• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG EV Echo Dot installation

As the original poster I was just trying to be helpful to give MGEV owners options. It was not meant to be a debate on systems other than the Alexa, as I only have the Alexa system in my home and thought it would be interesting to try to set it up in my MG and get it working.

I do not use android auto as my phone uses wireless charging and the phone usb port is not available. If you look closely at my original posted photograph you will be able to see my wireless charging pad above the drive selector dial. This is another convenience I have added to my MG, which is very useful, and usually only found on much more expensive cars.

As the original poster I was just trying to be helpful to give MGEV owners options. It was not meant to be a debate on systems other than the Alexa, as I only have the Alexa system in my home and thought it would be interesting to try to set it up in my MG and get it working.

I do not use android auto as my phone uses wireless charging and the phone usb port is not available. If you look closely at my original posted photograph you will be able to see my wireless charging pad above the drive selector dial. This is another convenience I have added to my MG, which is very useful, and usually only found on much more expensive cars.
Dave, I wasn’t trying to put your solution down I just didn’t understand it as I’ve done something similar without the need for an Echo and thought others might want to too.

My wife's Zoe has a built-in charging pad but neither of our phones support wireless charging unfortunately!

My wife's Zoe has a built-in charging pad but neither of our phones support wireless charging unfortunately!
There are adapters you can get which will enable contactless charging. I have a Motorola G6 play which is not wireless charging capable but was looking at one of these to make it wireless chargeable. What made me not go for it was that I wouldn’t be able to connect it via cable (ie in my ZS) when the wireless charge adapter was plugged in.

Unfortunately, no good if you have an iPhone.

I have completely automated most of my home to run with Apple Home Pod and of course "Siri".

Only limited devices at the moment work with Home Pod but loads out there work with Alexa and Android applications.

Also anything that is Home Pod compatible tend to be highly inflated in price, probably something to do with the Apple licensing.

Unfortunately, no good if you have an iPhone.

I have completely automated most of my home to run with Apple Home Pod and of course "Siri".

Only limited devices at the moment work with Home Pod but loads out there work with Alexa and Android applications.

Also anything that is Home Pod compatible tend to be highly inflated in price, probably something to do with the Apple licensing.
Andy if you’re connected to CarPlay can’t you ask Siri to do stuff in the same way?

Andy if you’re connected to CarPlay can’t you ask Siri to do stuff in the same way?
Hi Pete,

Yes your right, the automation of the home works fine with Siri when away, I was mainly referring to Alexa and interfacing with iPhone, with iPhone of course being IOS and not Android.

The only thing I don't like is Messages when connected to Car Play, the system reads them out to you but you cannot see the actual written message on the info screen.

But I have to say it is quite good at reading the message back to you and tends to get most of it correct every time.

Andy (Blackpool UK)

You can't read your full message on Android Auto. It will only preview the first line or two.

Finally my NDA has expired - Smartthings is coming as an app to andriod auto, along with other features that will not come to a uk car and without the car hardware being updated (smart keys etc). So If you have an smartthings hub in the background controlling smart items then all go. I don't know when smartthings app will update/launch but then i find out - i'll post.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom