LKA Lane Keep Assist - is MG Listening?

At the moment they are driver assist systems but as we the driving public become "trained" to use them , or stop turning them off , then they will become permanently on systems for the new generation of drivers, but most likely with many legal warnings in the handbook saying the manufacturers will not be liable for any incidents that may occur due to their operation or non-operation. I think there could be a bright future for 16 year olds wishing to take up a position in the legal profession , especially ambulance chasers!
You see, now I'm thinking, if they cannot be turned off because it's been redefined as a safety system rather than driver assist, how can they have a disclaimer that says 'we aren't responsible if this screws up and you die or kill someone'? That should not be allowed. If you won't allow me to turn it off, you need to be culpable.

You see, now I'm thinking, if they cannot be turned off because it's been redefined as a safety system rather than driver assist, how can they have a disclaimer that says 'we aren't responsible if this screws up and you die or kill someone'? That should not be allowed. If you won't allow me to turn it off, you need to be culpable.
Could not agree more, but I,m cynical, or realistic , the authors of the vagaries of any future small print clauses especially those that need translating will also be future careers for imaginative people .

Yet there are other new model cars that do allow it. So either this isn't a thing, or other manufacturers take a different view on what is, and what isn't permitted?

Yet there are other new model cars that do allow it. So either this isn't a thing, or other manufacturers take a different view on what is, and what isn't permitted?
Well, you can turn it off. The main gripe is about how and how often, and its not often mentioned but if you forget to turn it off , you cannot turn it off on the screen whilst moving.

Well, you can turn it off. The main gripe is about how and how often, and its not often mentioned but if you forget to turn it off , you cannot turn it off on the screen whilst moving.
Polo GTI just has a button on the end of the left hand stalk to turn it off, so simple.

I'd love to be able to assign it to a star button that just says 'Just turn off all driver assistance, stupid sign recognition, front and rear collision assist and any other crap you deign that I might need as you think I'm an idiot.' because, as it turns out, I can actually drive, maintain concentration for extended periods and don't want it'. Or am I being pedantic? Answers on a postcard please...

I’m very anti texting and mobile phoning whilst driving. But it amazes me what distractions are in modern cars.
I'm with you, my phone is out of my reach when I drive, absolutely will not touch it when I'm in the seat. But all these screens to do mundane stuff, you're right, it's way too much of a distraction. Other than radio and AC, I don't do much other than drive.

I'm with you, my phone is out of my reach when I drive, absolutely will not touch it when I'm in the seat. But all these screens to do mundane stuff, you're right, it's way too much of a distraction. Other than radio and AC, I don't do much other than drive.
Exactly the same as you . TalkSport and cold or hot air. Tbh summer or winter my drivers window is down lol
Sorry gone off topic I’ll shush now

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel