MG Customer Service

fracturedrainbow

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Possibly setting off a small detonation here BUT has anyone had any success with MG customer service? I've had issues with my 2 month old MG4, which are being put down to the known oil leak issue. I'm not convinced of this. They are doing the rebreather fit. Don't know which version this is. But tried to escalate my complaint with customer service to Gary Smart and have basically been shut down, he's not interested and has stated no further dialogue will be entered into with him. Purely go via the dealer. I have no issues with the dealer's communication or customer service. They are essentially hobbled by MG however. I wasn't rude or abusive, merely highlighted the many problems I had with MG and MG Assist. Not. Interested.

I have reported my fault to DVSA but this lack of any ownership (or even acknowledgement) from MG is infuriating. I want to escalate but the buck apparently stops with him.

Possibly setting off a small detonation here BUT has anyone had any success with MG customer service? I've had issues with my 2 month old MG4, which are being put down to the known oil leak issue. I'm not convinced of this. They are doing the rebreather fit. Don't know which version this is. But tried to escalate my complaint with customer service to Gary Smart and have basically been shut down, he's not interested and has stated no further dialogue will be entered into with him. Purely go via the dealer. I have no issues with the dealer's communication or customer service. They are essentially hobbled by MG however. I wasn't rude or abusive, merely highlighted the many problems I had with MG and MG Assist. Not. Interested.

I have reported my fault to DVSA but this lack of any ownership (or even acknowledgement) from MG is infuriating. I want to escalate but the buck apparently stops with him.
Can I ask what the issues are?

You will find lots of comments in this forum if you search Gary Smart. None are complimentary.

I sometimes wish I'd never joined this forum as it's putting me right off buying the car.

I agree with the above that you won’t find any complementary comments on here re Mr Smart. My experience was that he was evasive, rude, unhelpful and when challenged stopped responding. I haven’t seen anyone have a different experience. My conclusion is that MG Customer Services are a complete waste of time and they have a deliberate policy to be unhelpful and direct you back to the dealer, shutting down communication if you challenge.

I have had many issues but I do like my MG4, it is because of my experience of MG customer care and the similar reports of others that my next car will not be an MG!

Surely not this Gary Smart...his resume is outstanding;

About​

Experienced Customer Service Coordinator with a demonstrated 20 year+ history of working in the automotive industry. I am skilled in both man management and case management alike. During the past 10 years I have worked as a senior case manager for major motor manufacturers, responding to all high level customer cases, which will include legal cases and vehicle rejections.

I am fully up to date with the latest consumer legislation and I regularly respond on behalf of the Managing Director and Senior Managers, whether this be verbal or written correspondence.

I am the main escalation point for all customer enquiries and complaints at MG Motor UK Ltd and fully responsible for the Goodwill budget of the company. For those of you that don't know, MG Motor UK Ltd, is currently the fastest growing motor manufacturer in the UK. (Just thought I would throw that in there).

I am a trusted and popular member of any team that I become involved with, and the particular set of skills I have developed, make me extremely valuable in any customer service/complaint handling environment.

About​

Experienced Customer Service Coordinator with a demonstrated 20 year+ history of working in the automotive industry. I am skilled in both man management and case management alike. During the past 10 years I have worked as a senior case manager for major motor manufacturers, responding to all high level customer cases, which will include legal cases and vehicle rejections.

I am fully up to date with the latest consumer legislation and I regularly respond on behalf of the Managing Director and Senior Managers, whether this be verbal or written correspondence.

I am the main escalation point for all customer enquiries and complaints at MG Motor UK Ltd and fully responsible for the Goodwill budget of the company. For those of you that don't know, MG Motor UK Ltd, is currently the fastest growing motor manufacturer in the UK. (Just thought I would throw that in there).

I am a trusted and popular member of any team that I become involved with, and the particular set of skills I have developed, make me extremely valuable in any customer service/complaint handling
I think this will be deleted, but even the Resume is arrogant

Can I ask what the issues are?

You will find lots of comments in this forum if you search Gary Smart. None are complimentary.

I sometimes wish I'd never joined this forum as it's putting me right off buying the car.
After 2 months (of loving the car tbf) and no issues, I suddenly had a flash up of "Motor Fault" and the car stopped. I restarted, all fine, 2 mins later (on a hill) same issue. As I travel the M25, I couldn't risk it. Dealer told me the oil was black, mostly gone and had swarf. Now I'm told it's the "known oil leak" and requires a rebreather.

Delete away I say...it's in the public domain in linkedin for anybody to have a gander at. His idea of customer service and this forums seems poles apart...a wall rather than a door imo.

Delete away I say...it's in the public domain in linkedin for anybody to have a gander at. His idea of customer service and this forums seems poles apart...a wall rather than a door imo.
This is my main issue. How on earth can he read an email from a customer listing customer service issues and just say "I won't enter into any further conversation" with no acknowledgement to the issues? Where else do I take this?

About​

I am a trusted and popular member of any team that I become involved with, and the particular set of skills I have developed, make me extremely valuable in any customer service/complaint handling environment.
If you Google the definition of pure "B-ll Sh-t",you get to read above CV😱

fully responsible for the Goodwill budget of the company

They HAVE a goodwill budget???

It could be alleged that it's run out by now which is why they are so evasive??

This is my main issue. How on earth can he read an email from a customer listing customer service issues and just say "I won't enter into any further conversation" with no acknowledgement to the issues? Where else do I take this?
Time for a full-on social media escalation! He'll soon change his tune if you splatter this stuff all over Facebook, Instagram and Twitter...

My opinion of MG customer service and the head of complaints department is no secret. Be advised that I got a warning when I shared his email address on here and I was told personal details were not to be shared on here.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back