MG 4 charging

Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi just done the first full charge on the wife’s MG4 Se SR,when I started the charge it was at 58% so charged it up slowly on my ZAPPI in eco mode so a lot of the time only charging at 1.4 KWs, took it to 100% and left it to balance at the end of which it was showing 100% with 231 miles of range available, not to bad as its is only said to do to do 218, that was in the default setting of Normal regen 3
Les

Attachments

• 81F6BE08-77BA-49EC-A1FA-9319D1041575.jpeg
    81F6BE08-77BA-49EC-A1FA-9319D1041575.jpeg
    400.9 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Yeh I very often let my mg5 charge on eco 1.4 mode on the ZAPPI at 1.4 plus any solar that might come along and I get very good range from that I think a slow charge helps keep the battery cool so maybe puts in a little bit more not sure.
Les

I filled up my se sr on a rapid to 100% on the weekend and it got to 250 somehow and still looking above stated although don't expect to get full range. Im averaging about 4kWh per mile at moment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221024-210922_MG iSMART.jpg
    Screenshot_20221024-210922_MG iSMART.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 168
Last edited by a moderator:
250 miles Wow I’m wondering if apart form the tinted rear glass that’s been fitted by mistake to some SE cars if some SR models got a LR battery fitted by mistake as well, don’t know how you could check anybody any idea.
Les

Yeh I very often let my mg5 charge on eco 1.4 mode on the ZAPPI at 1.4 plus any solar that might come along and I get very good range from that I think a slow charge helps keep the battery cool so maybe puts in a little bit more not sure.
Les
How do you find the Zappi? Would you recommend it?

I filled up my se sr on a rapid to 100% on the weekend and it got to 250 somehow and still looking above stated although don't expect to get full range. Im averaging about 4kw per mile at moment.
Presume you mean 4 miles per kWh

Sounds good, thank you
Hi again as I said the Zappi great bit of kit especially with PV and when mine was installed couple years back it was at the time one of only a couple that could do solar PV but nowadays there is now several on the market that can do the solar and may be cheaper for you so you need to shop around a bit but Zappi yes 100% as I said.
Les

Hi again as I said the Zappi great bit of kit especially with PV and when mine was installed couple years back it was at the time one of only a couple that could do solar PV but nowadays there is now several on the market that can do the solar and may be cheaper for you so you need to shop around a bit but Zappi yes 100% as I said.
Les
Perfect, thanks again for that. I’ve narrowed my selection to Zappi or Hypervolt as I want solar capabilities. The Zappi is the more expensive of the 2, but if it’s much better then I’d rather get it.

@Les burrows Hope you don’t mind me picking your brains. I’m thinking about getting a tethered Zappi installed and was wondering if you use a cover to protect it from the elements?

I don’t have solar panels installed at present, but it’s definitely something I’m considering. If I get the Zappi first and at a later date the solar panels, do you know if it’s a simple matter to connect the two?

One last question. About how long from ordering the Zappi, having it installed to using it did it take? I’m not expecting my car until January, but it might be worth getting the Zappi installed first.

I ordered my Zappi from CEF and it arrived within 48 hrs. I have a local electrician who will fit it for a low price next week. My house is already prepared with a dedicated EV charging circuit and junction box on the wall outside. Doing it this way was cheaper and faster than getting a bundle from Octopus.

Well FiferMG4 hope your enjoying your car we are for sure.
So Zappi
1 There is no need for any cover at all it is fully weather proof I personally don’t need that anyway as mine is in the Garage anyhow but you don’t need one.

2 connecting solar to Zappi at a later that should not be any problem at all As the only connection is via a CT clamp from the meter tail to the Zappi as far as I know and your installer can do that at the time I’m sure.

3 now that’s a difficult one really as getting it installed before you get the car that I would do then you have it there ready,I would have a ring around or email a few installers to check on availability and then book it in to be done just before your car arrives, says week or two, I used the MyEnergi web site to find installers in my area but back then 2/3 years ago there weren’t that many around nowadays the are loads on the Internet to sound out plus if you book it in now you be able to fix a price.
Hope this helps
Les

Perfect, thanks again for that. I’ve narrowed my selection to Zappi or Hypervolt as I want solar capabilities. The Zappi is the more expensive of the 2, but if it’s much better then I’d rather get it.
Simpson&Partners can do solar too now I believe and they look far better too

I don’t have solar panels installed at present, but it’s definitely something I’m considering. If I get the Zappi first and at a later date the solar panels, do you know if it’s a simple matter to connect the two?
It should not make any difference if you get the solar panels installed sometime later as the solar is obviously connected to/through the meter box.
If your Zappi is already in place it is using power anyway like everything else in the home and the total power cost will then be reduced by the solar panels once installed.

Last edited:
Well FiferMG4 hope your enjoying your car we are for sure.
So Zappi
1 There is no need for any cover at all it is fully weather proof I personally don’t need that anyway as mine is in the Garage anyhow but you don’t need one.

2 connecting solar to Zappi at a later that should not be any problem at all As the only connection is via a CT clamp from the meter tail to the Zappi as far as I know and your installer can do that at the time I’m sure.

3 now that’s a difficult one really as getting it installed before you get the car that I would do then you have it there ready,I would have a ring around or email a few installers to check on availability and then book it in to be done just before your car arrives, says week or two, I used the MyEnergi web site to find installers in my area but back then 2/3 years ago there weren’t that many around nowadays the are loads on the Internet to sound out plus if you book it in now you be able to fix a price.
Hope this helps
Les
Thank you very much Les! That was very helpful. I will mention to the installer about my plans to get solar panels at a later date.

When you charge your car with the Zappi, do you operate it with the Zappi itself, a Zappi app, or with the car or with the MG iSmart app? There seem to be many options, but which do you find simplest for scheduled charging?

One more thing, I read that you get a pin code for the Zappi. Is it easy to see this when entering it on a dark and stormy night? 😅

That’s interesting that you had the Zappi put inside your garage. Does that mean you always charge the car inside? If your car is parked outside on the driveway, do you keep the garage door open or if it’s closed have you had a hole (with hatch?) put into the garage door to run the charger through?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back