Leaving the car for most of February

Not sure how to leave the 12 volt battery on a trickle charge
Where are you leaving the car?

Ok re read, driveway.

Buy something like this.....

Screenshot_20240115_123432_Amazon Shopping.jpg

There are much cheaper alternatives available.

Get your extension lead and un ravel it.
Open bonnet.
Drop the plug to the floor under the car and plug it in.
Assuming you have an outdoor socket?
Connect trickle charger to battery.
Shut bonnet after you have checked its working.

Screenshot_20240115_124012_eBay.jpg

Much cheaper

MG4s have been left for three or four weeks in airport car parks and started OK when the owners have got back from holiday.
If you are really worried about it starting when you get back leave the car at 80% charge and get yourself a lithium jumps starter just in case. The advantage over a trickle charger is you can use it away from home to start the car. Or call MG Assist to jump start it when you get back.

I've returned to my old, second hand, ICE car after several weeks away, to find the 12v battery dead. But that was a long time ago, and the car was an old rust bucket.

The only way an MG4 is going to not work after 4 weeks, is if it has a fault.

Personally I wouldn't go out of my way to mitigate a fault I don't know exists - if I returned to find a problem, I'd be on the warpath to the dealer.

From memory the manual states that if left for long periods the 12v battery should be disconnected?

From memory the manual states that if left for long periods the 12v battery should be disconnected?
There's nothing of the sort in my manual PDF, searching for "12v".

It mentions disconnecting it if the car's involved in a collision and won't start, and if the car gets immersed in water. Nothing about storing it for long periods.

The manual mentions that the car can top up the 12v battery from the HV battery ("Intelligent Charging"), so unless there's a fault, it should be much less likely to empty than an ICE.

There's nothing of the sort in my manual PDF, searching for "12v".

It mentions disconnecting it if the car's involved in a collision and won't start, and if the car gets immersed in water. Nothing about storing it for long periods.

The manual mentions that the car can top up the 12v battery from the HV battery ("Intelligent Charging"), so unless there's a fault, it should be much less likely to empty than an ICE.
There you go. for more than 1 month disconnect negative terminal, page 291

Note: It is recommended to ensure the vehicle is
placed in READY mode for half an hour every week
to help extend the service life of the battery. If the
vehicle is stored for more than 1 month, remove the
negative terminal from the battery. Make sure that
the vehicle power system has been turned off before
connecting or disconnecting the negative terminal.

Attachments

• Battery.pdf
    202.1 KB · Views: 77
There you go. for more than 1 month disconnect negative terminal, page 291

Note: It is recommended to ensure the vehicle is
placed in READY mode for half an hour every week
to help extend the service life of the battery. If the
vehicle is stored for more than 1 month, remove the
negative terminal from the battery. Make sure that
the vehicle power system has been turned off before
connecting or disconnecting the negative terminal.
Good find.

Nice of them to describe it as "12v Battery" throughout the manual, except there :D

At the same time.... in the same manual....

"Intelligent Charging The 12Vbattery SOC(State Of Charge) is constantly monitored, when the vehicle is power OFF it is possible, under certain conditions, that the HV battery will automatically charge the 12V battery to ensure the vehicle starts. This function will activate and switch off automatically.
Note: The system will suspend intelligent charging if a fault is present, when starting or the vehicle is being charged by an external device.
Note: The driving range will be reduced after intelligent charging.
Note: The intelligent charging function is suspended when the high voltage battery is in a low SOC."

MG4s have been left for three or four weeks in airport car parks and started OK when the owners have got back from holiday.
If you are really worried about it starting when you get back leave the car at 80% charge and get yourself a lithium jumps starter just in case. The advantage over a trickle charger is you can use it away from home to start the car. Or call MG Assist to jump start it when you get back.
I left mine for 3 week last February at Heathrow and it was fine when I got back, best of all being bright orange it was dead easy to spot in the car park :)

Left ours at Canberra airport for 6 weeks after driving to the city (70km). Battery was about 70% when we let it, lost 12% in 6 weeks, 12V battery was fine.
I have a jump starter but don’t usually carry it with me.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back