LKA Lane Keep Assist - is MG Listening?

Its not the lane keeping assist that is the issue is the badly maintained white line work that the system uses to work properly
No lines whatsoever on rural roads with verge over run and standing water.

The Kia Nero never responds in the way the MG4 does in this situation.

To be fair Nobby, I am stopping upwards of 30 times a day. That is thirty times I am having to scroll through the menus to turn off a system, that should be more readily available.

I find it a bloody nuisance, but fair do’s, maybe I am not as patient as you. All I know is it boils my Pish.

I totally see your point. I used to volunteer to deliver election leaflets in a rural area that involved driving down rutted lanes from house to house, and getting out at each house to deliver the leaflets. I absolutely dread to think, to be honest.

ETA. Though to be fair I didn't often get above 35 mph so maybe it would have been OK just to leave it on. It's the principle though.

Worst case scenario LKA is a bit annoying, not dangerous on my car. It provides very little feedback on country roads, and isn't annoying on highways.

Harry - I get why that would be infuriating and it is a good example why all auch systems should be simple to switch off (or to switch to your saved settings) with a single button. It is easy to think everyone's driving needs are the same but there's a huge variety of situations out there.

Worst case scenario LKA is a bit annoying, not dangerous on my car. It provides very little feedback on country roads, and isn't annoying on highways.

Lucky you, is all I can say.

In my local lanes in Cornwall, if LKA is not switched off, it will nearly always attempt to drive the car off the road, but interestingly not necessarily the same place every time.

I suspect because at different times of the day, the direction of sunlight makes the camera "see" various repair tar lines in the road surface as a white line, thereby causing the response. On one occasion it did an emergency stop (not LKA I know) when there was no traffic in front or behind, but the sunlight was very bright and quite low and I suspect the front camera "saw" a feature in the road surface it did not like.

In addition, unlike what some people have reported in this thread, the intervention is quite violent, not a gentle tug or merely a corrective movement.

It is the one thing that IMV makes a potentially fantastic car, a problem car, simply because if I forget to turn off LKA, it will make itself known very quickly and always when least expected.

I am beginning to wonder what would/could happen if I taped over the front camera, has anyone else tried?

There aren't enough star buttons for all the things I'd like to tweak.

What it really needs is driver profiles. Default to LKA on, standard driving mode, all that, as NCAP wants. But on the home screen, first thing you see after startup, have big easy-to-tap onscreen buttons for "Driver 1", "Driver 2" (or better still, "John") that loads my personal settings.

I'm not holding my breath for it though.

I picked up an MG4 xpower on wednesday and deliberately had all assistance systems like LKA TJA on over the 20 miles driven so far and have to say the steering nudge is no different to my previous car, just a gentle feeling with insignificant direction deviation if you have two hands on the wheel. It is certainly not a problem for me, so either it has imporoved or I am more used to that type of system.

Lucky you, is all I can say.

In my local lanes in Cornwall, if LKA is not switched off, it will nearly always attempt to drive the car off the road, but interestingly not necessarily the same place every time.

I suspect because at different times of the day, the direction of sunlight makes the camera "see" various repair tar lines in the road surface as a white line, thereby causing the response. On one occasion it did an emergency stop (not LKA I know) when there was no traffic in front or behind, but the sunlight was very bright and quite low and I suspect the front camera "saw" a feature in the road surface it did not like.

In addition, unlike what some people have reported in this thread, the intervention is quite violent, not a gentle tug or merely a corrective movement.

It is the one thing that IMV makes a potentially fantastic car, a problem car, simply because if I forget to turn off LKA, it will make itself known very quickly and always when least expected.

I am beginning to wonder what would/could happen if I taped over the front camera, has anyone else tried?
Try the cocoa and water mix smeared over the camera area , if on country roads like myself you will not miss losing ACC and TJA or even emergency braking. A wipe of the washer /wipers will remove it , as will rain , but it never rains in Cornwall! As a bonus you will not get the inaccurate speed recognition symbol , but will lose auto headlights , so maybe not for winter use . For that try switching on towing mode.

I had my first violent tug on the steering wheel yesterday. Did well considering I've only done about 800 miles so far. I think for now, it's going to be a sticker over the sensor because I've Essential Tremor and my triceps throb for no reason. A recent Norfolk trip from NR Ashby de la Zouch had me in tears and I wasnt out the county! Yes I switch it off, but it goes back on! I've emailed dealer and if no response by Tuesday then I'll take it to motability. For now there will be a sticker over the top camera. That switches it off as I tried it.

Last edited:
I had my first violent tug on the steering wheel yesterday. Did well considering I've only done about 800 miles so far. I think for now, it's going to be a sticker over the sensor because I've Essential Tremor and my triceps throb for no reason. A recent Norfolk trip from NR Ashby de la Zouch had me in tears and I wasnt out the county! Yes I switch it off, but it goes back on! I've emailed dealer and if no response by Tuesday then I'll take it to motability. For now there will be a sticker over the top camera. That switches it off as I tried it.
Nothing to do with above Joanne but fyi the new qtr advance payments come out tomoz it’s looking like the LR and Trophy LR may go down to nil .

It drives me absolutely potty, especially in country roads or temporary road works. Even on some A roads the LKA has a fit and tugs me into the other lanes!
What is the update, I have yet to run it on my MG4?

I know it is another rant about the LKA, is nobody at MG listening? Had I realised how tedious it is to go through the procedure of resetting it to an acceptable level before driving off I think I would have really thought twice about it.

Even with the updated software which does give more control, it still resets to the strongest alert level even if the sensitivity remains low. I live in the country and get lots of false LKA triggers on country roads, it is very wearing having the steering wrenched toward a hedge or the other carriageway for no reason other than having forgot to turn the bloody thing down. I am quite happy with an alert, which I think would be enough for anyone, with an option to increase the level if I require it.

I guess that I am not the only frustrated MG4 owner out there but I will ask again.

!!!! Is anybody at MG listening !!!!
I should say that I think it is a great car and I am very happy with it except for the LKA and not being able to have a non automated cruise control but that is another story.
I admit to it is the worst LKA I have ever tested and I work with testing cars. MG must fix it…

There's a Vehicle Recall on the camera and radar unit. It is a problem according to dealer.

Mines in for November, do get it booked in.

Is that a DVSA recall notice (RCxxx, like the locking in fix was), or is it an MG service campaign notice (SCxxx)?

No idea, the booking in lady didn't go into great detail. All she said that there were recalls on the camera / radar unit and software updates.
I've a black piece of vinyl over my camera as it stops it working. I can't see it being a radar unit as radar isn't line of sight. Anyways....

The sticker sorts it. You do lose ACC and Speed sign recognition but they're only features. Doesn't stop it driving so let's hope they fix it. If they can't, then I'm refusing it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back