Long Range here we come!

Why would your usage increase with an EV tariff? Apart from the EV charging of course...
The 'daytime' tariff is higher than the price cap. I'd have to charge for at least 6 hours a week to break even verses being on a standard variable tariff.

I done some back of a packet maths around this. Figured I’d use about same in ev charge as I do in home lecky so by charging at night it counters the extra kWh rate for day to day. I’m guessing about 180kwh per month. On a cheap evening tariff should be about £160 a year for fuel for an extra £70 a year on my home use. In total £240 for the use of it overall. £20 a month vs my current £140 for petrol…..can’t wait!

Unless you've got electric heating, oven, hobs, showers etc. (i.e. electric is your only energy source) then you'd probably benefit from an EV tariff assuming you charge 6+ hours a week 🙂

Also don't forget if you lock in now for 12 months, if the cap rises in September you'll already be better off anyway before you charge your car.

The 'daytime' tariff is higher than the price cap. I'd have to charge for at least 6 hours a week to break even verses being on a standard variable tariff.
It won't be in October. :)

Be careful about changing to a EV tariff , as it does increase all your normal daily usage fairly considerably , you need to work what you average daily use of electric and cost of charging at night etc .
I think for now and the fact we don’t drive everyday, we aren’t changing the tariff. It’s all cheaply loaded to a few hours at night and ridiculously priced in the day right now.

We’ve always run (C rated) dishwasher at night, but now moved A+++ washing machine (at temperatures over 20oC - run during day at this low temperature) and A++ tumble drier (when possible) to the 00:30 to 04:30 slot now. Being in Scotland, it’s now a legal requirement to have interlinked heat and smoke alarms installed so I don’t have any concerns about running these at night.

Yesterday, without charging, I used 4kWh off peak and 10kWh peak so, 4x7.5p + 10x35.11p = £3.81. If using standard rate, 14x28p = £3.92

The day before I was 4.2kWh & 11.46kWh = £4.34 using Go. On standard rate that’s £4.38 - so only just worth it, again just under 27% overnight.

So - if I stick to a minimum of 26% overnight then it’s worthwhile. And that’s before adding in EV charging. But, I only do 500 miles a month and have access to free local AC & DC charging locally if I can be bothered driving the half mile to them.

Ok OK. Since last October I've managed to get 49% of my consumption into my cheap 4 hours with Go so I reckon I'm doing OK on an EV tariff. I don't really think I charge that much (2500 miles since 1 Dec), never yet charged away from home

Ok OK. Since last October I've managed to get 49% of my consumption into my cheap 4 hours with Go so I reckon I'm doing OK on an EV tariff. I don't really think I charge that much (2500 miles since 1 Dec), never yet charged away from home
I last charged on 22nd/23rd/24th May - going to 100% and balancing. Thanks to Covid, still got 70% charge left!

How are you calculating your peak/off-peak values? Downloading and calculating or does your provider give this detail?

I have a home-grown programme which downloads my half hourly usage from my supplier into a spreadsheet. I have data going back to end 2018 but I've not always been on this tariff - I was on the Agile tariff for a while where the cost varies each half hour.

For Nov 2018 - Feb 2019 29% of my overall consumption was on the cheap rate. I did have a PHEV then but only with 45 mile max range, so also had some petrol bills.

The 4 hour cheap slot is also used for washing and tumble drying. And with a modest solar panel array my daytime usage is lower than it might be.

Done 5k since 1st March. 99% charging has been free at work or bonnet, just done a couple of top ups for longer non commute round trips. (talking a couple of hours a month max)

I moved to Go last August as the 16p/5p was cheaper than the standard tarrif they were offering at 20p/unit, even without a car it was cheaper to be on the Go. When this comes up for renewal I'll almost certainly be coming off Go as I'm not able to time-shift enough usage to actually make it economical.

I guess if you're out all day at work and charge often then an EV tariff makes sense, but not for us being retired.
We have 2 EVs we're both in the house most of the day and we do little mileage so a normal tariff is the cheaper option.

I guess if you're out all day at work and charge often then an EV tariff makes sense, but not for us being retired.
We have 2 EVs we're both in the house most of the day and we do little mileage so a normal tariff is the cheaper option.
Exactly. It pays to do the Maths. We are towards the opposite extreme, 65% of our usage is now in the 4 hours of Go by time switching our usage and currently doing a portion of our heating via off-peak electricity (cheaper than Gas at the moment).

Unless you've got electric heating, oven, hobs, showers etc. (i.e. electric is your only energy source) then you'd probably benefit from an EV tariff assuming you charge 6+ hours a week 🙂

Also don't forget if you lock in now for 12 months, if the cap rises in September you'll already be better off anyway before you charge your car.
Almost certainly whatever fixed rate is being offered now will be higher per unit than what it’s expected to be in October.

I have a home-grown programme which downloads my half hourly usage from my supplier into a spreadsheet. I have data going back to end 2018 but I've not always been on this tariff - I was on the Agile tariff for a while where the cost varies each half hour.

For Nov 2018 - Feb 2019 29% of my overall consumption was on the cheap rate. I did have a PHEV then but only with 45 mile max range, so also had some petrol bills.

The 4 hour cheap slot is also used for washing and tumble drying. And with a modest solar panel array my daytime usage is lower than it might be.
I do 49% 5p night rate and 51% solar at home. The MG5 has actually increased the solar % due to the bigger battery allowing sunnier days to be absorbed and longer dull gaps bridged. WFH of course helps too!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom