send it back but thank goodness for this forum. I had not been warned by the dealer. Now will someone kindly explain how to turn off the LKA! Thanks for any advice. I am currently driving on my nerve ends but will be totally happy without it. I otherwise like the car, just the electronics are too flaming complicated.

You turn it off each and every time you sit in the car (if your journey involves roads with speed limits >30 mph, as LKA takes effect at about 37 mph). There is (currently) no other choice.

LKA status is shown as a /|\ symbol at the top left of your dashboard. Note the colour of this.
/|\ = Ready (green)
/|\ = Active (white)
/|\ = Disabled (yellow) <- This is what we want

To get there:-
  1. Get the car "ready" by pressing the foot brake
  2. Tap the car symbol on the right side of the screen
  3. Tap "MG Pilot" at the top
  4. Look for "Lane Keeping Assist"
  5. Tap the switch to turn it off
  6. Tap "Disable" to confirm you mean it
Note that this doesn't work if you skip step 1!

Last edited:
MG4 EV my first and nearly new electric car, elderly lady driver ! Nearly jumped out of my skin when the car started jumping sideways on country lanes, uncalled for. Ready to send it back but thank goodness for this forum. I had not been warned by the dealer. Now will someone kindly explain how to turn off the LKA! Thanks for any advice. I am currently driving on my nerve ends but will be totally happy without it. I otherwise like the car, just the electronics are too flaming complicated.

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of the MG4!

That's awful that nobody warned you! (Another elderly lady driver here.) The demo car did it to me on my test drive, when I exited a motorway on to a slip road without indicating. (There was nobody behind me.) The dealer explained, and I watched a few YouTube videos about it.

It didn't do anything to me when I drove the car home from the dealer, but the next morning on a joyride on the A701 it was very annoying. I pulled in to a layby and read the manual and found out how to turn it off. I've never left it on knowingly since, unless I'm not leaving a 30 mph zone.

It takes a bit of practice to get it off right every time, but you get used to looking for the icon at the top left of the driver's screen being amber. If it's any other colour, then get thing off as soon as possible before it gets any ideas.

You'll love the car!

Seems to me like the only people complaining about LKA are older drivers or people who have been driving about in old bangers.
That is not meant as being provocative, it can be a bit of a shock to experience positive feedback on the steering wheel if you have never encountered it before.
I'm waiting to be proved wrong, only had the MG4 for a day, but we also have a Hyundai EV and have experienced this 'safety feature' for a good few years now.

Seems to me like the only people complaining about LKA are older drivers or people who have been driving about in old bangers.
That is not meant as being provocative, it can be a bit of a shock to experience positive feedback on the steering wheel if you have never encountered it before.
I'm waiting to be proved wrong, only had the MG4 for a day, but we also have a Hyundai EV and have experienced this 'safety feature' for a good few years now.
It's not the existence of LKA we object to, it's the aggressiveness of the default ELK

It's not the existence of LKA we object to, it's the aggressiveness of the default ELK
I agree, the default Assist mode is, "Emergency lane keeping", whereas the next mode down, "Lane departure assist" would be more appropriate.
FWIW, the sensitivity can be put on low and it remembers that setting.

LKA status is shown as a /|\ symbol at the top left of your dashboard. Note the colour of this.
/|\ = Ready (green)
/|\ = Active (white)
/|\ = Disabled (yellow) <- This is what we want

To get there:-
  1. Get the car "ready" by pressing the foot brake
  2. Tap the car symbol on the right side of the screen
  3. Tap "MG Pilot" at the top
  4. Look for "Lane Keeping Assist"
  5. Tap the switch to turn it off
  6. Tap "Disable" to confirm you mean it
Note that this doesn't work if you skip step 1!
The MG4 is a great EV but this is probably the main reason putting people off buying it and others with a similar 'issue'.
Ridiculous having to go through all this bulldust every time you wish to start a trip. I know it doesn't only apply to the MG4.

I remember a time many years ago when you could just get in the car, put on your seat belt, start the engine and drive off....those were the days. :)

The MG4 is a great EV but this is probably the main reason putting people off buying it and others with a similar 'issue'.
Ridiculous having to go through all this bulldust every time you wish to start a trip. I know it doesn't only apply to the MG4.

I remember a time many years ago when you could just get in the car, put on your seat belt, start the engine and drive off....those were the days. :)
Yes those were the days

Attachments

• Road Deaths.png
    Road Deaths.png
    168.4 KB · Views: 41

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%