Low Back Pain with New MG5

williepshields

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi,

I am a new MG 5 LR EV owner.

I am very happy with it in terms of running costs but I am finding it is giving me quite bad backache. I had been driving a Honda CRV previously with an obviously higher seating position.

I have bought myself an lumbar support but I am still having this problem.

I wonder if anyone else had this issue and whether I should bring it back to the dealer to check the driver seat springs and /or the car suspension?!

Any help tips etc would be greatly appreciated.

Will

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it an excite? I sat in both the excite and the exclusive and realised that I needed the lumber support adjustment that the exclusive had.

Definitely worth sitting in another exclusive and see if it feels any different/better.

I find mine pretty comfy but everyone is different.

I found it took me a few days to get the right position. In the end I settled on a higher seat, with slightly less view under the mirror, for a comfier position in terms of legs and back.

I've also found on longer journeys the left foot rest brings my leg too high, so don't use it now and have been much comfier.

I found it took me a few days to get the right position. In the end I settled on a higher seat, with slightly less view under the mirror, for a comfier position in terms of legs and back.

I've also found on longer journeys the left foot rest brings my leg too high, so don't use it now and have been much comfier.
Yes,

I am hoping it will settle down but it’s been a wee and still painful after even short journeys.

Thanks

Will

Unfortunately it's one of those things where everyone will have their seat slightly different.

I'd persevere for another week but try a different position each day and see if you can tweak it from there 😊

Owners generally find the seats comfy so I don't think there's a fundamental problem. All you can do is experiment and find the best compromise.

My only long journey in the car was start of last month and my left leg was getting sore as I don't think the seat supports far enough towards knees. Woke the next day very sore and was blaming the new car seats but turned out I had covid which explained the aches and pains 😂

I've had this issue with other new vehicles. If your driving position now is very different from your old car it can take some getting used to.

I had some hip pain, but then realised I had the seat too low.

It took me a while to realise the height adjustment pushes the seat forward, so you have to raise and push it backward again to maintain your distance as you increase height.

I'm the same as a few others. In my old ice I had the seat as low as possible. Started that way in the mg5 but quickly found raising the seat made it more comfortable. Think it is because of the high floor due to the battery. Thought this was just the cheap mg5 but I have seen youtubers with the same issue in other more expensive ev's. Knee's up in the air and wanting to lower their seat further than it will go.

Hi
The mirror is adjustable up and down
Make sure your steering wheel is set to the best position for you too
as this can create aches in your back too
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

The ICE origins of the MG5 (and other vehicles) has resulted in a lack of depth in the footwell. It was only after watching a review video that I looked at the height of the seat vs the floor. It definitely impacts on the driving position.

My mustang is similar, but has a sunken rear seat so your bums low, knees high to pull your feet in tight to the seat to compensate for the lack of space (it's a 2+2) and of course you're not trying to drive in that position.

I find the lumbar support on my Exclusive to be incredibly uncomfortable! I've tried adjusting the lever on the side of the seat to push it back into the seat, but I can still feel it digging into my back! Is this normal? I love the car, but I hate the seat!

I find the lumbar support on my Exclusive to be incredibly uncomfortable! I've tried adjusting the lever on the side of the seat to push it back into the seat, but I can still feel it digging into my back! Is this normal? I love the car, but I hate the seat!
Same here. Sort of getting used to it but sometimes I feel it in my lower back. Worse on a long run.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom