Mg hs phev: EV mode default

Mine is always EV mode off when I start the car. EV mode entry not supported for few minutes then only after reaching certain speed I'm able to enable. Is it expected behavior?? Please advise
You can't have EV mode if the car needs heating to reach the desired temperature. Once desired temperature is reached, the heater switches off and you can select EV mode. Alternatively, switch off climate control. The heater relies on the combustion engine for heat. A bit rubbish I know. My previous hybrid BMW 330e used the battery power to heat the car in EV mode. This obviously impacts the EV range. MG doesn't give you an option.

Come winter, or when the car is covered in snow and the windows are iced over, I normally put a small fan heater in the cabin while I have a cuppa, the days of de-icing and scraping are now a distant memory. So, if I have warmed up the interior nicely then would the engine, being very cold, kick in even though the cabin temp is at a nice 20C?

Are we getting a bit picky about using a little bit of petrol to clear frost and snow, think of all the petrol saving in for 10 months of the year.
Not at all, I am the one that has to de-ice 2 cars, it is apparently a Blue task not a Pink task :unsure: . I would rather be indoors with a cuppa than outside in the snow with arthritis in my toe . I would not leave the car with the engine running as that would invalidate my insurance should some low life steal it. (has happened).
The latest (hopeful) delivery date on my car is now end of February 22 so should miss this winters freeze up.

Are we getting a bit picky about using a little bit of petrol to clear frost and snow, think of all the petrol saving in for 10 months of the year.
Our Leaf and my previous Outlander could both do programmed / remote heating / deicing. Having to use Petrol feels primitive

Here on my island of Gozo, Malta when I get in my HS PHEV and hit "Start" button the screen shows EV mode but the EV select button on console is unlit. For me, once I have exited garage, I select EV only (Green Light Indication Permanent) as this then gives me all electric. However, when I stop engine after park up say for shopping or ferry, when I restart it has reverted. So, procedure is repeated. As my average daily kilomage is around 8-10 kms including short uphill sorties I have no need for the petrol engine to engage. Just thought I would share my usage.
Ciao.

I have discovered that when EV mode says 'NO!' it means 'NO!'

There have been times when I left it in EV mode that when started again it remained in EV mode, only to shut off EV mode after about 100 meters, but then under exactly the same conditions it remains in EV mode.

As for the estimated milage remaining that is displayed, that can vary like the current crypto currency rates.

Seems to be when the outside air is cold (and the car and engine are cold) the heater calls for heat for the interior and this contravenes an EV condition. So EV mode is not available. Pretty consistent on my car. :)

Never had that what u guys are saying....when I don't ask for heating , and I put in in EV it just stays in EV mode..

Unless I step on its tail and I want to go from 70km/h to 130-140 km/h then the ice kicks in.

And I have noticed today...when it's below 5°c it starts in auto mode only.

Hello
you will find in the user manual that there are list of certain requirements to be met for the EV mode to work. If one is lost then it switch back to hybrid mode. Now the colder weather is coming you wil find it will start more in hybrid mode, but after a mile or so you will be able to go in to EV mode, But if one of the list is lost driving a long it will go back to hybrid mode.
As to the tail gate you will find that after a time the car goes to sleep and when it does that it times out the tail gate and just opening a door wakes up the car and the tail gate will close.
Yes, I understand there are parameters to be met for EV mode, but once selected it should automatically revert to EV when all parameters met. Not require manual selection over and over. Very disappointing.

Yes, I understand there are parameters to be met for EV mode, but once selected it should automatically revert to EV when all parameters met. Not require manual selection over and over. Very disappointing.
Then all want to drive in EV all of the time should have purchased a full EV car, at the time the rage was not very good when I purchased my car if I could afford one now then I would change over now as the rage is a lot better and the charging infrastructure is getting better.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom