MG take note (customer service)

bowfer

Banned
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Put my born in for a software update, not a big deal, only took an hour (but I chose to leave the car with them all day).
This comes in the post today (there’s more under the first layer, bottles of drink)
All those months of hassle with my 4 and nothing from MG…
Yes you can try arguing my SE was cheaper than my born, but the Trophy isn’t….

Attachments

• IMG_4521.jpeg
    IMG_4521.jpeg
    608.4 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_4522.jpeg
    IMG_4522.jpeg
    780.7 KB · Views: 188
I got a bunch of flowers when I took my SE home. Probable cost to them, maybe £8. Actual value to them in terms of inducing warm fuzzy feelings in the customer, incalculable.

You are so right. There's absolutely no need for anyone to treat a customer the way you were treated by your MG dealer.

I got nothing other than paint protection that I didn’t particularly want. Now you mention it, I’ve always received free gifts with previous new cars I’ve bought (even some nearly new ones).

I got nothing other than paint protection that I didn’t particularly want. Now you mention it, I’ve always received free gifts with previous new cars I’ve bought (even some nearly new ones).

This is a gift from the service department.
I got all sorts of stuff including free Cupra trainers (yes really) when I bought it.

I got a bunch of flowers when I took my SE home. Probable cost to them, maybe £8. Actual value to them in terms of inducing warm fuzzy feelings in the customer, incalculable.

You are so right. There's absolutely no need for anyone to treat a customer the way you were treated by your MG dealer.

If you were to check back you’ll see I don’t really blame the dealer.
I think they were being hamstrung by MG.
Everything comes from the top down, this gift is straight from Cupra and not my dealer.
Top down….

I've started to read right through your thread. (Also wondering vaguely if I'll find out what Stageshoot was banned for!) It's a complete horror story. They should have replaced that car at a relatively early stage in these proceedings.

MG used to provide a MG teddy with each service.

IMG_2284.jpeg

Outside the scope of this forum, but how are you finding the Born, @bowfer? I liked the look of that, but the smooth non-tactile buttons on the steering wheel put me off (yes, fussy, I know ;)).

Outside the scope of this forum, but how are you finding the Born, @bowfer? I liked the look of that, but the smooth non-tactile buttons on the steering wheel put me off (yes, fussy, I know ;)).
Yes, I'm interested, too. Especially in the notorious laggy VAG infotainment system which tends to freeze completely on longer journeys. Have they sorted that already?

I looked at the Born, but in the 'real world of 'in person viewing' was put off, the car is more expensive and has an upright / tall stance which makes it look much less attractive on the eye to me, to the point of looking a bit odd. Non-tactile buttons concerned me a bit too, wasn't sure I could live with it. All my opinions I know, cars are a very personal taste thing. MG4 made more sense to me, despite its quirks, it's the customer service bit which grinds me with MG.

I don't want to be unkind about the looks of Bowfer's car, but I happened to see a Born on Friday and didn't like the appearance. Upright and a bit boxy as you say, whereas the MG4's style appeals to me. The Born was in a horrible dull colour too. But each to his own.

Untill last Thursday when I got my 4 I'd only ever owned Seat cars. Had a very good look at the Born but just couldn't square the higher cost for a (imho) lower spec. The sales rep mentioned the Born had better plastics than the MG4. That's darn expensive plastic! 🤣

I’m liking the born.
Definitely a more premium interior than the MG, yet to find anyone who’s been in both of mine and disagrees with that.
Nicer seats, nicer trim finishing, bigger screens.
The software is fine, I’m on the latest version and it works as it should.
The steering wheel buttons don’t bother me, I don’t use them and like the touch sensitive slider for the volume at the bottom of the big screen, god knows why people moan about it not being lit at night, they must have fingers like Prince Charles. 🤷‍♂️
I like the coloured and customisable interior mood lighting, I like the born logos that light up the pavement when you open the doors, I like a stereo with proper bass.
Goes well, handles well, regularly getting over 4mpkwh without trying.
App is fine, works as it should.
All in all glad I chose it and no complaints that it’s a good bit more a month than the SE (but not much dearer than a trophy)

I don't want to be unkind about the looks of Bowfer's car, but I happened to see a Born on Friday and didn't like the appearance. Upright and a bit boxy as you say, whereas the MG4's style appeals to me. The Born was in a horrible dull colour too. But each to his own.

Fair enough, I liked the looks of the 4 myself to a degree.
The front and side are generic and inoffensive, looking like plenty of other hatchbacks in the Astra/Focus mould.
The rear always bothered me though, looking like a pagoda IMO ( can’t be a coincidence )
And the ‘shelf’ as I called it (rear spoiler) was just a pain in the winter, having to slide snow and ice off it.

I only got a short look, and obviously I didn't see inside it. That isn't much basis to be criticising its looks TBH.

My main gripe with the rear of the MG4 is that the tailgate is quite heavy to lift, I quite like the look of it. And if there is ice or snow around, Caliban is going to be tucked up safe in his nice dry garage and only allowed out for exercise.

I think if you'd got my car you'd still be an MG4 driver and loving it. (92 on the motorway by accident, before I looked at the dashboard and saw the number - I had no idea I was going that fast.) But these things happen, and I don't blame you for being disillusioned.

Fair enough, I liked the looks of the 4 myself to a degree.
The front and side are generic and inoffensive, looking like plenty of other hatchbacks in the Astra/Focus mould.
The rear always bothered me though, looking like a pagoda IMO ( can’t be a coincidence )
And the ‘shelf’ as I called it (rear spoiler) was just a pain in the winter, having to slide snow and ice off it.

Why would you get a car that you only liked the looks of 'to a degree'?

I don't see the front generic personally, I think the front is one of the best angles. It's sporty but tidy.

It looks nothing like an astra or focus to my eyes, at all. It's a hatchback, which is where the similarities end IMO. I think side profile it looks similar to the newest leaf, but not identical. Rear reminds me of the flat light housing of the civic, but only the flatness.

Seen quite a few borns kicking around my way, not my cup of tea personally. It's like they've taken the front end of the Leon and glued it to the arse end of a BMW 2 Series MPV (grand tourer?) And rebadged it with the smart looking Cupra badge.

Crazy how differently people see things. I like some of the colour options mind you.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel