Mg 5 issues

Lemonjelly

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hello,

I'm not sure if these issues have already been touched on or there is already a thread, but I couldnt find them.

I'm taking my MG 5 21 plate in for it's 30000 mile services in a week and come across the following issues which I'm hoping will be covered by the warranty, and just raise awareness incase anyone else has it.

The rear tyres have worn on the insides like a 50 pence piece causing a noise that sounds very much like wheel bearing. Tyres are correct pressure and no heavy braking or eratic driving.
IMG_20220618_192058_edit_96240502017605.jpg

Ive discovered rust behind the rear bumper 5 months ago which I've wax oiled for now, I didn't take the best picture but you can see the rust stain down the paint,
IMG_20220618_194055.jpg
And also rust around the bonnet catch. I wouldnt expect any rust on a year and half old car.
IMG_20220618_191853.jpg

The park button chrome is starting to peel off.
IMG_20220618_192138.jpg

And last, the boot struts have just completly failed so it will no longer hold the boot open.

That being said, I've had no other issues, love the car and cheap motoring.

Cheers

Thanks for sharing this. It's good to document the issues.

I wouldn't worry about a tiny amount of surface rust, it's totally normal. The tyre wear suggests that the wheels are incorrectly aligned so you should get them checked. However, simply inflating them a bit over the recommend PSI will cause more wear in the middle of the tread which will even it up over time and give you slightly better economy too.

The peeling 'p' is a known issue and should be fixed under warranty. I'd imagine the boot struts would be covered too.

That sounds like a similar noise to the one I get when turning the steering wheel going round a roundabout.
I had my front and rear wheels swapped at my 15k service just to get more outbof the tyres. Are you still on your original tyres at 30k if not what did you fit?

That sounds like a similar noise to the one I get when turning the steering wheel going round a roundabout.
I had my front and rear wheels swapped at my 15k service just to get more outbof the tyres. Are you still on your original tyres at 30k if not what did you fit?
I've replaced the fronts at about 20k as they where worn with kumho Ecsta PS71.

The rears have plenty of tread, just worn flats spots on the the insides of the tyres. If mg won't do anything I will end up replacing just becuase of the noise.

It seems not only have they copied the styling of the VW Passat they've also managed to somehow duplicate one of its rear suspension traits. I've done 200k miles in mine and it's never worn a set of rears evenly in the whole time I've had it 🤣

The car runs more than a degree of negative camber by design so perfectly even wear is unlikely.

In regards to the tyre wear, this is typical of worn out shock absorbers (use Google search for ‘tyre cupping’ to confirm).

I used to get this issue on cars which had done over 200,000 miles, not 30,000 but did notice that this occurred quicker on certain tyre makes i.e. Avon, with it less likely on Michelin, with Kumho in between.

They dont, it's off a mk6 astra, I just made it fit. I don't tow with it. It's just to carry a bike rack as I have no other way to carry bikes.

In regards to the tyre wear, this is typical of worn out shock absorbers (use Google search for ‘tyre cupping’ to confirm).

I used to get this issue on cars which had done over 200,000 miles, not 30,000 but did notice that this occurred quicker on certain tyre makes i.e. Avon, with it less likely on Michelin, with Kumho in between.
The shock absorber observation is interesting, as I have felt that the car is underdamped. It shows most notably on long fast and bumpy corners, when it will bounce up and down a bit, just when you want it to be stable.

I don't expect anyone has gone to the trouble and expense of fitting after market shocks yet have they?

The only 'legality' would come if you were involved in an accident and your insurance saw it & revoked your policy because it was a modification they erred not told about. Even if you did tell them they may say its not an authorised one if MG say its not designed for that...then you might be done fore not having insurance even if the accident didn't involve the tow bar.
My insurer (Privilege) marked my rear pass & window tinting as a 'modification ' and Charge me £6pa more (despite it not improving my performance lol) so I'd guess a tow bar could peak their interest

I'd guess a tow bar could peak their interest

The point being that it's not a towbar as it's not being used for towing.

it's no different to putting the bikes on a back of a boot mount rack, only secure and much safer.
However it is "permanent" and does alter the crash structure so asking is the safest option.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom