LKA - Report any dangerous incidents here.

smartn

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I hope this isn't in breach of any rules but in order to try and get MG to sort out the awful LKA system I thought it would be good to collate instances of unsafe activation of LKA in one thread. This isn't for discussion of the system in detail as there are other long threads for this but I thought if people could report what they view as unsafe activations in one thread it would make interesting reading.

I had the LKA try to pull me to the left today because I was over one of those shiny black joins in the asphalt. Utterly atrocious. Safety system? Downright dangerous

Reported by mrmatt yesterday

I’m with you. Mine pulled me aggressively into the path of a passing ambulance.

Reported by AdeSc yesterday.

Since software might be different between cars, reports should indicate model (SR/Trophy) and version (MY22/23).
For some reason LKA is not causing us too many problems. Indeed I have tried to force it to work by straddling white lines, without effect. Unfortunately, it occasionally works, sometimes correctly and sometimes dangerously. (Trophy MY23)

Using TJA on cruise, mine tried to follow the kerb into a layby, where the white dotted line was faded, as I was passing it at 50mph, quite a shock.

Whilst the effect may be similar, TJA <> LKA so perhaps issues with TJA should be separated.

(I find LKA generally to be OK ... TJA has only ever been tried as a test, and never again since it tried to steer me into a lorry [in lane 1] as I was passing it in lane 2 on a motorway).

Whilst the effect may be similar, TJA <> LKA so perhaps issues with TJA should be separated.

(I find LKA generally to be OK ... TJA has only ever been tried as a test, and never again since it tried to steer me into a lorry [in lane 1] as I was passing it in lane 2 on a motorway).
I've now switched cruise over from TJA to ACC but not used it yet since that episode.
LKA on its own on my daily trips is fine, I turned the sensitivity to low (which the car remembers) and I just get a gentle nudge if I change lanes without indicating.
Does LKA (on default setting) with ACC keep you in lane or do you have to steer it ?

When you're in TJA, if you don't try at all to resist what the car is doing with the steering wheel, it nags you to put your hands on the wheel. Even though it is steering, it requires you to be trying to turn the wheel at the same time. It's weird.

Does LKA (on default setting) with ACC keep you in lane or do you have to steer it ?
TJA is supposed to keep the car central to the lane (as much as possible), and is essentially a dumbed-down auto-pilot ... LKA is supposed to keep the car in the lane (as much as possible). Therefore LKA would act more like an underdamped system and "bounce" the car from lane marker to lane marker, so steering is essential.

I’ve always used LKA, and I agree that it just bounces between the lines but it’s not violent. I think if people want to make a case to MG then you would need video evidence ( showing the view of the screen and road ahead), or else they will say it’s just an opinion… I personally alway keep my hands on the wheel and when I forget to indicate to move lane I just overpower the system.

MG4 Trophy 23. LKA seems fine to me on more major roads (so far, anyway) but on country lanes near where I live it’s downright dangerous. I’ve taken to turning the system off every time I get in the car. On numerous occasions it’s tried to steer the car into large potholes that I’m trying to avoid, and in other occasions, on particularly thin roads, it regularly beeps and tries to steer to me left despite being in exactly the correct portion of the road. How this system was passed by the various safety organisations is beyond my comprehension. It’s utterly unfit for purpose. Using technology to make driving safer for us all is of course progress, but throwing such poor software onto cars without proper testing just to get a tick in the safety box is a retrograde step, and shouldn’t be allowed.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back