Legal headlight upgrade

Goofy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Can anyone kindly advise me on if there’s a MOT passing replacement LED headlight bulb available to fit, which will improve visibility on the factory issued bulb? Thanks 🙏

In a nut shell no, there are s lot of old fashioned rules, including levelling and washers that need to be included for factory fitted led.
People just use the led bulbs them change them over at mot time.

Something to consider if changing to an LED conversion, it may not be as simple as a bulb change, they also have a "blister pack" this allows the bulb to work, so the fitting may not fit in the original bulb housing, there are some "slim" versions out there, another thing to consider is the CAN BUS system, may be triggered by the LED replacement. I would only advice replacing/upgrading to LED if someone has done so before on the exact model car you have and the exact LED package, helps to avoid the problems of fitment etc.
Have you considered using uprated bulbs? something like OSRAM cool blue, they give a xenon look and its a lot easier to fit then an LED conversion.
There are plenty of upgraded bulbs out there, may also be worth a chat to an MOT station, see what they say.

Something to consider if changing to an LED conversion, it may not be as simple as a bulb change, they also have a "blister pack" this allows the bulb to work, so the fitting may not fit in the original bulb housing, there are some "slim" versions out there, another thing to consider is the CAN BUS system, may be triggered by the LED replacement. I would only advice replacing/upgrading to LED if someone has done so before on the exact model car you have and the exact LED package, helps to avoid the problems of fitment etc.
Have you considered using uprated bulbs? something like OSRAM cool blue, they give a xenon look and its a lot easier to fit then an LED conversion.
There are plenty of upgraded bulbs out there, may also be worth a chat to an MOT station, see what they say.
I fitted Philips Ultinon Pro9000 LED Car Headlight Bulb (HB3/HB4) - direct replacement for the OEM halogen bulbs, just twist and connect. Also have built in can bus thingies.

Lots of other threads with other easy to upgrade bulbs kicking about here too.

They suffer from the same legality/MOT issues as all non halogen bulbs being fitted to a headlight designed for halogens though.

There are loads of HB3 high output Halogen bulbs available. Look for the +150% or +100% output on the descrition, just be aware Osram Nightbreakers, although a great bulb, only have a 6 month warranty on them, how they get away with this in the UK I don't know as the sale of goods act covers stuff for 12 months.
I have LEDs but if changing to legal halogens, I would go for the Phillips X-treme or the Twenty Twenty Daylights +150%.
HB3 Twenty20 Daylight +150% 12V 60W Halogen Bulb

Thanks for that Kithmo. As you have LED’s does that mean you have to revert back to the original bulbs when sending the car for the mot? As the LED’s must run a lower wattage does that improve your range, compared to someone running Halogens?

Our Nightbreaker Lasers are nearly 2 years old and going strong.

Use the Osram retrofit LEDs too for the overhead lamps, that makes a huge difference too.

Thanks for that Kithmo. As you have LED’s does that mean you have to revert back to the original bulbs when sending the car for the mot? As the LED’s must run a lower wattage does that improve your range, compared to someone running Halogens?
Re the MOT, yes, but that's nearly two years away ;)
I wouldn't think the range is affected much in reality unless you do lots of mileage in the dark.
My LEDs are 35W each compared to 60W each halogen, not a huge difference.

Our Nightbreaker Lasers are nearly 2 years old and going strong.

Use the Osram retrofit LEDs too for the overhead lamps, that makes a huge difference too.
I suppose the longevity depends how much you use them.
LEDs in the interior and the boot are a vast improvement over the filament bulbs, with the added bonus that they're less drain on the 12v if you leave them on.

I suppose the longevity depends how much you use them.
LEDs in the interior and the boot are a vast improvement over the filament bulbs, with the added bonus that they're less drain on the 12v if you leave them on.
Having the silica in there helps I guess with the head lamps (halogens and water bed fellows do not make)

I've fitted LED to my 5.. and I'm surprised to say that doesn't have any canbus system.. I've done headlight bulbs and number plate bulbs both to led and no warning lights.

..please note that this isn't just an MOT related failure - the car is also illegal from that point as it no longer has a valid set of MOT approved lights, essentially it shouldn't be on the road as it will not pass an MOT.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom