MG Australia capped price service costs

ChrisR

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
MG Australia have just announced capped price service costs for all models purchased since 2016 (whole story here ) and I was interested to see the ZS EV is scheduled for services at 24 month/20,000 km intervals. Prices are $268 for the first 3 services then $807 at 96 months/80,000 km (currently equivalent to about £140 and £424), then back to $268.

That seems a bit steep for what I gather is often just a quick check/update of fluids and software but as it's only every second year it's not bad over the life of the vehicle. Any thoughts?

Edit: It appears the news item I got this info from is not completely right and it's only cars bought after July 2021 that will have this new service schedule. h/t @kesselrig

Screenshot (3).png

Last edited:
It’s interesting that different countries have a variety of service intervals for the same car. The UK is 15k miles or 12 Months - Australia c12k miles or 2 Years for example. As I’ve said before these cars require minimal service work - they are virtually maintenance free apart from the obvious minor items.

It’s interesting that different countries have a variety of service intervals for the same car. The UK is 15k miles or 12 Months - Australia c12k miles or 2 Years for example. As I’ve said before these cars require minimal service work - they are virtually maintenance free apart from the obvious minor items.
Very interesting. What's the going rate for the 12 month service?

There are two tiers - low mileage and normal mileage. First service low mileage around £50 - normal mileage around £100. Dealers vary a lot!

Excellent. Can you name the dealer?

Excellent. Can you name the dealer?
Eden MG in Swindon. I don't know whether any forum user has experience of them; nothing's mentioned in the relevant thread.

They're not the supplying dealer (I lease, so I didn't have the option to 'buy' locally) but after twisting their arm to give me a test drive, I did tell them that I would at least have the car serviced there!

They're primarily a Vauxhall dealer, I believe - so at least there's a possibility some of the workshop team might have previous EV experience through Amperas...and the guy who took me on my test drive was an EV enthusiast.

We'll see. Service isn't due until late September/early October, so by then, there may be more clarity about what further SW updates are available...

Glad I got the first three services at no cost when I bought the car!
Me too, but I can't help feeling like I've lost out a bit somewhere since they introduced the low mileage service schedule, my 3 free services were based on the 10k schedule but I do less than 3k miles a year. I wonder if it will cost me the full £400+ for the 4th service where they change the fluids, or will they hold off on the fluids until I've done 40K miles. Having said that I may not have the car then anyway depending on the cost to change to the updated long range ZS.

@ChrisR - Are you sure that this applies to vehicles purchased before July '21?

I just checked the MG Australia website and they list the service pricing by vehicle year. Everything prior to July '21 is listed as still having the 12 month service intervals. This means that years 1, 3, 5 etc. incur a $171 charge each year.

They even split out model year '21 into pre and post July, meaning a pre-July model pays the higher servicing despite being the same vehicle.

@ChrisR - Are you sure that this applies to vehicles purchased before July '21?

I just checked the MG Australia website and they list the service pricing by vehicle year. Everything prior to July '21 is listed as still having the 12 month service intervals. This means that years 1, 3, 5 etc. incur a $171 charge each year.

They even split out model year '21 into pre and post July, meaning a pre-July model pays the higher servicing despite being the same vehicle.
Hmm, looks like you're right @kesselrig. I was just going off the news item which I assumed was a straight press release from MG.

Quite odd they they will have not only different prices but different service interval for essentially the same car. Unless the newer ones have more changes than we've been told. I must say though, despite the extra cost, I won't mind having the car looked at each year.

Mine will be pre-July 2021 being built March 2021, but it really doesn't make sense why it would be on different service scheduling if the cars are not drastically different. Only thing that changed was the recent $1k increase of the model in July.

It's just a little confusing. Welcome the fixed pricing though.

I would prefer less scheduling if I wasn't travelling high k's (and with the lockdowns, there's not much movement at the moment).

...if I recall correctly, the NZ price schedule is also pre-determined.

Curious, given the now two year service interval in Australia:

What do expereinced owners do regularly in terms of 'self-servicing' their ZS EVs?
Checking fluids I guess, which ones; tyres obviously.
Any good tips?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom