Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Anyone know what this means in iSMART?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 199
Anyone know what this means in iSMART?
The arrow shows the changing limit is 100%, this is known as long journey mode. If you slide the arrow to 80% it will change to health mode. Just indicating that you normally charge to 80% for best battery health, leaving 100% for long journeys.

The arrow shows the changing limit is 100%, this is known as long journey mode. If you slide the arrow to 80% it will change to health mode. Just indicating that you normally charge to 80% for best battery health, leaving 100% for long journeys.
Hmm.. ok thanks. So can the app actually switch off charging at a certain point then? I assumed I had to do that and the app just showed me what was happening

Yes the App will change the setting in the car.
grand. Thanks.

I guess 100% is ok for now as I am driving up to Sheffield tomorrow. But ordinarily I shall try to keep within the 20-80% range

strange that it doesn't seem to mention in the manual that the car can automatically switch off charging at a certain point. Good to know!

But ordinarily I shall try to keep within the 20-80% range

Please yourself, but me and plenty of others just charge to 100% every time.
Been doing this since 2016 and not changing now.
The only time I’d avoid 100% is if I was leaving the car unused for a longer period.

Please yourself, but me and plenty of others just charge to 100% every time.
Been doing this since 2016 and not changing now.
The only time I’d avoid 100% is if I was leaving the car unused for a longer period.
right. ok. Sounds good

FWIW. The option to charge to anything other than 100% is only available on the long range battery.

Yes. If you have the SR battery the "long trip mode" and "health mode" labels are irrelevant and the car will ignore all that. It wants you to charge to 100% every time you are on an AC charger, then it wants you to leave it plugged in for another half hour to to balance its cells. The app will show when it's finished.

If you don't do that, at least every week, the GOM will start lying to you and if you drive the car low you may get a nasty shock as the reported range suddenly drops not long before you run out of juice.

Just to be pedantic...
It's the cars (and only the LR models) that have the charge target, not the app as such. The app is just being a remote control for the car. You can also set the target on the infotainment screen.

When a charge reaches the target, the car will stop accepting charge, sending a message to the charger to say "no more, thanks".

It's handy in a few circumstances, depending on your lifestyle. They say you should aim for 80% on LRs, only charging to 100% in preparation for long trips. But also, for example, if you know 60% charge will get you home, you have 40%, and you're at a rapid charger that's 75p/kWh, it's nice to be able to set the target to 60% and not pay the rapid price for more juice than you need. Yeah, you can do that at the charger, sometimes, but not always, and it means working out yet another UI.

So it's a bit of a pity if you can't do it on an SE.

You can do it on an SE ... provided that you have an SE LR. ;)

BTW - the app used to show a functioning target arrow for me with my SE SR. But that changed after a couple of weeks. My guess is that it needs an account configuration on MG's server side to "disable" the target arrow.

Just to be pedantic...
It's the cars (and only the LR models) that have the charge target, not the app as such. The app is just being a remote control for the car. You can also set the target on the infotainment screen.

When a charge reaches the target, the car will stop accepting charge, sending a message to the charger to say "no more, thanks".

It's handy in a few circumstances, depending on your lifestyle. They say you should aim for 80% on LRs, only charging to 100% in preparation for long trips. But also, for example, if you know 60% charge will get you home, you have 40%, and you're at a rapid charger that's 75p/kWh, it's nice to be able to set the target to 60% and not pay the rapid price for more juice than you need. Yeah, you can do that at the charger, sometimes, but not always, and it means working out yet another UI.

So it's a bit of a pity if you can't do it on an SE.

If you have an SR in this situation you can just keep an eye on the app and stop the charge from the app when it gets to what you need. No need to go back to the charger.

The app will only stop the LR charging on round numbers anyway, and that's not always what you need.

Who wants to keep an eye on an app though ;)

I did exactly this the other weekend - I just needed an extra 10% or so to have confidence in my range homeward. Left it charging while I had a McDonald's. Came back to find I'd put three times as much as I needed in, at InstaVolt rapid-charge price.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back