Lane keeping assist

I do sympathise with Joanne, but it's more complicated than that.

No, it's not satisfactory to have to turn the damn thing off at the start of every journey, and there should be a one-button disable option so you can use it secure in the knowledge that if it becomes a problem you can instantly get rid of it. But we are where we are. There is no such button. Given that, surely it's better to make a habit of turning it off as part of the pre-flight routine (or use the towing mode option) than get permanently bent out of shape complaining about it?

What I don't understand about Joanne's problem is that she has an SE, but reports that the LKA keeps reactivating itself while she's driving. This is the only SE known to behave like this (although there is a Trophy bug that causes it to reactivate when the central screen changes between dark and light). It doesn't make sense, and suggests a fault with her car. If there is an actual fault, I thought at one time if it could be characterised and reported it could be fixed, and would be better than rejecting the car. But I think she has actually rejected the car, so it's a bit academic.
With me being a new owner, I wonder whether Joanne is sometimes turning LKA off before pressing the brake model to engage ‘drive mode’ which I now realise was part of the problem for me, resulting in LKA still being active when I did drive away?

Since I got the car I have been very careful not to hate doing it. I can't change it. Of course I will be very pleased if the situation changes, and we can either set it to stay off (not likely) or we get a one-press button to turn it off.

But the way things are, I have to turn it off. I can either hate doing this, every single time, or I can just do it as routine, maybe with a rueful smile. I think the latter is better for my mental health, and for my attitude to my car.
I admire your patience, I really do.
But there are occasions, where I let family and friends drive my car and then I need to explain to them how to disable and hope they don't forget. I rather put a sticker on the camera, than worry than some sudden yank will trigger overreaction.

I only have one friend insured to drive my car, and she has been well instructed on how to "turn off lane killer". If she's alone in the car one day and forgets, I imagine she'll soon remember.

With me being a new owner, I wonder whether Joanne is sometimes turning LKA off before pressing the brake model to engage ‘drive mode’ which I now realise was part of the problem for me, resulting in LKA still being active when I did drive away?

Several of us have tried to go through this in detail with her, but the situation has never been resolved. She decided to reject the car because of the issue.

Why do you think they need to go to court?
The manual clearly states you are always responsible for using lka, the manual describes situations when and where it will not work properly and you "MUST" take control, or disable it. They have given you the option to disable it in the menu. Whether the latter fits the term "immediately" may be debatable one. But the systems have been "approved".

I do not post this to disagree with your interpretation that MG is at fault in case the system fails. I do agree. But this applies to more or less all car manufacturers. Even the latest very expensive Merc got slammed for the poorly working LKA..
My point is: they all know. That is why MG uses 3 pages to explain Lane assist, and half of them are filled to cover them in case things may go wrong.
And they all do it.
In the course of the last 1+ year I had several false interventions that could have caused accidents. (like pulling me closer to oncoming traffic on narrow roads). I know this sounds horrible, but I think it reqiures several serious accidents until authorities will start investigating.

I admire your patience, I really do.
But there are occasions, where I let family and friends drive my car and then I need to explain to them how to disable and hope they don't forget. I rather put a sticker on the camera, than worry than some sudden yank will trigger overreaction.
So Jan, your software has two options: Alert and LDA. It defaults to LDA. Right?
If that is the same LDA system as on mine (Trophy ER updated up to r46 infotainment): it will not cause a sudden yank anymore. It gives mild pushes to steer you back into the lane. My only problem with it is that it simply does not work on roads with double solid lane markers.

Since ours is a Trophy, I've had the LKA reactivate when the screen changed between night and day, which was a surprise, so I've adapted my getting in process: get in, get settled, seatbelt on, foot on brake, and then turn LKA and FCA down to alert only. Then all it can do is beep at me, and it doesn't switch it back on if the screen changes. Like @Rolfe , I view it as just part of the process of getting in and making sure everything is ok, I can't say it bothers me particularly.

Hi all. I'm about 1000 miles in now, and here are my findings.
The LKA is not intrusive (in my opinion). I had a KIA eNiro 4+ prior to this, and I cant say its any different to that. Doesn't bother me so don't even bother turning it off.
The heating system is poor. Set at 23 its too cold, set to 24 gets too hot (I'm aware of the 5Deg offset??). Hopefully a fix is in the pipeline.
The wipe you get when entering and your cabin gets wet! WTaF!
Why cant your settings be remembered. I like to use adaptive regen, but have to select it every time (similar issue to turning off LKA is suppose).
Window lock, again, have to turn it on every time.
Its almost like being in a aircraft, and you have to complete your pre 'flight' checks...
LKA- Off
Window Lock - On
Adaptive Regen- ON
ECO Mode- Set............
Ready for driving!
🤣🤣🤣

Apart from these niggles, love the car.

Hi all. I'm about 1000 miles in now, and here are my findings.
The LKA is not intrusive (in my opinion). I had a KIA eNiro 4+ prior to this, and I cant say its any different to that. Doesn't bother me so don't even bother turning it off.
The heating system is poor. Set at 23 its too cold, set to 24 gets too hot (I'm aware of the 5Deg offset??). Hopefully a fix is in the pipeline.
The wipe you get when entering and your cabin gets wet! WTaF!
Why cant your settings be remembered. I like to use adaptive regen, but have to select it every time (similar issue to turning off LKA is suppose).
Window lock, again, have to turn it on every time.
Its almost like being in a aircraft, and you have to complete your pre 'flight' checks...
LKA- Off
Window Lock - On
Adaptive Regen- ON
ECO Mode- Set............
Ready for driving!
🤣🤣🤣

Apart from these niggles, love the car.
What wipe? Mine doesn't automatically wipe if I unlock then open the door to get in. 🤷‍♂️
Are you leaving the wiper stalk in the intermittent or permanent wipe position?

One thing that comes to light here is that their are signficant software differences between
SE and Trophy (STD, Luxury) in respect to LKA, LDA, ELK, Etc.
My Trophy is an early model Oct 22 and from comments from similar owners, when purchased
had the ability to disable LKA permenantly (suspect early models had Tweaked ZS software).
Only after issues following windscreen replacenent, camera relacement and software updates in
June 23 did LKA become default on.
Just to clarify I tend to be in and out of my car a number of times every day and with the best will
in the World could not remember to go through this startup procedure every time.
The current Default settings are totaly unpredictable especially in roadworks with narrow lanes, country roads with poor road markings, poor road surfaces or edge markings and in certain weather conditions. Effects can be a series of beeps, Gentle steering nudge in random direction or servere steering nudge that requires a tight grip on the wheel and imediate correction.
So unless you only drive at speeds below 37MPH or on motorways with good road markings a
solution needs to be found.
DaevM
For Trophy owners Towing Mode would appear be the best tempory solution, the loss off rear sensors is not a problem (360deg camera), the fatigue sensor above stearing wheel on early
models has been disabled and I can put up with trafic sign reognition.

We still love the car and have not experienced any other faults reported by other users
(No Charging Issues, Locking In, Etc.)

The current Default settings are totaly unpredictable especially in roadworks with narrow lanes, country roads with poor road markings, poor road surfaces or edge markings and in certain weather conditions. Effects can be a series of beeps, Gentle steering nudge in random direction or servere steering nudge that requires a tight grip on the wheel and imediate correction.
So unless you only drive at speeds below 37MPH or on motorways with good road markings a
solution needs to be found.

The worst instance I have had of LKA intervention was on a stretch of Motorway where there were narrow lanes due to roadworks. It wasn't safe to turn it off as I was driving and despite trying my best to keep it dead central in the lane it was intervening violently and frequently. Downright dangerous behaviour by the car and this is depite having some software updates applied to allegedly make it better.

Never saw red lines on my ER . Only yellow, white and green.
I have to correct myself.
The reason for not being aware of the different colors is simple: I do not accidently cross the lane markers that often, and I never look at the dash when I do cross them (because I prefer to keep my eyes on the road).

So I decided to provoke the system by deliberately leaving the lane in LDA/ELK mode.
In LDA I could see a blue line when I was closing up to the markers or when I was touching it. In ELK it adds a red line when I touch/cross it. Edit:
Same in Alert mode.

Last edited:
The worst instance I have had of LKA intervention was on a stretch of Motorway where there were narrow lanes due to roadworks. It wasn't safe to turn it off as I was driving and despite trying my best to keep it dead central in the lane it was intervening violently and frequently. Downright dangerous behaviour by the car and this is depite having some software updates applied to allegedly make it better.
And you were using ELK?

I also went for the sticker solution. I found if you cover only a small section of the camera, the Adaptive Cruise Control will still work - otherwise it will be deactivated. (yes, I know ACC is using the Radar, but still it will sometimes be switched off after camera is covered).
Did you find the perfect shape of the sticker?
Would you mind send me pic of this?

Well if you leave the wiper stalk at any setting than Off then obviously when the system powers up the wipers will sweep. But then again - who intentionally leaves and locks their car with the wipers still activated? 🤷‍♂️

It seems to be when in Intermittent

Well if you leave the wiper stalk at any setting than Off then obviously when the system powers up the wipers will sweep. But then again - who intentionally leaves and locks their car with the wipers still activated? 🤷‍♂️
It's worse if you accidentally do this and it snows overnight.
Before you can shut the door, you get a lap full of snow! 🥶

If you have had a bit of a barney with the missus and she has to leave for work early in the morning. ;)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back