Max Charging %

Loosehead

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all,

Read a few threads but can't see a definitive answer.

My ZS EV doesn't respond to the app when I try and move it out of long trip mode. Another thread says that the standard range should be charged to 100% as often as possible. Is this correct?

TIA

Adam

It is a good idea to balance the batteries once a month especially if you do a lot of rapid charges.
I have my battery between 80-90% each morning for my commute and balance roughly once a month at the weekends but I dont do a lot of rapid charging.

I think all SR do this, mine is the same as yours, drag the slider to 80% and it looks like its sending this info to the car but it never sticks, i also notice everytime i go back into the app it briefly shows the slider bar 80 before going back to 100%

Yes
SR 100% every night if you like
LR 80% most of the time 100% for long trips or randomly for balance charge
I know it sounds strange but the 2 batterys are made with different chemistry

Hi all,

Read a few threads but can't see a definitive answer.

My ZS EV doesn't respond to the app when I try and move it out of long trip mode. Another thread says that the standard range should be charged to 100% as often as possible. Is this correct?

TIA

Adam
Yes the short range has different battery technology - which is happy to get a full charge every time.

I wonder why the long range has different chemistry.

I would imagine that the chemistry that does not degrade even if charged to 100% every time, is more expensive, so it makes little to no sense to put that in the "cheapest" variant.

Do we know if the LR has a problem with 100% no matter how it is applied ?

I know fast charging will degrade the battery faster than "slow charge".

I wonder if the battery is less degraded if charged to 100% with a granny charger, as opposed to a fast charger.

My home charger never goes above 3KW so essentially charging "very slow". (Not a problem, the car spends a lot of time in the driveway, so plenty of hours to get to "full").

I would imagine that the chemistry that does not degrade even if charged to 100% every time, is more expensive, so it makes little to no sense to put that in the "cheapest" variant.

I wonder if the battery is less degraded if charged to 100% with a granny charger, as opposed to a fast charger.

My home charger never goes above 3KW so essentially charging "very slow". (Not a problem, the car spends a lot of time in the driveway, so plenty of hours to get to "full").
The energy density is different and why the 2 models weigh about the same yet the LR has 20 kWh more storage.

It's actually the SR has the cheaper battery density isn't as good and worse in cold conditions

I have experiened the SR ignoring charge level request. I feel it would really should let my SR to charge below 100%

why? I have gotten so used to regen braking that not having when the battery is full has nearly caught me out a few times. I now expect the car to slow by lifting the accelerator, when it doesnt it is a surprise (bear in mind this will be early in the morning and brain not necessarily fully engaged )

I nearly always charge overnight at home. I can do the maths and work out how long to charge for as there is no API for Ohme to talk to, but I feel thats unecessarily painful to calculate and configure

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom