Leaving the car for 18 days

tomsimmons

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Next year I'm hoping to finally get away on holiday abroad. I've been looking at taxi costs v parking costs and factoring in extras like having time to drop off and pick up the dog from kennels, or not and paying extra day(s).

The car has more than enough range to do the trip to the airport and back twice plus some. If it's fully charged when I leave home and it spends 18 days parked up, is the charge likely to drop significantly? I can't see why it should, Lithium batteries hold a charge very well.

Tom

The HV battery won't drop by any significant amount, if any, but the 12v might.
I would take a 12v battery booster with you just in case.

I would think you should be fine Tom. I would also make sure the 12v battery was fully charged as it is probably more prone to any drainage, providing power to background systems.

Next year I'm hoping to finally get away on holiday abroad. I've been looking at taxi costs v parking costs and factoring in extras like having time to drop off and pick up the dog from kennels, or not and paying extra day(s).

The car has more than enough range to do the trip to the airport and back twice plus some. If it's fully charged when I leave home and it spends 18 days parked up, is the charge likely to drop significantly? I can't see why it should, Lithium batteries hold a charge very well.

Tom
Top up before you get to the airport. The HV battery 'is' your 12v booster :D

I wouldn't worry at all about parking for 18 days.

Tom
Can’t see any problem a friend of mine did 14 with no issues different car mini EV but same principle 👍🏻👍🏻

I would think it should be ok? I think the vehicles arrive off the boat with a semi charged battery and not sure how long they are on the water but they don’t dissipate?

No expert and probably good to follow advice above just in case but logically the cars must be designed to be left for periods as people will go on holiday for 2 weeks regularly so if they were to have problems it would be an issue I imagine.

I left mine for nearly 6 weeks a couple months ago on a trip back home.

Charged to 100%, balance cycle completed, per manual instructions.

It was still at 100% when I arrived back here in Thailand.

I didn't either, but that's what the Friendly Manual said to do....

Whatever you do, do not leave it below 20% for extended periods, that is definitely bad for it.

Last edited:
It has free AA breakdown cover so a jump start at worst is needed, but I think the battery will be fine, mine was OK after 2 weeks away, so unless you leave something on it should last

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom