Martinonline

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Has any one else had this happening?

Near me there is a stretch of 40mph dual-carriageway between from a very busy roundabout which requires high acceleration to get onto and exit ensuring that the car reaches 40mph shortly after the beginning of the carriageway. The carriageway has a dashed cycle-lane which ends near a subsequent roundabout (see attached image).

Normally I switch off LKA but for this road I leave it on as it is a shortish stretch. I have noticed that LKA does not activate (remains white) until I pass the end of the cycle-lane which moves onto the pavement. Then the LKA indicator turns green and the Lane Separator is highlighted on the driver's screen.

Any Ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240228-172107~2.png
    Screenshot_20240228-172107~2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
Then it could be the system is not active because requirements are not met:
• The lane line is too thin, damaged, or fuzzy.
• Irregular or damaged kerbs.
• The vehicle is driven on the bend with a small curvature radius, the road is too narrow or too wide.
• The vehicle has just entered a road section with lane lines or is driven on a road section without lane lines.

In fact, your post made me review what happens on my trip to work. Although it looks similar (Alert mode has no effect), it is different in many other ways. I will post about it separately.

Thank you for investigating. I can eliminate the first 3 requirements you state but the last one aligns with my next test. The dual-carriageway has a lane line between the car lanes plus the innermost one for the cycle-lane. All lanes-lines are clear. Next time I will use the outside lane and see what happens. This will involve me going around the end roundabout because I turn left at the end of the road.

As an aside, why did you raise the question the presence of 'lane-lines'. I thought LKA needed lane-lines?

Thank you for investigating. I can eliminate the first 3 requirements you state but the last one aligns with my next test. The dual-carriageway has a lane line between the car lanes plus the innermost one for the cycle-lane. All lanes-lines are clear. Next time I will use the outside lane and see what happens. This will involve me going around the end roundabout because I turn left at the end of the road.

As an aside, why did you raise the question the presence of 'lane-lines'. I thought LKA needed lane-lines?
You know that's a picture out of the manual, right?
I haven't asked you any questions 🤔

Thank you for your post, however I was replying to NLMGSAN. I have read the manual in pursuit of finding an answer and I understand the conditions for activating LKA but was querying why the software logic considered the conditions were not being met until the cycle-lane ended given the conditions were consistently the same except for the presence of the cycle-lane at the first part of the road.

If you have a road with a cycle-lane at 40mph near, could you please see if LKA turns green (does not need to activate) and report with whether it is single or dual-carriageway.

I cannot help you with this because at those speeds my roads have separate cycling paths.

I did not raise a question. I merely listed a number of requirements you could verify. And that's what you are doing so all is well.

Yet I do think the system only works if it receives consistent information of the lane and its borders (the lines). The picture provides a snapshot of the road. But it does not mean these lines are present all the time or sufficiently traceable for the cameras to trigger LKA.

You said number 1-3 are ok. But is the dashed line on the left between cars and cyclists not causing similar issues elsewhere ? Normally you have closed lines on the left and possibly dashed ones on the right..(just trying to come up with something..).

Without further data it is difficult to say what is happening and I suspect there are few roads with cycle-lanes with speed limits that allow the LKA to trigger. The is another road (see image) that I travel on occasionally that meets the requirement but when I travel along it I have usually switched off LKA. I will see if the LKA deactivates when the cycle-lane starts and reactivates when it ends. That is assuming it has previously activated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240301-095924-366.png
    Screenshot_20240301-095924-366.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
Re my post of 29th Feb setting out what I would do next. I exited the roundabout into the outside lane of the dual-carriageway and when I reached the trigger speed the LKA activated. I then moved into the inner lane with the cycle lane and the LKA switched off. It switched on again when the cycle lane ended.

Today I was driving along a 40mph single carriageway road with intermittent cycle lane markers (between pedestrian islands) and the LKA indication kept toggling on and off as each cycle lane ended and started. I'll have to work out how to record the driver's screen.

Re my post of 29th Feb setting out what I would do next. I exited the roundabout into the outside lane of the dual-carriageway and when I reached the trigger speed the LKA activated. I then moved into the inner lane with the cycle lane and the LKA switched off. It switched on again when the cycle lane ended.

Today I was driving along a 40mph single carriageway road with intermittent cycle lane markers (between pedestrian islands) and the LKA indication kept toggling on and off as each cycle lane ended and started. I'll have to work out how to record the driver's screen.
Interesting. I should use LDW next time and check how the system behaves.

If you watch a lot of YouTube car review videos (like me 😁) you''ll see a lot stick a GoPro or equivalent camera on the steering wheel mount, pointing at the screen.👍

You are surely not asking a person in Yorkshire to buy equipment just to investigate an LKA anomaly? :D I'll see what gaffer tape can do.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back