Lka-Alert active but not responding

NLMGSAN

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
Based on the post 'LKA Query' I had to rethink what was happening with my MG. This is the situation:
-Before I leave for work, I always set LKA to alert an disable the speed signs. Just like today. And yes, I always have the car on ready when I do this.
-I first need to drive through town. Speed does not exceed 60 kmh, so LKA is inactive.
-After about 10 km, I will take an 80kmh road that first goes downhill
-the road is single lane per direction
-in the downhill section lanes are separated by pavement sections surrounded with white lines or double white lines without pavements.
- in the flat section only double white lines are present.

As speed quickly reaches 80kmh in the downhill section, LKA/ALERT mode should become active. It doesn't. At least, not always and not this morning. After leaving this 80kmh road and continuing on a 100kmh highway I checked the settings in the menu. Lka/Alert was definitely on. Changing the mode did nothing. Only deactivating an reactivating it revived LKA.

AM I the only one experiencing this? Or do you have similar experiences?

Last edited:
Maybe the UK or anywhere else dont have these lines to separate lanes, but this is what I meant where LKA is not working at all:

Screenshot_2024-03-05-19-57-47-95_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg

Based on the post 'LKA Query' I had to rethink what was happening with my MG. This is the situation:
-Before I leave for work, I always set LKA to alert an disable the speed signs. Just like today. And yes, I always have the car on ready when I do this.
-I first need to drive through town. Speed does not exceed 60 kmh, so LKA is inactive.
-After about 10 km, I will take an 80kmh road that first goes downhill
-the road is single lane per direction
-in the downhill section lanes are separated by pavement sections surrounded with white lines or double white lines without pavements.
- in the flat section only double white lines are present.

As speed quickly reaches 80kmh in the downhill section, LKA/ALERT mode should become active. It doesn't. At least, not always and not this morning. After leaving this 80kmh road and continuing on a 100kmh highway I checked the settings in the menu. Lka/Alert was definitely on. Changing the mode did nothing. Only deactivating an reactivating it revived LKA.

What setting do you have for ACC or T??, we have an early version so thankfully it defaults to off - but ACC does the forward distance, and T?? adds the sterring (which is awful)

if I use ACC, its on the shortest distance always. Never use TJA. Too nervous for me.
But both should not influence lane assist.

These double lines are very common in my country. It would be quite a surprise if MG does not know how to handle them.

Besides, the long dashed lane marking on the right side also does not trigger any response from the system. Very weird...

Last edited:
.............Only deactivating an reactivating it revived LKA.

Can you clarify whether your question is about recognising the lines properly or about LKA sometimes not activating ?

Your statement that "only deactivating and reactivating it revived LKA" suggests the latter but your last post suggests the lane edge markings aren't recognised by LKA ?

My LKA works on the road below OK (speed limit is 40mph) and shows up on the driver screen as a dashed line to the right and a continuous line to the left and will try and nudge me back to the left sometimes when I have forgotten to turn LKA off. I don't see why it would'nt work with double white lines ?..... but I rarely use LKA so may not be the best to answer that one !
LKA works.jpg

Maybe the UK or anywhere else dont have these lines to separate lanes, but this is what I meant where LKA is not working at all:

View attachment 24588
I'm not aware of any quite like that (wide and then narrowing), but we do have several places with double white lines (which means no overtaking from either direction) and as far as I recall LKA generally recognises the closest white line.

Can you clarify whether your question is about recognising the lines properly or about LKA sometimes not activating ?

Your statement that "only deactivating and reactivating it revived LKA" suggests the latter but your last post suggests the lane edge markings aren't recognised by LKA ?

My LKA works on the road below OK (speed limit is 40mph) and shows up on the driver screen as a dashed line to the right and a continuous line to the left and will try and nudge me back to the left sometimes when I have forgotten to turn LKA off. I don't see why it would'nt work with double white lines ?..... but I rarely use LKA so may not be the best to answer that one !
View attachment 24598
My initial question is do you experience the same: lka not working with double white lines?
One explanation could be that is indeed does not "see" it for whatever reason. But if others in similar situations know it does work, I can at least draw the conclusion that it should see it... Why it doesn't on mine is another thing. But if everyone experiences the same thing, it probably is a default of the MG4.

About reviving it after reactivating it: I haven't been able to replicate this. So, eventhough it fails to work in the first part of my trip to work, it does work once I drive the car on the highway.

I'm not aware of any quite like that (wide and then narrowing), but we do have several places with double white lines (which means no overtaking from either direction) and as far as I recall LKA generally recognises the closest white line.
That is partially a photographic effect. But it also is partially correct because there is a piece of pavement between both lanes a bit behind the car, meant for crossing the road by pedestrians and cyclists. The lines surround that pavement. But once passed these lines come together again.

So double lines do work. If you are not the only one, there must be something going on with my MG ... I do know of one person reporting the same issue in my country.

That is partially a photographic effect. But it also is partially correct because there is a piece of pavement between both lanes a bit behind the car, meant for crossing the road by pedestrians and cyclists. The lines surround that pavement. But once passed these lines come together again.

So double lines do work. If you are not the only one, there must be something going on with my MG ... I do know of one person reporting the same issue in my country.
Just tested the MG5 with similar modes. Works perfectly fine. So there is no reason for me to accept that it does not work properly on the MG4.

Edit: Just got the car back. Camera and radar should have been calibrated but it seems they only did some software updates (that is what they said). Nothing changed.

Last edited:
Someone mention LKA acting up?
😂

Exactly! In this case it is not acting at all when it actually should.... Killing, this feature.

Last edited:
Mine always warns I'm disabling it and asks me to confirm if I lower the sensitivity.

Since we've given up convincing MG to allow us to permanently disable the LKA (Latent Kamikaze Assault) maybe we stand a better chance with convincing the government to paint the roads to bamboozle it...

Since we've given up convincing MG to allow us to permanently disable the LKA (Latent Kamikaze Assault) maybe we stand a better chance with convincing the government to paint the roads to bamboozle it...
I think this is where mine was set up.
MG4LKA.jpg

That happens if you enforce the change. If you disable it, the icon turns to yellow.

But the system can put itself in standby mode under specific conditions. In that case the icon turns white. Mind you, this does not apply for Alert mode. This mode is always yellow, even if it does work.

Mine goes into standby under completely normal circumstances (double white lines) whereas the MG5 simply works.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back