Low Battery - Reduced Power

I had the new BMS January 2021 update done today and drove back from Burnley to Blackpool with around 70 miles left on the charge.

I have to say the car performed extremely well maintaining a steady 70mph to 75mph in places all the way home without a flinch.

I put the car on charge this evening using my ROLEC Dumb charger and it took around 4 hours to get it up to 100% charge, but for some strange reason, the indicator light on the ROLEC remains green instead off a steady blue which is normal once the battery is fully charged.

It is now another 4 hours further on and have just checked the car which is still saying 100% charged but the green light still remains on as though the car is still receiving a charge.

The MG Logo remains stable and not pulsating, I have completely shut down the Rolec supply and resumed it again and unplugged the charging lead and re-connected it etc. and each time it goes green which tells me the car is still pulling some charging current even if small.

Is this maybe the process of equalisation of the cells?

Will leave it overnight and check again in the morning and if still green will call the dealer to see if they can shed some light on the suspect problem.

Unless of course anyone else out there have experienced something similar since the BMS latest update.

Andy (Blackpool)
yes, that is the equalisation charge, somewhere around 0.35 kw, Steady light on the MG badge

I had the new BMS January 2021 update done today and drove back from Burnley to Blackpool with around 70 miles left on the charge.

I have to say the car performed extremely well maintaining a steady 70mph to 75mph in places all the way home without a flinch.

I put the car on charge this evening using my ROLEC Dumb charger and it took around 4 hours to get it up to 100% charge, but for some strange reason, the indicator light on the ROLEC remains green instead off a steady blue which is normal once the battery is fully charged.

It is now another 4 hours further on and have just checked the car which is still saying 100% charged but the green light still remains on as though the car is still receiving a charge.

The MG Logo remains stable and not pulsating, I have completely shut down the Rolec supply and resumed it again and unplugged the charging lead and re-connected it etc. and each time it goes green which tells me the car is still pulling some charging current even if small.

Is this maybe the process of equalisation of the cells?

Will leave it overnight and check again in the morning and if still green will call the dealer to see if they can shed some light on the suspect problem.

Unless of course anyone else out there have experienced something similar since the BMS latest update.

Andy (Blackpool)
Your car is still doing equalization process when logo is on.

Fully charged and balanced the cars showing 450v which from previous posts seems to be the new normal. Worrying though if MG has rolled out the fix to resolve the balancing, yet accidentally introduce another and more potentially dangerous bug....
I’m at 449v fully charged and when the temps last week were down at 0c-3c on 5/4/3 graticules (fuel gauge) I did see restricted boost of between 60-80% so MG restricted power but I can categorically say that since receiving the latest BMS at warmer temps 9c-10c I’m getting huge regen again at high states of charge something I lost in Sep BMS update plus I’m getting 100% boost at lower state of charge 2-3 graticules. My MG right now is performing the best it has since I bought the car on 1st Mar 20 with this latest update.

UPDATE
It's now 10:30pm and have just checked the car and finally the light on the ROLEC Box has turned steady blue. The MG Logo has gone out so I guess "a6taxipl" is right, it has been doing the EQ process which has taken a good 6 hours since the car itself shows 100% charged.

Temperature here is 9 degrees C, Voltage on Fully Charged (1st charge since update) 448 V.

Andy (Blackpool)

UPDATE
It's now 10:30pm and have just checked the car and finally the light on the ROLEC Box has turned steady blue. The MG Logo has gone out so I guess "a6taxipl" is right, it has been doing the EQ process which has taken a good 6 hours since the car itself shows 100% charged.

Temperature here is 9 degrees C, Voltage on Fully Charged (1st charge since update) 448 V.

Andy (Blackpool)
What you are witnessing is the same as most other owners “Post” new BMS update.
The HV battery balance process is taking a while.
My first home charge after the latest BMS update, from a SOC of 92% took almost 11 hours in total to charge and balance !.

I’m at 449v fully charged and when the temps last week were down at 0c-3c on 5/4/3 graticules (fuel gauge) I did see restricted boost of between 60-80% so MG restricted power but I can categorically say that since receiving the latest BMS at warmer temps 9c-10c I’m getting huge regen again at high states of charge something I lost in Sep BMS update plus I’m getting 100% boost at lower state of charge 2-3 graticules. My MG right now is performing the best it has since I bought the car on 1st Mar 20 with this latest update.
That is great that you are getting regen at high states of charge. This matches what is in the video podcast linked above. The cells are not charged to their full capacity as before, but the missing part is compensated by allowing the cells to discharge to a lower level. Thus you get the same range of charge (same capacity) but regen will work from a full charge as there is still capacity in the batteries. If you are lucky enough for the start of your journey to have downhill, then you can now charge the battery through regen to a higher state than just by plugging it in. Also means the car is safer in wintery conditions as the regen is like engine braking on an ICE car and will slow the vehicle without using the brakes.

How many miles on the GOM ?

Personally I wouldn't care what the voltages were as long as the range is is the same (or better).
As a matter of interest does 5v less out of 455, a 1.1% loss, also mean a 1.1% loss in bhp or torque and is there a 1.1% loss in the boost voltage too ?
Does anyone know what the boost voltage is and was ?

I asked a similar question. I agree about voltages - many manufacturers don’t even show them - and you can see why they don’t!

Personally I wouldn't care what the voltages were as long as the range is is the same (or better).
As a matter of interest does 5v less out of 455, a 1.1% loss, also mean a 1.1% loss in bhp or torque and is there a 1.1% loss in the boost voltage too ?
Does anyone know what the boost voltage is and was ?
Yes, the range of charge is the same. The battery has the same capacity after the update but the battery as a whole will have a slightly lower voltage. Really, you don't care about the voltage of the battery. It is a bit like a fuel tank in that you don't get anything different whether the tank is full or nearly empty. The same with the battery. As long as it is above its minimum voltage, it is capable of providing the same power when fully charged or partly charged. It is the reservoir of fuel. What we would like to see, is that the BMS software allows the full amount of power to be available for the great proportion of the capacity of the battery. A petrol/diesel car does not restrict power during the last 10% of the fuel, but an electric car has that ability, so you can eek out the distance to the next charging point. What we have been seeing is a loss of power quite early in the discharge of the battery. Hopefully, the new BMS software has fixed this.

Interested in what the dealer says
Booked in for 4th March - low range for the past 5 months so MG have asked dealer for tests to be done on main battery - had all software updates - they are thinking that another software update will be needed - will report back !!

Actually we do care about the voltage for a few reasons.
1. increased regen at 100%
2. stronger regen
3. Faster charging at a rapid
4. Charging for longer (above 82%) at a decent rate (I was pulling over 35 kW at 87% on Thursday at about 8/9°C ambient after 80 mile motorway drive at 60/65mph. So battery not really warmed up.
5. protects the battery so it lasts longer.

That will do for starters!

2. stronger regen
4. Charging for longer (above 82%) at a decent rate (I was pulling over 35 kW at 87% on Thursday at about 8/9°C ambient after 80 mile motorway drive at 60/65mph. So battery not really warmed up.

I meant in relation to the power delivery. Comparing it to a fuel tank. Of course you care if it is full or empty, how much you can fit in it etc. But, I meant that how full it is, makes no difference to how much power is produced. (well until the last few percent)

2. stronger regen

From an owners perspective (normally) I don't think we should get to see the voltage and then there shouldn't be any thought about having to care about it/watching it.

I really really believe Voltage and Amps should be removed from the dash and replaced with, kWh available "in the tank" and kW currently being used/generated.
I've been debating with myself (I'm bored) whether State Of Charge should normally be visible on the dash, it seems silly that the only normal way to see it is to have to plug it in. I've decided though that SoC wouldn't be anywhere near as good or useful as the actual kWh available - as what would be 100% SoC would alter as the battery capacity degrades over time.

From an owners perspective (normally) I don't think we should get to see the voltage and then there shouldn't be any thought about having to care about it/watching it.

I really really believe Voltage and Amps should be removed from the dash and replaced with, kWh available "in the tank" and kW currently being used/generated.
I've been debating with myself (I'm bored) whether State Of Charge should normally be visible on the dash, it seems silly that the only normal way to see it is to have to plug it in. I've decided though that SoC wouldn't be anywhere near as good or useful as the actual kWh available - as what would be 100% SoC would alter as the battery capacity degrades over time.
I agree, it is a strange choice to show voltage. kWh would indeed make more sense. In order to meet the differing ranges of user knowledge, the straightforward number of bars, that mimics an ICE car is probably the easiest to understand. kWh could be an option to show for users that really want to know that information but I think the EV car manufacturers should invest some space in the manual to explain battery characteristics and what kWh mean if it is going to be shown. I remember the old Ford Cortina mkIII GT with dials showing oil temperature, crank case pressure etc. Did we need to know those things or were they just fun to know. Some users love that kind of information and will research what the significance of these values are. Anything that requires a knowledge of battery chemistry/characteristics, electrical theory and the like should probably be abstracted away from the user. It would be interesting to know the decision process that went into showing voltage.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom