• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG EV Echo Dot installation

Dr Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
The Echo Dot fits perfectly in the MGEV cupholder to add Alexa app applications. I can now use voice commands to open my gates, turn on driveway lights, house lights. Turn on and set house heating receive notifications from Amazon etc,etc.

image.jpg

That's awesome. How did you connect it to the internet? We haven't got our MG ZS Ev yet. It's on order.

There is now Echo Auto available in the UK however you can pick up a 2nd generation dot for about £18 as opposed to £50 for echo auto. I could not find anywhere to neatly fit the echo auto whereas the dot looks as if it was factory installed.

ISTR seeing a dash cam with Alexa built in somewhere on the web.

You can ask Google to do the same thing through the voice control when connected to Android Auto.

I don't get this. If you have an iPhone/Android phone you can connect it to Carplay/Android Auto - the they work with Siri/Google assistant. So you should be able to do this just with your phone and not need an Alexa device.

I don't get this. If you have an iPhone/Android phone you can connect it to Carplay/Android Auto - the they work with Siri/Google assistant. So you should be able to do this just with your phone and not need an Alexa device.
If you want to control lighting/heating etc in your home which has an echo dot/Alexa system then you do need an Alexa device in your MG in order to operate devices purely by voice commands.

Nope just use the alexa app
How do you use the Alexa app while driving your car without touching your phone. Using your phone by touching while driving is an offence as I understand it. I can for example respond to Alexa notifications while driving car purely using voice commands

Just that I can understand, how do I control and access my Alexa systems through android auto voice commands?

I’m pretty sure it’s like the Google Assistant. Once my android phone is connected to Android Auto I can press the talk button on the steering wheel and ask the google assistant to do things. If I have google home I could say “hey Google, turn on my heating”

I’ve seen web articles saying you can do the same with Siri on your iphone and have Siri talk to Alexa - here’s an example Alexa iPhone app can operate hands-free – with help from Siri - 9to5Mac

If you want to control lighting/heating etc in your home which has an echo dot/Alexa system then you do need an Alexa device in your MG in order to operate devices purely by voice commands.
Google Home also integrates with home automation and responds to voice commands.
I use it to turn lights on from in the car.
Samsung phones also have the Samsung smart home app but not tried it.

I’m pretty sure it’s like the Google Assistant. Once my android phone is connected to Android Auto I can press the talk button on the steering wheel and ask the google assistant to do things. If I have google home I could say “hey Google, turn on my heating”

I’ve seen web articles saying you can do the same with Siri on your iphone and have Siri talk to Alexa - here’s an example Alexa iPhone app can operate hands-free – with help from Siri - 9to5Mac
Sounds complicated, my solution is better, imho.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom