Long journey thoughts

andrew99

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
So I just did 9 hours in the car on Saturday. Had to drive from a campground outside Canterbury to Sheffield and back the same day.
Started on 93% charge at 8:45am, first charge at IONITY services in Cambridge added 50% charge in 23 minutes.
Then charged at Newark, added about 30% but the charger was quite slow, maxed at 80KwH
Got to Sheffield about 1:45pm, used V2L to boil a kettle (daughter needed to gelatine her hair for a synchronised swimming competition) then departed about 6:20pm.
Stopped at Newark again but the charger was much better, over 100KwH for about 40% add. Then back to IONITY in Cambridge where I added 65% in 28 minutes. Got back to the campground around 11:15pm.

I love the IONITY chargers, very fast and I took the opportunity to grab a bite to eat and relieve myself. Car was ready when I was.
Newark was not quite so good, on the way up there was an ID Buzz beside me only getting 30KwH and took about 4 tries to connect. There is a big M&S food and a Costa there but the Costa was closed on the way back (after 7pm).

The car was very good to drive, I leave all the settings as normal and used ACC at about 72mph, occasionally speed up a little to overtake cars which are doing 71mph. I used minimum following distance in daylight when it’s dry, and medium setting at night or when it’s raining.
The only issue was about 20 minutes from the campground the fatigue warning went on. Couldn’t see anyway to disable it as I drove so had to pull over, lock the car, then start again. To be fair I was fatigued after about 500 miles of driving but I needed to get to my destination.

I could have used a 10 year old Peugeot 508 diesel for the journey which would have made it there and back without needing to fill up, but without the AC just normal cruise control would have been a lot more tiring. The Cambridge IONITY stops added no time, so it was just Newark that added to the journey.

All in all I was very happy with the car.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back