Maybe new owner

Oldgrice

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi my name is Paul I have a deal in place to buy a red MGZSEV exclusive, going to check over a demo car on Saturday morning. If all goes well will place an order and will be four weeks.
I've read some threads on here so I will make sure all the updates to coding are done at pdi.
I'm a little nervous about buying the car on a couple of things.
1) car being Chinese made any one had issues?
2) coming from a range rover evoque has anyone else done this and how do you find it.
3) I'm guessing you have to adapt your driving styles to get the best from battery life.
4)Does anyone regret buying their car or the MG?.
Sorry to go on its a big leap first new car and an electric one?

Hi there, my simple advise is drive the car and see for yourself as this was my first EV and didn’t know what to expect coming out of a Volvo XC90 and to be honest I was pleasantly surprised by the build quality, the comfort of the ride and let’s not forget the amount of car for the money.
With all new cars you will get teething problems and EV’s are all about the software and the recent updates have improved the vehicle from when I test drove it and placed my order.
You are right about driving styles you need to try and drive efficiently to get the best from the car and if you are a Lewis Hamilton don’t bother with any EV.
I certainly do not regret buying this car, it’s my first brand new car, my first EV and I love it.
But remember it’s not about me or the other forum members who I know love this car, see what you think on the test drive.
Quick question how many miles do you drive per day / or week?

Hi Mark
I've test drove the car before, and was very surprised by the car so this is to make sure its right.
This would be my wife's car and wouldn't be driven every day, and not more the 15 miles when it is.
If I use it for work would be 60 round trip.
Yeah I was very impressed with the equipment spec and the adaptive cc. Your right of course its all about personal choices and what you need.
Paul

Hi Mark
I've test drove the car before, and was very surprised by the car so this is to make sure its right.
This would be my wife's car and wouldn't be driven every day, and not more the 15 miles when it is.
If I use it for work would be 60 round trip.
Yeah I was very impressed with the equipment spec and the adaptive cc. Your right of course its all about personal choices and what you need.
Paul
Hi Paul,
Based on what you’ve said the car would be perfect for the quoted mileage.
Have you been told about Zap-Map as it would be worth looking to see the Free charging points in your local area where you can benefit from free electricity. I’m currently sat in a Travelodge with Pod-Point free charging doing my emails, great way to work and get mileage at the same time and to be honest with the savings I’m making on fuel the car is generally paying for itself. If you do the occasional longer journey it’s all about planning ahead and leaving extra time for the odd stop if needed, but from a H&S point of view it’s good to be forced in to rest breaks.

A very worth while app for checking charging point locations, route planning etc.
It’s free check it out and you’ll be surprised at how many charging points there are out there..you can also, once you’ve found a point use the navigate to it option for ease.

Hi my name is Paul I have a deal in place to buy a red MGZSEV exclusive, going to check over a demo car on Saturday morning. If all goes well will place an order and will be four weeks.
I've read some threads on here so I will make sure all the updates to coding are done at pdi.
2) coming from a range rover evoque has anyone else done this and how do you find it.
3) I'm guessing you have to adapt your driving styles to get the best from battery life.
Hi Paul,
Based on what you’ve said the car would be perfect for the quoted mileage.
Have you been told about Zap-Map as it would be worth looking to see the Free charging points in your local area where you can benefit from free electricity. I’m currently sat in a Travelodge with Pod-Point free charging doing my emails, great way to work and get mileage at the same time and to be honest with the savings I’m making on fuel the car is generally paying for itself. If you do the occasional longer journey it’s all about planning ahead and leaving extra time for the odd stop if needed, but from a H&S point of view it’s good to be forced in to rest breaks.
Don't be worried, I was so impressed when my wife got her car that I decided to ditch my Mercedes GLC which I was loosiing £500 per month to an MG ZS EV.
This is my first electric car and I wouldn't go back to an ICE.
China makes cars for Audi ,VW and Volvo so have no fear about quality.

Hi Paul, we use out MG exactly as you intend and find it perfect for the job.
Once you have the car for a while it will have got under your skin and you won’t look back.
Owning an EV will take some adjustment but it’s like all new tech at first. Go buy it!

I am very happy with the MG. For the price, the amount of gadgets you get seems a very good deal. Plus its got to be the cheapest EV for the mileage you get.

Driving requires a slight change of mindset, being gentle on the pedals, thinking a little more about journeys, sitting at 60-65 rather than 70-75 on the motorway (if you have a long journey). But once you've used it for a week it becomes second nature. And if you are doing regular shortish journeys, you don't even need to worry about any of that. 60mile round trip is nothing, so if you charge most nights at home you can drive how you like!
cheers
nick

And to fully charge the car at home will, subject to tariffs only cost you about £5 and something substantially cheaper....or as I said before use Zap-Map and find free chargers and charge for free. The free chargers are normally 7 kWh and therefore subject to how much you need, but normally 6 hours for a full charge, which from what you’ve said would mostly last you a week. Or alternatively visit free chargers little and more frequently and let’s not forget no noise or pollution.

Thanks all I'm getting the positive vibs, as you say it's a little scary the unknown but will soon settle. Yes my range is loosing money like its going out of fashion, there comes a point when you have to make the leap before it worthless.
Role on Saturday ?

Thanks all I'm getting the positive vibs, as you say it's a little scary the unknown but will soon settle. Yes my range is loosing money like its going out of fashion, there comes a point when you have to make the leap before it worthless.
Role on Saturday ?
Good luck let us know how you get on and ask if you have any other questions.
When you check out the demo car ask if the vehicle has the comfort 2 software updates install (it should have) on the middle digital display you should see the GOM estimated ranger in the bottom left instead of a clock. And also on the infotainment screen you should see top right next to the time the outside temp display.

Its only the 3rd new car ive had in many years of driving. They were a VW Touareg, Kia Sportarge and now the MG.

It's far and away my favourite and the cheapest to run.

It brings a smile to my face every time I take out. Good choice Paul.! :)

Hi Paul......I've had my MG since March and I love every minute of driving it. As Mark says...."It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it".......and especially now I have got all the updates on the car......I'm sure you'll enjoy it......The only one gripe I have with it is it's so much wider than my last car .....Hyundai I20.....and it won't fit in my garage.

IMHO you're definately making the right move, especially for your use case. We got our MG in January and have now covered nearly 7000 miles. It's our first EV and we (my wife and I) had very similar questions to yourself beforehand. Having owned and driven the car now, we are both completely delighted with the EV experience in general, and the MG in particular. I'll NEVER go back to ICE - once you've tasted the real thing, nothing else will do!! :) We spent the first couple of weeks stressing about range and driving style, then relaxed into the fact that the car will have more range than any particular journey will need, so just stop fretting and drive it like an ordinary car. I now leave the car on "Normal" mode most of the time (cos it's a LOT of fun ;-)) and sometimes set it to "Sport" when I'm on my own and want a fun ride ;-) - the power train on the MG is actually really good - so much better than an equivalent ICE car!!
You didn't mention whether you have a driveway to park the car - this will make a big difference to your ownership experience (although with your mileage, it should still be easy to own, even if you only have on-street parking).

Hi Dangerous Doug
Yeah I think it will be fine we have our own drive so parking and charging no issue. The wife loves her range but it's loosing money hand over fist it will be harder to swop if we leave longer.
?Well that's what I'm telling her.

I went from a Kodiak apart from missing the space, everything is ok, do miss the umbrellas in the doors, electric boot and such lol but it's nippier and about 6 pounds a week to run

Update I managed to get the test drive brought forward to last night, as Im going to Coventry on Saturday to talk over a deal as they are offering me a deal that will be £500 better.
So very happy with the car even got the wife to drive it she doesn't normally do that. The demo car to my surprise didn't have the comfort 2 update on it. So every time you change lanes it bonged even when indicating ?I guess this is one of the fixes.
So we had a chat with the sales guy told him about my offer and they have the car in stock. He said it would be 1 to 2 months and couldn't do any more on the price.
So going to place the order Saturday and all updates will be done when pdi carried out.
So when I drove the car the steering felt a little light could of been poor tyre pressures, but that was only thing that was a negative. ??
Looking forward to getting the car now hopefully by this time next week ??

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom