Lights will not turn off when I lock the car

I do this now and then it's down to accidentally catching the light switch as said above,
Do it with the rear window switches, too,hands like shovels

I've only just worked out how to turn the lights back to auto after turning them to off, without restarting the car, you just flick the switch to off again, so it's basically a toggle switch. ☺️

That might explain how I got caught out earlier this year. The damn auto-lights came on as I drove into a multi-storey car park, and I switched them off. I thought I had switched them back to auto again before I locked the car, but fortunately I looked back as I was walking to the exit and saw my lights blazing. I had managed to toggle them to on.

There was probably a warning on the dashboard when I got out of the car, but I was busy getting my stuff together and I didn't notice. There was certainly a warning there when I went back to the car to turn the lights off.

The warning only occurs when the car is in the powered down state. Hence some recommend powering down from the info screen; the warning will occur when you open the door.

My 2009 Golf didn't have that. I got a flat battery a couple of times when someone else had left the lights at something other than auto and I walked off in blissful ignorance.

If I am feeling charitable I can imagine the lights-on detection being written for a car with a start/stop button, eg the ZS, matching a ignition key. When the MG4 start/stop process eliminated a physical button and buried the power-off option in the depths of the info screen, someone forgot to update the the lights-on detection software to take the new approach into account.

If I am feeling charitable I can imagine the lights-on detection being written for a car with a start/stop button, eg the ZS, matching a ignition key. When the MG4 start/stop process eliminated a physical button and buried the power-off option in the depths of the info screen, someone forgot to update the the lights-on detection software to take the new approach into account.
We never know the conditions they work under, so I am fairly indulgent of programming errors, but I do expect bugs to get fixed after a year, so my patience isn't infinite.

It’s a shame it couldn’t be coded into the app to alert when the lights are on, the same as it does when the tyre pressures are low for example. I’m sure it wouldn’t take a huge amount of coding to add that

I just had this issue. Kinda wish the car did have a stop/start button to be honest, but if it made an alert noise while the door was open that would do the trick.

I just had this issue. Kinda wish the car did have a stop/start button to be honest, but if it made an alert noise while the door was open that would do the trick.
It does alert you when you open the door if the lights are switched to on.

As I appear to be a bit slow, did not realise that you can still switch the full beam on auto to dipped using the stalk (just like you were on manual). So auto is better than I thought..usually :)

I’ve got the same problem. I’ve locked the car and the headlamps and rear lights are still lit. I’ve been charging with the granny charger all day (don’t know if that’s relevant). I can’t find any way of turning the lights off.

I hope it doesn’t run the battery down too much as I have a long journey tomorrow!

I’ve got the same problem. I’ve locked the car and the headlamps and rear lights are still lit. I’ve been charging with the granny charger all day (don’t know if that’s relevant). I can’t find any way of turning the lights off.

I hope it doesn’t run the battery down too much as I have a long journey tomorrow!
Have you accidentality switched the lights to manual on the steering wheel stalk?

When the switch is in the manual position and the car off, parking lights are what's left on.
That is DRLS and rear lights.
Headlights go off when you switch the car off but the DRLs are so bright many people mistakenly think the headlights are on.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back