cmawbs

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
A lot of people are asking, can you turn off the Lane Assist,
As far as I know if you have a accident and the LA is turned off your insurance company may use it as an excuse not to pay up.
I think on the MG4 you can reduce the sensitivity.

As far as I know if you have a accident and the LA is turned off your insurance company may use it as an excuse not to pay up.
Thats interesting, can you point us to where it confirms that if you turn of lane assist insurance wont pay please?

This may be a generalisation, that if the car comes with LKA and you have had it turned off permanently via OBD/software modification then, the 'safety features' that your car has available from factory and is used when calculating insurance premiums - has been altered, and thus voiding your policy.

I don't believe it without some evidence, personally.

I can't see many insurance investigators saying 'if you had LKA switched on, this accident wouldn't have happened' but that's just me. Most accidents are rear end shunts, AFAIK, which LKA wouldn't do anything for.

To be fair to the original poster it does appear that these days insurance companies do do all they can not to pay out or limit their liability in some way. I could see some of them trying to go down this path in the future as more safety systems are implemented.

Page 217 of the manual.

The lane assist system does not always recognise the lane lines. Sometimes poor road surfaces, certain road structures or objects may be mistaken for lane lines. When such situations occur, the lane assist system must be immediately turned off.

Given that, the insurance companies cannot possibly issue a blanket declaration of non-liability if the thing is switched off. Whether they could get sticky if you were driving on a well-surfaced, well-marked motorway with it off and as a consequence veered out of your lane is a different issue. But it is recognised that the system is not suitable for all driving conditions and has to be switched off if it isn't functioning as designed.

The lane assist system does not always recognise the lane lines. Sometimes poor road surfaces, certain road structures or objects may be mistaken for lane lines. When such situations occur, the lane assist system must be immediately turned off.

And they make that sooo easy to do whilst you are driving.
They give reasonably easy way to switch off ESC, but not LKA?

I think it's about time there was some customisation options and Home Screen shortcuts.

The option of additional physical buttons is pretty much out for current gen 4s, but see no reason why they can't add in some customisable shortcut buttons to the Home screen.

I'd like to see:
• LKA on/off toggle
• Power Down
• TJA/ACC toggle

There are probably more options that would benefit all but I can't think of any more important than those (currently) in that order

Then some general software updates, and usability improvements such as remembering last played playlist, and the option for playlists and folders for ALL - in the USB music source.

Is it possible for a software fix to allow SE owners to disable automatic locking, or is that a hardware issue?

There is some sort of memory in the USB playing, even for the SE, because at one point while I was fiddling I took the USB into the house and uploaded new versions of some of the tracks plus some new tracks. When I put it back in the car it immediately started to play the track it had been on when I took it out, despite that having been one of the ones I'd uploaded in a new version. (I'd spotted a mistake in the embedded text as it was playing, hence the removal.)

Absolute baseless rubbish.
If it was as crucial to safety and insurance as you suggested it would be mandatory ‘on’ all the time and not able to be switched off.
Nonsense like this needs quashed every time it’s posted to avoid needless fear.

Agreed, I believe readers of Top Gear magazine voted LKA the worst thing on modern cars, and a physical button to switch it off quickly the best thing.
It’s a 2-3 screen press hassle in my Born too, but I’ve permanently disabled it via OBD11.
I say disabled, what I’ve actually done is activated ‘remember last setting’
So if I toggle it off it stays off, but I can toggle it back on if I want ( which will be never )

Is it possible for a software fix to allow SE owners to disable automatic locking, or is that a hardware issue?

There is some sort of memory in the USB playing, even for the SE, because at one point while I was fiddling I took the USB into the house and uploaded new versions of some of the tracks plus some new tracks. When I put it back in the car it immediately started to play the track it had been on when I took it out, despite that having been one of the ones I'd uploaded in a new version. (I'd spotted a mistake in the embedded text as it was playing, hence the removal.)

There should definitely be a software fix for that, the hardware is the same (I'd imagine) on both trim levels for the auto-lock, I've not known a car to come without a way to switch off AutoLock. It would be in the manual too I suspect.

There should definitely be a software fix for that, the hardware is the same (I'd imagine) on both trim levels for the auto-lock, I've not known a car to come without a way to switch off AutoLock. It would be in the manual too I suspect.
MG5 owner you can not switch the auto-lock off on the 5 as well, it is the feature I dislike the most

As soon as you come to a stop and pull the door handle, all doors unlock. What's the real difference whether the doors motion-lock or not?

Personal preference I can not see the point in having doors locking automatically, I know people argue if you live in a city makes you feel safer, but I don't live in a city don't drive in city's

As soon as you come to a stop and pull the door handle, all doors unlock. What's the real difference whether the doors motion-lock or not?

First, it makes me claustrophobic as I was always taught to drive with the doors unlocked as a safety measure. Second, I pull up to collect friends and they're tugging on the door handles and I have no idea why...

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 88 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back