MG ismart app - unable to register

That's the issue I have, user option not under setting to scan. It's a new 2022 model. Software upgrade needed?
On the Trophy (not connect) the QR code can be found under the settings menu, on the RH side you must scroll down to the bottom, the last option should say Bind.

I have been using my app quite nicely then last week, it stopped working. The app was failing to scan the vehicle. Tried to log out but then when tried to log in, account not recognised. Tried to rebind but vehicle said car and phone already bound. Deleted app and reinstalled...twice. Now unable to log on or register. Been trying for days now. Any clues please? Many thanks,Bren

I have been using my app quite nicely then last week, it stopped working. The app was failing to scan the vehicle. Tried to log out but then when tried to log in, account not recognised. Tried to rebind but vehicle said car and phone already bound. Deleted app and reinstalled...twice. Now unable to log on or register. Been trying for days now. Any clues please? Many thanks,Bren

That's happened to me as well. I was logged out, logged back in and now it won't connect. I've sent feedback via the app but not expecting to hear anything.

On the Trophy model you can unbind your phone. Might be worth trying that or contact mg UK who can unbind it from their end.

On the Trophy model you can unbind your phone. Might be worth trying that or contact mg UK who can unbind it from their end.
I think tats my last line of enquiry. Don’t suppose you know how to contact them as I can’t see any app related contact details? Many thanks 🙏

Sounds like a server issue wherever MG has their servers. My Peugeot App is always having server issues. Don't think Peugeot had updated their servers since Ada Lovelace installed them way back when 😂

My Peugeot App is always having server issues. Don't think Peugeot had updated their servers since Ada Lovelace installed them way back when 😂
I couldn’t agree more - My Peugeot App seems to think I haven’t moved out of my garage for days at a time! Pointless giving them ‘feedback’ as nothing seems to improve.

My app has been down for the last few days. I have tried everything! I am now putting it down to a server issue. As their seems to be a few people with app issues. Mine is saying it cannot find the cars GPS.

I have noticed that the app fails to scan the car when it is left for a couple of days as if the car goes into deep sleep. Unlocking and locking the car restores full app functionality.

Just tried my app and its working fine (UK Trophy) took about 10 sec to connect to the server and get details from the car. Initially it said no GPS, but on refresh it worked fine. So I don't think it's a permanent issue, probably a intermittent comms issue.

I wonder if the "use your phone as the key" needs the server to unlock and start the car.

I was actually thinking of using my phone as the key, so i did not have to have the physical key on me at all, but if this function is realised via the server i am not going to do that, as it seems the server is pretty unreliable...At best.

I wonder if the "use your phone as the key" needs the server to unlock and start the car.

I was actually thinking of using my phone as the key, so i did not have to have the physical key on me at all, but if this function is realised via the server i am not going to do that, as it seems the server is pretty unreliable...At best.
Tesla had a similar thing a few months ago, when owners could not get into the car via a digital pass key.
The key card on the “B” pillar functioned okay, but not everybody was carrying them !.
Can you set up the digital key and still use the fob, should the server be down ?.
You would expect so !.
If so, you have three options.
The pass key, the fob remote and manual back up inside the key.
I would never trust the pass key method and leave fob at home, far to risky !.

Tesla had a similar thing a few months ago, when owners could not get into the car via a digital pass key.
The key card on the “B” pillar functioned okay, but not everybody was carrying them !.
Can you set up the digital key and still use the fob, should the server be down ?.
You would expect so !.
If so, you have three options.
The pass key, the fob remote and manual back up inside the key.
I would never trust the pass key method and leave fob at home, far to risky !.
The problem with "Still use the fob if the server is down" does not help a whole lot, if i travel 150 miles from home for a meeting and when i want to go home i can not unlock the car and/or start it, because some server is down.

If they made it so that the app connected directly to the car, and sent some sort of unique key to unlock it so it worked with the server down, i would trust it, but if proximity unlock relies on the server, being able to actually validate the unlock, then i will not.

The easiest way to make the car unlock if i am near would be to look for my bluetooth MAC, and if it could "see" that, it would unlock.

But not terribly safe, as it is very easy to spoof a Bluetooth MAC....And offcourse get the right MAC, when i leave the car.

I guess the keycard on the door, on the Tesla is some sort of RFID card...That i suspect is a bit more safe than most access cards, used in buildings as a keycard or access card.

I guess the keycard on the door, on the Tesla is some sort of RFID card...That i suspect is a bit more safe than most access cards, used in buildings as a keycard or access card.
I guess you are right !.
I don’t have enough faith in the pass key 🔑/ server access to move across, to be honest.
The remote fob has a tried and tested formula that has worked pretty well for years now.
It’s my favoured choice of entry.
It works on a frequency that both the car and the key understands.
It’s similar to a remote electric door garage opening device really.
I App is a bit flaky and can report incorrect info.
I requested the heating to start one morning last week and it worked just fine.
A couple of days latter I did the same thing, this time it did not work even though I received a “Success” message on my phone.
When I entered the car and booted it up, the HVAC started straight away ?.
Go figure ?????.

I guess you are right !.
I don’t have enough faith in the pass key 🔑/ server access to move across, to be honest.
The remote fob has a tried and tested formula that has worked pretty well for years now.
It’s my favoured choice of entry.
It works on a frequency that both the car and the key understands.
It’s similar to a remote electric door garage opening device really.
I App is a bit flaky and can report incorrect info.
I requested the heating to start one morning last week and it worked just fine.
A couple of days latter I did the same thing, this time it did not work even though I received a “Success” message on my phone.
When I entered the car and booted it up, the HVAC started straight away ?.
Go figure ?????.
I really hope that "Can be updated OTA" will actually mean "WILL be updated OTA"

I once bought a Chinese android radio for my car, it works fine, and it was also sold as "OTA upgradable" but to this day, 5 years later, i am still awaiting the first OTA update.

"it is possible" does not mean "it will happen" apparantly.

I once wrote them, and they said "No, the radio would not be able to run any later versions of android"....After which i found someone else, that made an alternative version for my radio, and i was able to upgrade it from android 4 to android 5.

Also there were bugs, that were reported, but never changed.

It felt a lot like "We will promise you whatever but not actually deliver when we got your money"

I REALLY hope this is not the case with the ZS :)

I really hope that "Can be updated OTA" will actually mean "WILL be updated OTA"

I once bought a Chinese android radio for my car, it works fine, and it was also sold as "OTA upgradable" but to this day, 5 years later, i am still awaiting the first OTA update.

"it is possible" does not mean "it will happen" apparantly.

I once wrote them, and they said "No, the radio would not be able to run any later versions of android"....After which i found someone else, that made an alternative version for my radio, and i was able to upgrade it from android 4 to android 5.

Also there were bugs, that were reported, but never changed.

It felt a lot like "We will promise you whatever but not actually deliver when we got your money"

I REALLY hope this is not the case with the ZS :)
To be fair, Miles did say that "Certain" larger updates may still require a dealer visit.
Talk of applying large updates, sends a cold shiver down my spine !.
My previous car was a very early addition of a Golf PHEV.
When it was submitted for it's first service, it had no less than 13 updates done at the same time.
I spoke to the EV Tech when I collected the car and he said that in his 15 years as a VW Tech, that was the largest amount of updates he had applied to one car at the same time !.
Almost every module on the car was updated.
Thank the Lord it all went according to plan and the car worked great !.
Some dealers had a hard time installing the updates on the Gen1 ZS EV.

To be fair, Miles did say that "Certain" larger updates may still require a dealer visit.
Talk of applying large updates, sends a cold shiver down my spine !.
My previous car was a very early addition of a Golf PHEV.
When it was submitted for it's first service, it had no less than 13 updates done at the same time.
I spoke to the EV Tech when I collected the car and he said that in his 15 years as a VW Tech, that was the largest amount of updates he had applied to one car at the same time !.
Almost every module on the car was updated.
Thank the Lord it all went according to plan and the car worked great !.
Some dealers had a hard time installing the updates on the Gen1 ZS EV.
Honestly, as long as they do updates and they are free of charge i am all for it. I would expect them to put it on the update computer, every time it goes in for a service and they just update the needed firmware at that time.

We just have to accept that cars are a lot more like mobile phones, full of software, and software needs "tweaking".

As long as i am not charged everytime it needs an update i am happy.

My current car, had a bug in the infotainment system, where it would not connect correctly via Android Auto 9 times out of 10, this was an early software version bug, that was fixed already in the second version for that radio.

The radio had all of the hardware to make it possible to do OTA upgrades, but the manufacturer never implemented it, so i had to go to a certified garage, and have them do the update, at the cost of £150 which i frankly found pretty unfair. I mean, they sold me a car with an advertised feature, that had a bug, and then they charged me to have the infotainment upgraded, to fix the bug.

This, along with other grievances is why i opted to not buy any more cars of that brand, even though i have never owned a car that was not of this brand.

Hi my problem is a bit different, I have just purchased the car and can’t unbind the car because someone else set it up on there phone ! Mg and the dealers don’t seam to take it seriously that who ever has binded my car can not only find it but unlock it plus other things . If my insurance knew this they would have kittens ! This is a major security issue that mg has to address

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom