MG Loughborough - car crashes through front door!

Tiny Tim

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
BBC News - Sandicliffe showroom damaged as car smashes into building

It would seem the driver wasn't badly hurt and, if they read this forum- I hope you are well.

I can't tell what the car model was, or if it was an EV, but it looks like it might be the problem of accelerator instead of brake again. Whether it was that in this situation or not, this issue needs a solution quickly. With an ICE car the engine noise gives away the error, but EVs don't do that and, especially for those test driving an EV for the first time and even more especially if they are used to a manual ICE, the delay between pressing the wrong pedal and realising will cost lives. The quietness (and rapid initial acceleration) of an EV is great, but this creates other problems awaiting a solution.

What simple and unannoying signal could be created that instantly informs a driver they've pressed the accelerator? Or do all EV's need (effective) automatic braking? Some underappreciated engineer (and/or law-maker) will surely figure a solution out - may it be an elegant and effective one, and soon.

Just reread the report - another car was involved, so it looks like this was the end result of another incident, so probably not an accelerator issue in the one.

BBC News - Sandicliffe showroom damaged as car smashes into building

It would seem the driver wasn't badly hurt and, if they read this forum- I hope you are well.

I can't tell what the car model was, or if it was an EV, but it looks like it might be the problem of accelerator instead of brake again. Whether it was that in this situation or not, this issue needs a solution quickly. With an ICE car the engine noise gives away the error, but EVs don't do that and, especially for those test driving an EV for the first time and even more especially if they are used to a manual ICE, the delay between pressing the wrong pedal and realising will cost lives. The quietness (and rapid initial acceleration) of an EV is great, but this creates other problems awaiting a solution.

What simple and unannoying signal could be created that instantly informs a driver they've pressed the accelerator? Or do all EV's need (effective) automatic braking? Some underappreciated engineer (and/or law-maker) will surely figure a solution out - may it be an elegant and effective one, and soon.
If someone needs an alarm to tell them they are pressing the accelerator perhaps they shouldn't be driving. This is no different to driving an automatic ICE vehicle, if you press the accelerator it moves, press the brake it stops, this should be sufficient enough of a clue as to which you have pressed.

Looks like a close call for the Silver ZS EV Gen 2 in the showroom, thats for sure !.
Nobody seriously hurt thank goodness !.

MG Showroom Crash 1 2022-12-06 at 13.23.55.png

MG Showroom Crash 2   2022-12-06 at 13.23.39.png

I would suggest that the forward motion of the vehicle should be somewhat of a giveaway that the "go" pedal is being operated.

Far more of an issue is that people seem to mash the pedals with little or no finesse, leading to problems when they inevitably lose control.

I would suggest that the forward motion of the vehicle should be somewhat of a giveaway that the "go" pedal is being operated.
And a squeaky dog toy under the brake pedal?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221215_114757.jpg
    Screenshot_20221215_114757.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 71
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom