London to Plymouth, Return

megamac

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So, we will be dropping off a kid at uni in Plymouth... hundreds of miles away from London :-(

I wonder what your suggestion would be for either a same day return or next day return for refuelling.. I was told Exeter services have loads of chargers, but I wonder how much time will be needed to do a fast DC charge. Obviously we will be charged at 100% on the morning of departure, but I expect to need to top up either overnight if we stay the night in Plymouth, or while we do the drop off.

Plans is for the wife and 2 kids to take the train there, and I will take the Car with teh luggage, so the return will be 3 humans and the way over will be one human and a few suitcases...

Any suggestions appreciated...

Hi, when we travel from Cornwall to Bracknell, we stop off at the MFG charging station at Cribbs Corner (Bristol). We leave Cornwall with 100%, easily get to Cribbs Corner. Rapid charge to top up to 80% in about 25 to 35 mins. Gets us to Bracknell with spare charge, so should get you back to London. I have done the trip there & back in one day. We have ZS EV Trophy long Range.

Last edited:
Have you tried ABRP app ? You can put all sorts information into it and it works out a route with charge stops.

Another useful one is EVNavigation

BEAAFA94-B3FC-411D-A74D-D81A924B2855.png

A new navigation app to me, I will have a nosey. :)

Having just returned from France, including travelling from Bristol to Plymouth and back, in our MG5 LR with a roof box, the apps are fine as long as the chargers working and available when you arrive! The French side was a bit odd, most of the chargers say they charge between 3 and 22kwh, but based on time to recharge it was only 6 even when the only car connected to the post. Got a bit twitchy arriving home at 1am on 11 miles range!

Having just returned from France, including travelling from Bristol to Plymouth and back, in our MG5 LR with a roof box, the apps are fine as long as the chargers working and available when you arrive! The French side was a bit odd, most of the chargers say they charge between 3 and 22kwh, but based on time to recharge it was only 6 even when the only car connected to the post. Got a bit twitchy arriving home at 1am on 11 miles range!
You will only get a maximum of 7kW on AC charging in the MG5. It doesn’t offer 3-Phase charging required for 22kW.

Use CCS for Rapid Charging.

Isn't that charging rate down to the car though, being single phase?

Isn't that charging rate down to the car though, being single phase?
Yes, that's correct. Some MGs made for Europe have 11kW chargers onboard. The Zoe will do 7 to 22kW, the onboard charger uses the motor windings to do three phase AC charging. Clever idea, and really makes a difference where 22kW chargers are available.

I actually bought my car from Plymouth. I live in Northamptonshire and work in Basingstoke, and my car was only charged up to 80% in Plymouth, I managed to charge it up close to Stonehenge; took about 45 minutes to go from 15% to 80%. In this warm weather you ought to be able to get from London to Plymouth on one charge; if you are at all anxious, try to keep to 60 or even 50mph.

I actually bought my car from Plymouth. I live in Northamptonshire and work in Basingstoke, and my car was only charged up to 80% in Plymouth, I managed to charge it up close to Stonehenge; took about 45 minutes to go from 15% to 80%. In this warm weather you ought to be able to get from London to Plymouth on one charge; if you are at all anxious, try to keep to 60 or even 50mph.
I think Exeter services on the way there will be the top up place and on the way back Weybridge, and of course do the overnight charge off street.

I use zap map to plan my journeys and if you click on the charger your thinking of using in the chat section people leave comments if they have had a successful charge and when that was I do the same only takes 2 mins and can be helpful to the next person who needs it can’t really do anything about it being available sometimes you gotta be patient.

I think Exeter services on the way there will be the top up place and on the way back Weybridge, and of course do the overnight charge off street.
I used Exeter services a few weeks ago on my way to sunny Cornwall for my holidays there’s loads of them the most I’ve seen in any one place all seemed to be working very busy but I got on one and charged from 20%-80% in about 45 mins easy so you’ll be fine there 😉

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom