MG iSmart with car on wifi connection only?

highsider

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Has anyone been able to connect to their MG4 using wifi only?

My MG is connected to our wifi and I have mobile/cell access to the car. However, our house is in an area with a very poor mobile/cell signal. Our phones have to be on wifi calling at home - it's that bad. When I try to connect to the car using wifi only at home, it doesn't want to know. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?

We have a very similar situation in that the mobile network is not good, albeit we have full 900mb fibre from EE, Im not sure anyone of the 3rd parties support WIFI calling etc., we have a crazy situation in that the smart meter wont connect via O2 3G at 256mbps, but have a thousand to 4 x thousand? times quicker home network? - to be honest im not sure what the app is for in anycase?

No. In Australia, the Infotainment SIM chip uses the Vodaphone network & this has no relationship to local wifi or not. iSmart has enough useful fetaures to make it worthwhile for us: remote charging control, find my car & GPS. remote activation of pre-heating or pre-cooling etc.

Thanks for the responses. I agree - iSmart is useful, but it seems to only work off the cell/mobile network. When parked at home with no cell/mobile network available, the only means we have is wifi. Some other manufactures/models allow communication with the car by either method. It doesn't seem to be the case for the MG.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back