Locking Wheel Nuts

Do you think if I cut a big hole in the foam, that the gunk repair kit comes in, to fit the space saver spare, then I could put the spare and jack from the ZS in ?
(Not got the 5 yet to try)

Do you think if I cut a big hole in the foam, that the gunk repair kit comes in, to fit the space saver spare, then I could put the spare and jack from the ZS in ?
(Not got the 5 yet to try)
Why not dump that large black "Gunk" cylinder and just buy a can of the inflation foam made by Holts ?.

Is there a car jack in there? I confess that I haven’t looked.

Is there a car jack in there? I confess that I haven’t looked.

You don’t get a jack with the MG5. This is what’s under the boot floor:

BBC98DE5-EDB2-4B6E-B8A6-A53D6D23B2D7.jpeg

Can of gunge, 12V compressor, towing eye, and a pair of plastic tweezer things to remove the decorative wheel nut covers.

If you buy the official MG spare wheel kit, that comes with jack and wheel brace.

Edited to add: the little zip-lock bags were just in there. They’re empty. I expect some of the smaller bits, like the wheel nut tweezers, probably came in them from the factory, or something.

Last edited:
Why not dump that large black "Gunk" cylinder and just buy a can of the inflation foam made by Holts ?.
With the ZS, strangely I got a can of gunk with the GardX paint protection kit as well as the gunk repair kit that came with the car and I bought the space saver spare kit as well. I think I have enough gunk.
What I meant was, when we get the MG5 (next Wednesday), I was going to dump the compressor and gunk and cut a big hole in that black foam, to fit the ZS spare wheel in and put the jack etc. in the middle of the spare.

I was going to say. If you’ve got the official ZSEV spare wheel kit, I’d be really interested to know how it’s actually different from the MG5 one. I would not be surprised if it fits in the MG5 with little or no modification.

I was going to say. If you’ve got the official ZSEV spare wheel kit, I’d be really interested to know how it’s actually different from the MG5 one. I would not be surprised if it fits in the MG5 with little or no modification.
I think someone said the ZS kit, in its foam, was too thick (high) so the 5 floor panel wouldn't sit flat.
Not sure the foam would be any bigger than the wheel.
Good point. I suppose I could just fit it in without the foam.
I guess I'll have to wait until Wednesday when we pick up the 5 to see (if it's not raining :()

I think someone said the ZS kit, in its foam, was too thick (high) so the 5 floor panel wouldn't sit flat.

Right, that would make sense if the wheel well in the ZSEV is deeper than the one in the MG5 (almost exactly 5”/12.5cm).

The MG5 boot floor is not very rigid at all - it’s just some thin cloth glued to a 4mm bit of corrugated plastic. Evidently it’s designed to be supported from underneath, either by the spare wheel + kit, or by the supplied foam spacer.

One of my “some day” projects is to get a sheet of 9mm plywood, a roll of auto carpet and some glue, and make a new, more durable boot floor. Once I start playing shows again (ie loading my drums in and out of the car multiple times per week) I think I’ll have to do it then.

I am getting my MG5EV next week.
Does it already have locking wheel nuts?
If not - then would you suggest that I buy these from MG Dealer or these in link above better option?.
PS: I live in a fairly low crime area so having doubts if these are actually necessary or not.
Suggestions welcome. Thanks
You may live in a low crime area but unfortunately scum can travel.
Buy some 👍

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Wouldn't bother with locking wheel nuts/bolts at all. When was the last time you've heard of alloys getting nicked? And particularly the MG alloys nobody would bother. Also they can be a pain in the @rse to get off when they start rusting. 🙂👍

Somebody stealing my 17" alloys would be a good excuse to get the new 18" versions. 😉

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom