The doors automatically unlock in the event of an accident, there is a backup power source to do that in case the 12 V battery gets dislodged in a crash. Personally, I prefer them locking, and there is the unlock button on the driver's door to let passengers in.

Yes, I have been reassured that the doors will unlock in the event of a crash. Still, training dies hard and the clunk makes me claustrophobic. I get it that some people are fine with it, but some people aren't, and it's ridiculous to make it compulsory.

Yes, I have been reassured that the doors will unlock in the event of a crash. Still, training dies hard and the clunk makes me claustrophobic. I get it that some people are fine with it, but some people aren't, and it's ridiculous to make it compulsory.
I don't suppose the interior lock/unlock switch by the driver's door handle will unlock the doors after they have auto locked? I've not tried it so I've no idea but I would guess that it might not!
Edit: Just seen that mg4mc mentioned the unlock switch!

I think it operates when the speed transitions above a certain speed (11mph?) Once you're already above that speed then I don't think it operates again. (Until you drop below and then transition above it again).

Personal preference I can not see the point in having doors locking automatically, I know people argue if you live in a city makes you feel safer, but I don't live in a city don't drive in city's

I’d guess it’s one of those things that keeps insurance down, it that it makes carjacking less easy.
You’d maybe notice an increase in premiums if the car didn’t have it.

I think it operates when the speed transitions above a certain speed (11mph?) Once you're already above that speed then I don't think it operates again. (Until you drop below and then transition above it again).

I suppose I can add this to my list of pre-flight checks. Or early-flight checks in this case. Damn nuisance though.

I’d guess it’s one of those things that keeps insurance down, it that it makes carjacking less easy.
You’d maybe notice an increase in premiums if the car didn’t have it.

So what about the vast majority of cars where you can disable it - which includes the Trophy?

So what about the vast majority of cars where you can disable it - which includes the Trophy?

What has the ability to disable it have to do with anything?
You can disable lots of things that make the car safer on paper and keep insurance down.
Lane assist, emergency braking blablabla.

Almost every car on the road has the ability to disable automatic locking, including the Trophy. I'm not hearing any good argument for not having that facility on the SE.
Probably won't make any difference but you could email MG and ask the question. [email protected]

On a totally unrelated topic. Why have you named your MG after a feral, sullen, misshapen creature in Shakespeare's The Tempest?

Almost every car on the road has the ability to disable automatic locking, including the Trophy. I'm not hearing any good argument for not having that facility on the SE.
It is either an unintentional bug or deliberate differentiation between the SE and Trophy. If the former, a future update will fix it.

Last edited:
It'll need an Infotainment update as well as an update to the relevant module (BCM?), as the option would need to be added to the SE Infotainment software.

Probably won't make any difference but you could email MG and ask the question. [email protected]

On a totally unrelated topic. Why have you named your MG after a feral, sullen, misshapen creature in Shakespeare's The Tempest?

Thanks, I'll send an email. I might mention the USB folders at the same time. Probably won't make any difference as you say, but if it is actually a software glitch rather than deliberate malicious punishment for not shelling out for the Trophy they might put it on a fix-list some time.

Caliban. When I got my first Fiesta, the first car I ever owned, I loved her to bits. When driving up the M74 (at about ninety) on my first late-evening dash from Hertfordshire to Scotland, I named her Miranda - she who is worthy to be admired. When I traded her in for an XR2, calling him Ferdinand seemed rather obvious. Ferdinand was succeeded by a Peugeot 306 GTi6 who acquired the somewhat flighty name of Ariel. When Ariel went to the great Scrappage Scheme in the sky I bought my Golf GTi Mk6, the most upmarket car I have ever owned. Obviously he was Prospero.

I joked at one point that now there was nothing left but Caliban. Yes there are some minor characters, but nothing else recognisable. When the dealer asked me for a name for the MG4, to tie it to my phone, some evil sprite made me say Caliban. So Caliban he is.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back