LKA Lane Keep Assist - is MG Listening?

Alex1985

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I know it is another rant about the LKA, is nobody at MG listening? Had I realised how tedious it is to go through the procedure of resetting it to an acceptable level before driving off I think I would have really thought twice about it.

Even with the updated software which does give more control, it still resets to the strongest alert level even if the sensitivity remains low. I live in the country and get lots of false LKA triggers on country roads, it is very wearing having the steering wrenched toward a hedge or the other carriageway for no reason other than having forgot to turn the bloody thing down. I am quite happy with an alert, which I think would be enough for anyone, with an option to increase the level if I require it.

I guess that I am not the only frustrated MG4 owner out there but I will ask again.

!!!! Is anybody at MG listening !!!!
I should say that I think it is a great car and I am very happy with it except for the LKA and not being able to have a non automated cruise control but that is another story.

Last edited:
Hi, so its a little strange i just received my brand new Phase 2 Trophy, now stick with me, i recently was driving the Phase 1 as a loan car (due to my rubbish e208 motability car having issues) Now the LKA in the phase 1 was what i considered unpredictable and violent when it activated, but the Phase 2 does not seem as violent when it does it, so maybe they have tried to do something to improve it but still not brilliant

C
Hi, so its a little strange i just received my brand new Phase 2 Trophy, now stick with me, i recently was driving the Phase 1 as a loan car (due to my rubbish e208 motability car having issues) Now the LKA in the phase 1 was what i considered unpredictable and violent when it activated, but the Phase 2 does not seem as violent when it does it, so maybe they have tried to do something to improve it but still not brilliant
Could be different firmware update too

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    602.8 KB · Views: 139
I know it is another rant about the LKA, is nobody at MG listening? Had I realised how tedious it is to go through the procedure of resetting it to an acceptable level before driving off I think I would have really thought twice about it.

Even with the updated software which does give more control, it still resets to the strongest alert level even if the sensitivity remains low. I live in the country and get lots of false LKA triggers on country roads, it is very wearing having the steering wrenched toward a hedge or the other carriageway for no reason other than having forgot to turn the bloody thing down I am quite happy with an alert, which I think would be enough for anyone, with an option to increase the level if I require it.

I guess that I am not the only frustrated MG4 owner out there but I will ask again.

!!!! Is anybody at MG listening !!!!
I should say that I think it is a great car and I am very happy with it except for the LKA and not being able to have a non automated cruise control but that is another story.
MG are almost certainly NOT listening to online forums or Facebook groups. Complaints need to be directed to dealers and MG directly. Even then I would not expect a swift result.

Last week I did a 180 mile round trip on mainly B class Scottish rural roads. I left it on and was ok for a while but then started activating every few seconds so had to stop and turn off. Still get the aggressive tugs even after update but not as often. Anyway, on way home I forgot to turn it off again and soon felt a blister forming on my finger due to the death grip on steering wheel necessary to counter and aggressive steers into oncoming traffic and ditches.

MG are almost certainly NOT listening to online forums or Facebook groups. Complaints need to be directed to dealers and MG directly. Even then I would not expect a swift result.
Dealers are just upset because there is nothing they can do about the bad software that causes this

Last week I did a 180 mile round trip on mainly B class Scottish rural roads. I left it on and was ok for a while but then started activating every few seconds so had to stop and turn off. Still get the aggressive tugs even after update but not as often. Anyway, on way home I forgot to turn it off again and soon felt a blister forming on my finger due to the death grip on steering wheel necessary to counter and aggressive steers into oncoming traffic and ditches.
I am pleased that I am not the only country yokel that has experience of the MG4 death grip!!

Suppose it depends on your journey , long trip, turn it off. Short trip , not very fast, leave it on, the problem is where you are doing multi stops over the day and it becomes tiresome. Chill out! have yourself a piece of dark chocolate, let it melt on your tongue then with the use the use of a clean digit wipe a bit of the melted slutch on the windscreen , well you can guess where. If you don,t like the results a quick blast of the washer/wiper combo will return things to normal. This method won,t work in the rain but for 10% of the time it should. I,ll probably get it in the neck from dentists now!
Yes, I know about the ACC , speed recognition, emergency braking etc , but some may say thats a bonus. And no quips about " death by chocolate".

Go up 4 or 5 replies and you will see my solution. I,ve just tried it myself and if you don,t mind losing some of the other systems , it works. I set off with everything on MG default , the LKA stayed white but never activated, the speed recognition stayed as not recognising anything, as it got darker I had a warning message saying auto high beam unavailable, this then lit up the yellow triangle for around 2 minuets. I was on fastish A roads with well defined markings. I probably lost emergency braking but had no warning messages and I did not try ACC. I did use sport mode and went apex to apex sometimes crossing the central lines on purpose, no beeps, no reactions but certainly enjoyable especially when you are confident its not going to intervene.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back