MG Motors have posted on Twitter the Cyberster - ME LIKE!

Without a translation a lot of detail is missed but we clearly see:
  • Electrically operated scissor doors and hood
  • Hood folds compactly into its own recess
  • Boot looks like it would be a decent size but maybe restricted aperture
  • Bonnet is huge, surely there will be a frunk/froot?
  • Cabin space looks limited but hard to tell from the camera angle, width is good.

given there arent any official figures yet im still putting these prices as journo faf. but for what its with if its £50k+ it would be madness and a complete flop IMHO.
Easy to forget that £40k puts it in the tax bracket for luxury cars which EVs will be paying

no reason in my mind that this (base level) should be any more than the MG4, the whole point is its a modular platform with a different shell on top.
of course the dual motor variant would be more

given there arent any official figures yet im still putting these prices as journo faf. but for what its with if its £50k+ it would be madness and a complete flop IMHO.
Easy to forget that £40k puts it in the tax bracket for luxury cars which EVs will be paying

no reason in my mind that this (base level) should be any more than the MG4, the whole point is its a modular platform with a different shell on top.
Video walkarounds have started appearing in the relevant thread.
Even at £50-60k, it's still only half the likely price of its competition - the Tesla Roadster & Porsche Boxster EV.

At 50-60k badge snobbery will be high on the radar, and all the software bugs will need to be ironed out.

Video walkarounds have started appearing in the relevant thread.
Even at £50-60k, it's still only half the likely price of its competition - the Tesla Roadster & Porsche Boxster EV.
There will be no cross-shopping between a Chinese MG and a Porsche, except in China.

I'm pretty sure the dynamics of this car will be gash.

Its like comparing Waitrose and Poundland. Superficially looks good, but poke around, and underneath the bones will be from one from one of the cheapest EVs on the market, and it will show.

Will it raise the image of the rest of the brand. What did the original Hyundai Scoupe (also had a silly sportscar name) do for Hyundai? Not a lot.

4SZwzM7.jpeg

The "legend" being something like the MGB, weighing in at 1.2 tonnes. The return is a porker, at 1.8 tonnes, which is about what a Ford F-series truck starts at. Now, maybe all EVs are heavy weights right now.

I suspect MG will get bedazzled, and believe their own guff, and price this car too high. No one outside of China will get to drive this car until 2024 (curious, no European chassis development). By the time it gets to market, the Renault Alpine A110 E-Ternite will be there, and at 1.4 tonnes, will wipe the floor with the MG. MG might cut the price, but the damage will be done. No one will care about the price, only that its crap against the European competition.

On the other hand, MG might wise up and price it cheaply from the getgo. But they won't.
I’d take the MG Cyberster over that Renault A110 anyday. The Alpine is dumpy and slow compared to the Cyberster.

Might do better with the sister car - Renault 5 EV. Not quite as powerful, but you get an extra seat.
Or Mazda's recently announced MX5 EV

There is no recently announced MX5 eV. Mazda has said the MX5 will be the last to be "electrified". Given the MX-30 has been taken off the US market because its so bad, don't hold your breath. I think there is a distinct possibility that Mazda, at least how it it presently constituted, won't make it into the 2030s.

It is not possible to currently build an electric MX5 that follows the 30 year old formula of jinba ittai. There is a fair chance come 2030, the ND-derivative MX5 will be retired with no immediate replacement, until maybe 2035-40.

Not according to this guy who does a lot of EV reviews:

MG are dead set on £50 to £60,000. It will be more common on Chinese soil at $36,000. I don't envisage MG dropping the price like Tesla, Nissan and Co have dropped prices on their lineup. Unless orders are very low. Like 3 to 5 per main dealer initially.

I agree - this is not a cheap lightweight convertible MG of old. This is MG wanting to compete with Porsche. It will not be cheap.

The fact that the platform can be cheap doesn't mean the car will be - plenty of examples of expensive sports cars borrowing run of the mill platforms and modifying them. Lotuses used to have Renault 25 gearboxes. Plenty of the competition dig deep into the parts bin.

I agree - this is not a cheap lightweight convertible MG of old. This is MG wanting to compete with Porsche. It will not be cheap.

The fact that the platform can be cheap doesn't mean the car will be - plenty of examples of expensive sports cars borrowing run of the mill platforms and modifying them. Lotuses used to have Renault 25 gearboxes. Plenty of the competition dig deep into the parts bin.
And DeLoreans used to have the entire (somewhat asthmatic) Renault 25 V6 drivetrain

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom