• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Long Range here we come!

Welcome to the world of the MG5 EV LR. We've only had our's for 2 weeks, but it's been great. We kept our diesel Yeti just in case, but sold it today.

A few points that are worth knowing when you charge the car for free at the Tesco pod point. Don't be too shocked if your type 2 cable is locked into the charger and the car, even although the car doors are open. I found this out last week. Just lock the car and open it again and the cable will release.

The lane departure warning can be a bit of a pain, so I tend to switch it off. When it's on, the digital MPH speed indicator will disappear. Just push the left arrow on the right side of the steering wheel and your digital MPH will come back.

The cruise control is excellent. If you put it in cruise control, you can go up or down in 5mph increments, by just pushing the stick up or down. Handy for all the average speed cameras.

Don't let your charge run too low, as the one night we did, we found several chargers out of order! Unsurprisingly, the working chargers we did find were occupied. We made it home with 20% charge left, but it does focus the mind.
That is brilliant - thanks...have been looking at an app for local chargers (genie or something) and have seen several are not working - seems to be a 'thing' - our neighbour has one who has said we can use (& pay) so we have a back up till we get sorted - but it is definitely going to be a learning curve - but worth it..and can't wait to not pay for petrol again!

Yes nicely said vpk999 and micahelr I have used the pod point app in Blackpool and all good fully charged my mg5 and pod point say they are the biggest in UK 👍

That is brilliant - thanks...have been looking at an app for local chargers (genie or something) and have seen several are not working - seems to be a 'thing' - our neighbour has one who has said we can use (& pay) so we have a back up till we get sorted - but it is definitely going to be a learning curve - but worth it..and can't wait to not pay for petrol again!
Use Zap Map for locating chargers but don't necessarily believe the status. People report a charger as not working but quite often app doesn't get updated to working again.

Currently probably barely do 200miles a month - but no doubt will wanna do a few longer trips in the car now...I will look into other suppliers - we have an OFFCOM complaint in so not sure where that leaves us in terms of moving.

That is good to know about the battery as have read some weird things about never let it go under 50% - and it was like oh - and yeah petrol these days on red - as she leaves it for me to fill ... and didn't know about the locking wheel nuts? We have them on the existing car - so swap them in I guess... standard fittings...???
Locking wheel nuts ???? Is that a thing any more ? More pain than they are worth.
Stealing alloys was a sport when they were unusual, but who in their right mind is going to pinch the MG5 alloys !

We are collecting our LR MG5 on Thursday -RED - (second hand but dealer miles=13!!!)

Me and my Mrs are totally, well she is over the moon and slightly freaking out as we don't have a EV charger on order ...yet...

Am wondering as we are looking at the easee one - if anyone has anything to say about that - (we have an issue with electric supplier who have messed up our bills so can't change to an EV tariff just yet) - but as can still get the £350 grant as we are in a flat with a private drive, it feels like it makes sense to get an EV charger in. But feel having a charger with an APP so you can time when you want the charge to start (which I think the easee one allows for)

And any other tips - like should we never let the battery go below 50%? (I am sure I read that somewhere, or she did)

And any quirks etc... she is sure someone will steal the charging lead if we charge up in a supermarket -

It is a big change from petrol and looking forward to not paying for fossil fuel - but don't want the EV car to be a steeper than it needs to be learning curve!

Cheers
For an EVSE home charger, I didn't use these but they have a good reviews and good choices.

For an EVSE home charger, I didn't use these but they have a good reviews and good choices.

They seem very expensive in comparison to dealing with, say, PodPoint direct. Apart from the credit option what's the benefit?

Glad you getting a mg5 LR enjoy you and the better half I have a pod point charger and find it ok also the app so can charge through the app and soon it be law for the charger to be able to charge through a app had mine since march and love it 👍😁
I also have the PodPoint charger but I used the car for 10 months before I got it installed and had no problems managing without it. Having a Tesco with the free chargers close by was one of the reasons I why I did not rush to get my home charger installed and I only really got it because the grant was ending and we were going to get a second EV so thought it would be need more frequently.

They seem very expensive in comparison to dealing with, say, PodPoint direct. Apart from the credit option what's the benefit?
She likes the look of them - and lifetime sim card - the others come with fixed term ones and likely they will incur a cost when they run out - though don't know that for sure.

Locking wheel nuts ???? Is that a thing any more ? More pain than they are worth.
Stealing alloys was a sport when they were unusual, but who in their right mind is going to pinch the MG5 alloys !
What I think - but it is always good to know what others are doing or thinking about - can't imagine they are 'hot' to nick...

can't imagine they are 'hot' to nick...
I have to agree, but in comparison to a Type 2 charge lead at £180 from a well lit supermarket carpark with CCTV (at my local ones at least), £1,000+ replacement value of wheels and tyres let alone the hassle factor is more of a worry to me.

We are collecting our LR MG5 on Thursday -RED - (second hand but dealer miles=13!!!)

Me and my Mrs are totally, well she is over the moon and slightly freaking out as we don't have a EV charger on order ...yet...

Am wondering as we are looking at the easee one - if anyone has anything to say about that - (we have an issue with electric supplier who have messed up our bills so can't change to an EV tariff just yet) - but as can still get the £350 grant as we are in a flat with a private drive, it feels like it makes sense to get an EV charger in. But feel having a charger with an APP so you can time when you want the charge to start (which I think the easee one allows for)

And any other tips - like should we never let the battery go below 50%? (I am sure I read that somewhere, or she did)

And any quirks etc... she is sure someone will steal the charging lead if we charge up in a supermarket -

It is a big change from petrol and looking forward to not paying for fossil fuel - but don't want the EV car to be a steeper than it needs to be learning curve!

Cheers
Try and get the dealer to throw in a type 2 cable with the car. You'll need one to charge at supermarkets free chargers. Also don't believe what you read on hear about granny chargers. Loads of owners use nothing else. Perfectly safe as long as your wiring is OK.

Glad you getting a mg5 LR enjoy you and the better half I have a pod point charger and find it ok also the app so can charge through the app and soon it be law for the charger to be able to charge through a app had mine since march and love it 👍😁

Try and get the dealer to throw in a type 2 cable with the car. You'll need one to charge at supermarkets free chargers. Also don't believe what you read on hear about granny chargers. Loads of owners use nothing else. Perfectly safe as long as your wiring is OK.
they did throw one in - and some mats which was pretty useful!

Congratulations you are getting a great car. I have a Standard range and its been absolutely brilliant. I bought it for £24,800 brand new, current market value with 11k miles on it £24,200. This car has been the best I've ever owned, I've been driving BMW's for the last 20 years (330d + 320d) The build quality of the 330d was definitely better the 320d was about the same. Enjoy!
We got ours today - love it - I have hardly been allowed to drive it - drive is nice - though can't see how to stop the lane assist display (think that is it) take over where the speed is displayed - but so far all good - weird seeing the % go down on the car too...

Go in to settings on car and turn off lane assistant u have and only use the mg pilot whish great and has a mild lane assistant on it 👍

I have to agree, but in comparison to a Type 2 charge lead at £180 from a well lit supermarket carpark with CCTV (at my local ones at least), £1,000+ replacement value of wheels and tyres let alone the hassle factor is more of a worry to me.
I agree with the hassle factor (insurance) but honestly when was the last time anyone ever heard of alloys getting nicked ?

but honestly when was the last time anyone ever heard of alloys getting nicked ?
Agreed, but likewise when was the last time anyone ever heard of a charge cable getting nicked? The insurance issue depends on your excess and any protection that you have.

Welcome! EVs are great and no more difficult to charge than a mobile.

That's not a reason not to switch - in fact the opposite. How many miles do you expect to do and how many kWh (split peak/ off-peak if relevant) do you use at the moment?

That's not correct. Try not to keep the battery below 10% or above 90% for extended periods (many days), but otherwise it's fine to use the whole range. It can be a bit scary approaching 0% for the first time in terms of range anxiety but not harmful to the battery. I doubt that you or your partner regularly gamble on zero fuel in your ICE, why start doing so with an EV?

Whilst charging it is locked in at both ends, so that'll be hard. Don't leave the lead out when not charging for obvious reasons. Oh, and are you getting locking wheel nuts? A new set of wheels and tyres is £1k+.
Be careful about changing to a EV tariff , as it does increase all your normal daily usage fairly considerably , you need to work what you average daily use of electric and cost of charging at night etc .

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom