Lane assist help

It's not the existence of LKA we object to, it's the aggressiveness of the default ELK
+1.

I also object to the fact this “safety feature” is in fact dangerous and not required, the only people I ever saw that needed “lane assist” were muppets on their phone whilst driving.

+1.

I also object to the fact this “safety feature” is in fact dangerous and not required, the only people I ever saw that needed “lane assist” were muppets on their phone whilst driving.
In principle I agree with Dan C , but if we are all honest we all can be accused of muppetry however infrequent at some stages in our driving lives. There is a minority ,the percentage you can decide , who we all recognise as being, frankly dangerous, who for a multitude of reasons are on the roads in our midst. Youtube videos put these idiots worldwide and as the car industry is global , governments around the world have decided that the industry and its safety bodies have to do something about it. So we are where we are , for now! Lets be thankful that at least we can turn off some of these systems, its not going to be long before these system (and then some ) will be permanently factory enabled if not for our cars , for future models. A bit of a worry if you lease and change your car every three years. As Peter Kay says its the future, and its not garlic bread.

Lets be thankful that at least we can turn off some of these systems, its not going to be long before these system (and then some ) will be permanently factory enabled if not for our cars , for future models. A bit of a worry if you lease and change your car every three years. As Peter Kay says its the future, and its not garlic bread.
I've had my moments with LKA (lat3st software). And yesterday I had another one. The highway splits into a north and west route. North and west are separated by white blocks. Passing the white blocks driving in a straight line LKA takes over and forces me into the lane next to me.
It solved itself because I passed the blocks quickly. But it really took me by surprise.
Of course I should have disabled ELK. But I forgot because the mechanic first had a test drive after which I simply jumped in. Then the warning to disable ELK at startup doesn't work...

More worrying is the fact that circumstances may change rapidly, demanding to disable Lane assist immediately (manual instructions).

Just one out of many examples.
An insertion strip is separated from safety strip using a solid white line. However, during rush hour the insertion strip may be used as an extra rush hour lane. So, coming from the insertion strip and going straight onto the rush hour lane ELK sees the solid line and simply steers your MG into the lane next to you.
This event is reported multiple times in my country. It fits the description where MG claims the safety system may fail. But there is no push button to disable ELK immediately. Until this button or voice command arrives I will continue to disable this 'safety feature' at startup.

Besides, Alert and LDW mode are more than sufficient.

I agree. Disable at startup. And if, as happened to me this evening, the disable didn't take, then turn it off as you drive as soon as possible before it starts to get any ideas.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back