MG resolving main 12V battery problem??

Sinc

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Have started a new thread, as believe this will bring together a number of threads on the subject matter. My vehicle is a ZS EV LR '23 reg. Briefly, low voltage 12V battery died after approx 3 months, in Aug, again in Nov, Jan and Feb this year. MG Assist called each time, quick charge and car ok again. Dealership informed and apart from Nov, car seen by dealership each time. After Nov failure, dealership stated that if happens again, tell AA to bring to them without charging. AA refused that request, as their brief is to get you going again. When failed for fourth time in Feb, afraid threw my toys out the pram at the dealership, over their apparent lack of interest in the matter. Hey ho, at least I got an explanation then.
Apparently, due to the number of faults, MG came up with a procedure in late Dec, to seperate this particular 12V problem from others,. Census, I believe, is the software/BCM is not switching everything off or maybe even turning something on. Procedure now, so I'm led to believe, is:
1) Battery checks are done on first two failures.
2) Third failure will see the BCM (body control module for the non-techs like me) tested, removed, reset and refitted.
3) Fourth failure is retesting of BCM (may be wrong about that) and it's replacement if necessary.
Fourth failure on mine has resulted in the BCM being replaced, so am hoping my 12V failure problem is fixed. Dealership did say that there had been no further failures on vehicles with BCM replacements.
Something I found quite incredulous though, was a comment from a more senior person at the dealership, was and quote 'The problem with these cars is they're Chinese', unquote!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:: Before new BCM fitted, dealership stated & quote ''never had a further failure once a new BCM fitted''. Four days after new BCM fitted, car dead again through 12V battery failure!! Battery found to be u/s, new one authorised by MG under warranty. Personally think that should have happened at same time as new BCM fitted. So...watch this space eh!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe replace the 12v battery at time of first failure? Fairly cheap and easy, especially if it sorts the problem.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom