Mechanical Key hole

AlfC

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Anyone know where the key hole for the mechanical door key is? Just about to leave the car with the battery disconnected so it would help to be able to unlock the car on return to re-connect the battery.
Thanks
Alf

(from the manual)

Using the mechanical key to lock: partially operate the door release handle, using a suitable flat blade tool, insert the tool into the underside of the trim and carefully remove the door lock trim cover, insert the key into the driver door lock and turn counter clockwise to lock the car.

Found a key hole on the underside of the driver's door handle but inserting the key doesn't seem to do anything and the car stays locked. Is there anything else you have to do while inserting the key?

(from the manual)

Using the mechanical key to lock: partially operate the door release handle, using a suitable flat blade tool, insert the tool into the underside of the trim and carefully remove the door lock trim cover, insert the key into the driver door lock and turn counter clockwise to lock the car.
Ah Thanks. I looked in the manual ~(honest!) but couldn't see the relevant bit

Someone posted a YouTube video showing how to do this in another thread. I have no idea how to find it, but it exists.

Someone posted a YouTube video showing how to do this in another thread. I have no idea how to find it, but it exists.
In this video Mike explains how he entered his ZS EV ( Gen1) by using the emergency blade, after locking himself out of the car when trying to preheat the car.
It will be a very similar exercise on other MG models.
It will clearly show how the coloured rear section of the external drivers door handle can be removed to expose the manual locking barrel in the door.
Simply insert the emergency blade into the locking barrel and then turn the blade to unlock the car.
This will work even if the 12 volt battery is depleted.

Thanks all. I ended up having to leave the battery connected: having discovered how to access the keyhole, I found the key would not turn. I suspect the lock was frozen (-4C at the time) but attempts to unfreeze it failed so I didn't want to risk coming back and being unable to unlock the car because of some fault in the mechanism.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back