Leaving the charging cable outside plugged in.

2of3

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi there and greetings from Norway!

Here is my black beauty on the day I picked it up from the dealership
DSC_0587.JPG
I have a home charger installed and here is my question:

Is it a bad idea to leave the charging cable plugged in to the charger permanently rather than lugging it in and out of the boot when I need to charge? The charger came with a "hook" to have the cable coiled over, so it wouldn't be laying on the ground at all. I'm just worried about damp getting in past the rubber protector and ruining the cable or causing a short. I'm not concerned that someone will steal the cable by the way.

Most Charger leads are suitable for outside environments.. I would though avoid them sitting in puddles for days... Not sure if you already have a charger but you can can 'tethered' charging units which have the lead permanently fixed to the charger

It's just the same as having a tethered charger.
FYI, it won't short out if it's not connected to the car.

View attachment 1109I have a home charger installed and here is my question:

Is it a bad idea to leave the charging cable plugged in to the charger permanently rather than lugging it in and out of the boot when I need to charge? The charger came with a "hook" to have the cable coiled over, so it wouldn't be laying on the ground at all. I'm just worried about damp getting in past the rubber protector and ruining the cable or causing a short. I'm not concerned that someone will steal the cable by the way.
Love the smart black, very nice!

I have 2 cables permanently outside and should be fine as designed to be outdoors. I try to keep the water out of the caps or dry them out before push them back on.

Are talking about the granny charger

Sorry just noticed you say you have a charger fitted .did you get rubber caps with the cable

Sorry just noticed you say you have a charger fitted .did you get rubber caps with the cable
Yes. Rubber caps on both ends. My wife IS concerned that the cable might be stolen, so this all might be a moot point in the end. Thanks for the feedback anyway, folks!

Stolen ! In Norway ...I thought that sort of thing didnt happen there !

Nice wheels! Are they standard?

Stolen ! In Norway ...I thought that sort of thing didnt happen there !
I wish! I don't live in a high crime area and haven't experienced anything personally, but there have been some break ins and thefts in the area recently.
Nice wheels! Are they standard?

Those were the winter tires supplied by our local dealer (non MG branded). The summer tires are the "diamond cut" exclusive to the model.

Attachments

• mg-zs-ev-wheel-925958.jpg
    mg-zs-ev-wheel-925958.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 179
Yes. Rubber caps on both ends. My wife IS concerned that the cable might be stolen, so this all might be a moot point in the end. Thanks for the feedback anyway, folks!
My wife made me have an untethered charger fitted because it looked neater than a thethered .

Sometimes SWMBO has to be ignored!!
It took all i had to convince her to agree to the ev . I just gave in with the charger , i was 50/50 anyway so let her think she won when in fact she just tipped me onto untethered

It took all i had to convince her to agree to the ev . I just gave in with the charger , i was 50/50 anyway so let her think she won when in fact she just tipped me onto untethered
Ah, so she didn’t MAKE you have one - you let her THINK she’d won! That’s good marriage management!

Those wheels look better than those horrible "windmill" ones, are they the same as the MG5 if not very close.

Ah, so she didn’t MAKE you have one - you let her THINK she’d won! That’s good marriage management!
This aplies to anything i want. My wife says i am so convincing that at the beginning of the week she has never heard of it and by the end of the week she can't cope without it and needs to go buy one

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom